Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SpuROFLs

by Simmops » 19 Apr 2021 12:45

Stranded
URZZZZ
genome
Miguel Delaney saying that Jose had lost practically the entire squad

In which case, given their poor form started around Christmas - this would have built up over time, surely the logical thing to do would have been to sack him after the embarrassing defeat in the EL. Will reiterate, 6 days before a final (and him being the only manager to have beaten Pep in a final) makes zero sense and is completely mental

Do hate player power these days. Can’t imagine Mourinho is easy to work with by any stretch, but the self entitlement of some players is disgusting

The timing does suggest "something" happened in the last day or two.

he probably has had shit simmering for a while

I am pretty sure the ESL was the tipping point

Levy probably wants that sweet nectar to cover the stadium costs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2021 12:51

Silver Fox If this is related to him somehow protesting about the Super League that makes him a man of integrity

Yeah, my guess is he didn't want to fail to win a trophy or go on performance, so can use this to make it all about how wonderful he is.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Apr 2021 13:30

Spoken to somebody ITK

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Apr 2021 14:00

Dislike him intensely though I do, he'd still be high on my list of managers to set up a team for a one-off game when appearing totally outgunned....

Definitely odd timing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Apr 2021 14:03

It would've cost a lot to sack Mourinho too.

Maybe Spurs have just come into a bit of money

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2021 14:06

Seeing Nuno Santo on the list as Jose's successor - would be an awful move

If Spurs' fans thought Mourinho's style of play was bad, Nuno's is on another level - his Wolves team have been pretty dire to watch in the last year or so

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Apr 2021 21:12

He gets them into a European Super League and then they sack him!!! :|

the game has gone

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Apr 2021 12:55

Interesting to see which players sent a message of support to Mourinho, not highly surprising. Even less surprising is that it's been revealed he was an extremely divisive manager in the dressing room, with the majority of players against him. Son, Kane, Lucas, Hojbjerg and Dier pretty much the only ones still with him

Rose, N'Dombele, Bergwijn and Alderweireld some of the stronger forms of opposition, and can't imagine Bale or Alli are particularly upset

I think what can be easily concluded is that Mourinho's tactic of criticising players in public doesn't engineer a response like it used to - partly because of the soft generation of entitled players. The players apparently asked him to stop criticising them in public but he didn't get the memo until it was too late (i.e. the comment of "same manager, different players" after Newcastle was the final straw)

Struggle to see him getting a job in English football again - although I don't think he was as bad at Spurs as people have made out (made Kane a better more rounded player, got to the cup final, 4th best in the league since his overall arrivals). Unfortunately his ego and personality has let him down here and I don't think he'll ever be able to change his ways - hence his declining success from job to job

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Apr 2021 13:59

I said 6 years ago as the Chelsea debacle was unfolding he was finished in Club Football (I'm sure Woodward and Levy wish they had been as wise) and that he would end up managing someone like Qatar at the WC.

Just you wait and see....

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Apr 2021 15:00

genome It would've cost a lot to sack Mourinho too.

Maybe Spurs have just come into a bit of money

He has earned 96 million just from sackings :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2021 00:39

Royal Rother I said 6 years ago as the Chelsea debacle was unfolding he was finished in Club Football (I'm sure Woodward and Levy wish they had been as wise) and that he would end up managing someone like Qatar at the WC.

Just you wait and see....

