319 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Champions League/Europa League 2019/20

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 11:42

stealthpapes
Hendo
genome
Both are wingers (as is Son, to be honest). It's a little embarrasing that a club of Spurs' stature let the striker situation get this far.

I guess that's the problem when you play with 1 striker who is world class, its hard to keep a good back-up happy enough to stick around.

Troy Parrott to get a chance? - maybe not in the starting XI.

or give them enough game time to keep sharp.

Easier said than done when you have someone like Kane who is responsible for so much at Spurs. But I guess it is about finding the right balance.

For example, is Wilson or Ings or someone like that willing to give up their starting position at a lesser club to sit on the bench for the majority of time at Spurs.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Feb 2020 13:24

Atletico Madrid have conceded two goals in 13 CL knockout games at home under Simeone. :shock:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Feb 2020 13:52

Sanguine Atletico Madrid have conceded two goals in 13 CL knockout games at home under Simeone. :shock:

My favourite stat: Diego Simeone has never lost a Champions League match to a team that doesn't have Ronaldo in it.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Feb 2020 15:55

Hendo
stealthpapes
Hendo
I guess that's the problem when you play with 1 striker who is world class, its hard to keep a good back-up happy enough to stick around.

Troy Parrott to get a chance? - maybe not in the starting XI.

Easier said than done when you have someone like Kane who is responsible for so much at Spurs. But I guess it is about finding the right balance.

For example, is Wilson or Ings or someone like that willing to give up their starting position at a lesser club to sit on the bench for the majority of time at Spurs.

I was agreeing with you but looking at it from another angle. Take Spurs - I reckon half of Llorente's travails was being used in such an irregular manner. Also, if the team is built up around Striker A, then Striker B may not be even remotely as good a fit. This is a problem we've had fwiw, bring in previously productive strikers to play contrary to their skillset.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 15:58

stealthpapes
Hendo
stealthpapes

I was agreeing with you but looking at it from another angle. Take Spurs - I reckon half of Llorente's travails was being used in such an irregular manner. Also, if the team is built up around Striker A, then Striker B may not be even remotely as good a fit. This is a problem we've had fwiw, bring in previously productive strikers to play contrary to their skillset.

Ah yeah, I didn't read your response correctly.

I 100% agree.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Feb 2020 16:49

Sanguine Another little Haaland factoid that I didn't know is that he played under Solskjaer at Molde, and scored four goals in 17 minutes for them with the United scouts watching.

39 goals in 29 games now this season, with a goal every 49 minutes.

The Solskjaer connection is why our Press thought Man Utd would get him but the lad had more sense going to a club that regularly qualifies for the Champs League whereas...………………………………..

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 16:57

South Coast Royal
Sanguine Another little Haaland factoid that I didn't know is that he played under Solskjaer at Molde, and scored four goals in 17 minutes for them with the United scouts watching.

The Solskjaer connection is why our Press thought Man Utd would get him but the lad had more sense going to a club that regularly qualifies for the Champs League whereas...………………………………..

Tbf, United only haven't qualified for the Champions League 4 times in 27 seasons, although 3 of them have come in the last 6 seasons.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Feb 2020 17:06

Hendo
South Coast Royal

Tbf, United only haven't qualified for the Champions League 4 times in 27 seasons, although 3 of them have come in the last 6 seasons.

And we are living in the present.
Ironically City's loss could be Utd's gain if they scrape into a 5th place.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2020 17:09

South Coast Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal

Oh of course, but scraping into a place they are only 2 points off currently? Not sure how that works... 4th is very much a possibility for them. They could scrape into 3rd if Leicester start falling away, but 4th or 5th is still very much within their grasp.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Feb 2020 17:13

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hendo

Oh of course, but scraping into a place they are only 2 points off currently? Not sure how that works... 4th is very much a possibility for them. They could scrape into 3rd if Leicester start falling away, but 4th or 5th is still very much within their grasp.

Let's see.
I rather fancy Wolves for 5th and don't see Leicester falling away to the necessary extent.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Feb 2020 18:59

Thought UEFA brought in a few years ago to say no other televised football can be on when CL games are on. City Vs West Ham on sky tonight.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Feb 2020 20:50

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Doesn't he have a "low" buy-out clause, something like €60m or something like that, if Utd got Champions League football (which isn't outside the realms of possibility) they could make a shock move for him in the summer.

I think the issue now is Haaland could have the pick of any team in world football, why would he need United? They really missed a trick not getting him before Dortmund imo.

I totally agree, I guess the pull to go to Untied would be:

a) they would literally throw money at him
b) Premier League football where he is almost guaranteed to be the number 1 striker for the next how ever many years. But then of course you have the likes of City and Liverpool to compete with his signature.

United should 100% have made him their top target in January.

I wouldn't be surprised if Haaland ended up at Madrid as the long term Benzema replacement.

who would have put crosses/through_balls in for him...Lingard?

he'd have looked shit at this United

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Feb 2020 21:24

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Doesn't he have a "low" buy-out clause, something like €60m or something like that, if Utd got Champions League football (which isn't outside the realms of possibility) they could make a shock move for him in the summer.

I think the issue now is Haaland could have the pick of any team in world football, why would he need United? They really missed a trick not getting him before Dortmund imo.

I totally agree, I guess the pull to go to Untied would be:

a) they would literally throw money at him
b) Premier League football where he is almost guaranteed to be the number 1 striker for the next how ever many years. But then of course you have the likes of City and Liverpool to compete with his signature.

United should 100% have made him their top target in January.

I wouldn't be surprised if Haaland ended up at Madrid as the long term Benzema replacement.

I would. Perez is one of that long line of people who hate Raiola and the feeling is apparently mutual.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Feb 2020 08:20

Winston Biscuit Thought UEFA brought in a few years ago to say no other televised football can be on when CL games are on. City Vs West Ham on sky tonight.

It is a rule they are fairly flexible with i.e. a game can be televised if it was already scheduled for live coverage and postponed a la last night - games cannot start at the same time though hence it being a 19.30 kick off - when games have clashed here they have started at 19:00 local time so that they are finished by the time the CL games start at 21:00.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Feb 2020 19:55

fcukin'ell that was hard work

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Feb 2020 16:28

BT's Europa Goal show was magnificent TV last night. Started at 6pm, finished at 10pm, never missed a goal or a chance, three knowledgeable panellists and James Richardson anchoring the whole affair. Brilliant.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Feb 2020 16:37

That's nice to hear because their coverage of the Liverpool game on Tuesday was pretty much just an advert for the boxing

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 21 Feb 2020 16:45

25 sheets to PPV that fight ffs. OUT.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2020 19:33

Zammo 25 sheets to PPV that fight ffs. OUT.

Christ is PPV boxing actually still a thing?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Feb 2020 10:11

Zammo BT's Europa Goal show was magnificent TV last night. Started at 6pm, finished at 10pm, never missed a goal or a chance, three knowledgeable panellists and James Richardson anchoring the whole affair. Brilliant.

I rate BT's coverage to be honest.

Just found out yesterday I can get it for £10 a month through my phone contract (which I've had for six months) :oops:

319 posts