To be fair in the 8 seasons since SAF was sacked, Mourinho has won 75% of United’s trophies and his reign has been approximately 30% of the time - so his stint there wasn’t all bad. Sure, he made some poor decisions in the transfer market, Fred, Bailly, Lindelof, even Pogba really, but then I’d hardly argue that Maguire, WB or VDB haven’t been value for money either. Spurs less so - there’s the argument he destroyed what Pochettino created but that’s a little weak and flimsy to me given the decline in his last year in charge (aside from the obvious, of course)

National management is a decent shout and you may be right (maybe a bit higher than Qatar) - although part of me wonders if he thinks you’re too far away from the action too regularly as a national coach

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Apr 2021 03:50

URZZZZ I think what can be easily concluded is that Mourinho's tactic of criticising players in public doesn't engineer a response like it used to - partly because of the soft generation of entitled players. The players apparently asked him to stop criticising them in public but he didn't get the memo until it was too late (i.e. the comment of "same manager, different players" after Newcastle was the final straw)

Sorry, don't buy this arguement at all, it just plays to Mourinho's narrative of it never being his fault. Its the the fault if the soft, entitled players who can't handle being publicly criticised when the truth is, the only one who can't handle scrutiny is Mourinho, the most entitled, fragilest of egos of them all

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2021 09:25

From Despair To Where?
URZZZZ I think what can be easily concluded is that Mourinho's tactic of criticising players in public doesn't engineer a response like it used to - partly because of the soft generation of entitled players. The players apparently asked him to stop criticising them in public but he didn't get the memo until it was too late (i.e. the comment of "same manager, different players" after Newcastle was the final straw)

Sorry, don't buy this arguement at all, it just plays to Mourinho's narrative of it never being his fault. Its the the fault if the soft, entitled players who can't handle being publicly criticised when the truth is, the only one who can't handle scrutiny is Mourinho, the most entitled, fragilest of egos of them all

I think you’re overlooking some of the truth with your bias against him - which I guess makes sense because of the way he is. Sure, some of the blame has to be apportioned his way which he hasn’t accepted responsibility for but these players are gutless and serial losers

Under Poch, some of these players complained that they were being overworked on the training ground. Under Jose, these same players complained they were being underworked on the training ground. There’s a degree of player power at Spurs that is unhealthy - yet this player power has amounted to 0 trophies under what you’d say are two decent managers

There are so many wasters in that squad that need ironing out - Aurier, Dier, Rose, Winks, Alli, Bale etc. Poch knew that in his last 12 months but wasn’t given the opportunity to do so and ended up derailing his initial process. Mourinho knows that, but was sacked. It seems like pretty much everyone knows it except Levy. That’s where the biggest problems lay

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Apr 2021 13:55

Put this on the betting thread but will leave it here too.

Think Ryan Mason is a good bet for the next permanent Spuds manager at 14/1. Levy will be desperate to save a bit of cash after paying off Jose and the ESL collapsing. Sure he's already very popular among the players. A decent end to the season and think he's nailed on.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 21 Apr 2021 14:43

Pepe the Horseman Put this on the betting thread but will leave it here too.

Think Ryan Mason is a good bet for the next permanent Spuds manager at 14/1. Levy will be desperate to save a bit of cash after paying off Jose and the ESL collapsing. Sure he's already very popular among the players. A decent end to the season and think he's nailed on.

20 quid on

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Apr 2021 15:08

Wouldn't Ledley King have been the best option if Levy is trying to get back in with the fans?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Apr 2021 18:13

Simmops

20 quid on

After looking at the garbage he has served up in this cup final and playing an unfit Kane ahead of Bale I'd say he has every chance.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Apr 2021 18:24

Ascotexgunner
Simmops

20 quid on

After looking at the garbage he has served up in this cup final and playing an unfit Kane ahead of Bale I'd say he has every chance.

Tbf Everyone would play an unfit Kane over an Uninterested Bale.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Apr 2021 18:25

Another embarrassing performance from an awful set of players

It’s almost like the problem extends beyond the manager!

Credit to Dier who had an unusually solid game though, him, Alderweireld and Lloris about the only ones that can keep their heads high after that, the rest were really poor

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Apr 2021 18:31

Orion1871
Ascotexgunner
Simmops 20 quid on

Tbf Everyone would play an unfit Kane over an Uninterested Bale.

Bale has looked ok in recent games. And certainly created. Could you imagine paying to watch that crap in a super League. City don't even look that tired.

884 posts