Champions League/Europa League 2019/20

319 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Champions League/Europa League 2019/20

by URZZZZ » 17 Aug 2020 09:18

Hendo I think AWB has made the most successful tackles this season so to say his defending is just OK is a bit of a stretch.

Going forward he could certainly improve, his crossing success is only 14% from over 100 crosses which isn't great, but 4 assists from right back is fine, so far from utterly useless.

Don't really know enough about Williams, other than the fact that he is young and looks pretty energetic when playing. Thought Shaw looked back to his best before he got his injury this year.

More to defending than tackling though, think he’s just a bit too naive and rash

Given United have had no proper RW this season, they really do need more from AWB going forward. 4 assists is an OK figure, but I’d like to see a breakdown of those figures to see the sort of assists he makes

Admit it may be a bit harsh on Williams who I think is predominantly a RB but every time I’ve seen him play, he’s looked out of his depth

I think if United’s aims are just to reach the top 4, then players like AWB will suffice. But I think they need more if they want to challenge for the title again

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Aug 2020 09:21

BR0B0T
URZZZZ
BR0B0T Little unlucky...defense (bar Lindelof) was a bit shite tbf

Their goalie had a worldie!

:cry:

Your fullbacks are light years away from being good enough

Wan Bissaka is an OK defender but no more than that and going forward, he’s simply useless. Don’t see the hype over Williams, seems a bit average to me

Still, in the overall context of things, pretty meaningless, still in the CL next season

Williams is only in because Shaw is out...he's 19 and came through the ranks is why he's getting hyped, not sure he'll make it.

Wan Bissaka at the start of the season was a gr8 defender...teams didn't even bother going down that side. It was only towards the end of the season that he's had poor games. Him and Maguire have played literally every game. Does need to improve going forward.

Rashford has also reverted to type.

Im surprised given Shaw’s injury records you don’t have a proper back up LB

Your bench really does lack game changers on the whole, the only one that was really going to change anything yesterday was Mata and he’s a bit hit and miss now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Aug 2020 09:30

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
BR0B0T Little unlucky...defense (bar Lindelof) was a bit shite tbf

Their goalie had a worldie!

:cry:

Wan Bissaka is an OK defender but no more than that and going forward, he’s simply useless. Don’t see the hype over Williams, seems a bit average to me

Still, in the overall context of things, pretty meaningless, still in the CL next season

Your lack of football knowledge really shows at times, it is almost childlike.

Wan Bissaka is one of the top 3 right backs in the league. He isn't "simply useless" at anything.

Williams is a very good young player and if anything is under hyped.

Get a clue.

Trent
James
Azpilicueta
Walker
Pereira

All better fullbacks overall than AWB IMO, not necessarily at defending, but the overall game. For a team like United who want to be on the front foot and dominate games, they need their FB’s to be comfortable going forward. £50 million, even in this inflated market, is too high

On a side note, Dan James being shown up as just a speed merchant in recent weeks. Really needs to add some composure to his game or he won’t make it there

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Aug 2020 09:45

URZZZZ
BR0B0T
URZZZZ

Williams is only in because Shaw is out...he's 19 and came through the ranks is why he's getting hyped, not sure he'll make it.

Wan Bissaka at the start of the season was a gr8 defender...teams didn't even bother going down that side. It was only towards the end of the season that he's had poor games. Him and Maguire have played literally every game. Does need to improve going forward.

Rashford has also reverted to type.

Im surprised given Shaw’s injury records you don’t have a proper back up LB

Your bench really does lack game changers on the whole, the only one that was really going to change anything yesterday was Mata and he’s a bit hit and miss now

the bench is defo one of the biggest issues...hence looking at Grealish (bench) and Sancho (starter)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Aug 2020 09:53

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Your lack of football knowledge really shows at times, it is almost childlike.

Wan Bissaka is one of the top 3 right backs in the league. He isn't "simply useless" at anything.

Williams is a very good young player and if anything is under hyped.

Get a clue.

Trent
James
Azpilicueta
Walker
Pereira

All better fullbacks overall than AWB IMO, not necessarily at defending, but the overall game. For a team like United who want to be on the front foot and dominate games, they need their FB’s to be comfortable going forward. £50 million, even in this inflated market, is too high

On a side note, Dan James being shown up as just a speed merchant in recent weeks. Really needs to add some composure to his game or he won’t make it there

Who has AWB had in front of him for most of the season...Lingard, Mata, James...all very poor on the right wing

A lot of fans would consider AWB a contender for POTS based on earlier performances, whilst others don't rate him at all because of going forward

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Aug 2020 10:15

What will United do if Fernandes stops scoring penalties?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Aug 2020 10:23

Moving away from Utd for the time being.

What do we think about this 1 leg knockout at a specific venue, sort of like a mini-tournament.

I don't have BT so haven't watched the games, but by the sounds of it, they have all been pretty decent, unlike most 1st leg matches. Could be something to look at going forward?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Aug 2020 10:30

Hendo Moving away from Utd for the time being.

What do we think about this 1 leg knockout at a specific venue, sort of like a mini-tournament.

I don't have BT so haven't watched the games, but by the sounds of it, they have all been pretty decent, unlike most 1st leg matches. Could be something to look at going forward?

Yeah, I was rather sceptical of it, but I think I prefer it

Not particularly a fan of away goals, so it eradicates that

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 13:14

BR0B0T So, which prem teams are still left in Europe?

Man Utd ok until they come up against anybody decent.
Carabo Cup will probably be their target next season.

So much money spent and so little to show for it.
No wonder Sancho is thinking more than twice about leaving a good side.

Will Ashley Young and Lukaku have the last laugh?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Aug 2020 10:04

I like it and would be happy with such a permanent shift. It will always come down to money of course, so doubt we'd see a move until the next round of TV contracts are put out for tender.

The games have more on them and you have the jeopardy factor of a "big" club having a bad night and being shocked, which is harder over 2 legs. Would also free up a couple of midweek slots where domestic games could be played to allow the tournament to take place at the end of the season even if there is an international tournament.

Only downside would be where to host it each year, as if hosted at a club stadium, you are essentially handing that club home advantage for 3 rounds. Only way round that possibly is host the competition at 2 stadiums in the same country/city but not allow a team to play in their own stadium until the final i.e. Real Madrid could only play at Atletico's ground or vice versa.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Aug 2020 10:11

Stranded

I like it and would be happy with such a permanent shift. It will always come down to money of course, so doubt we'd see a move until the next round of TV contracts are put out for tender.

The games have more on them and you have the jeopardy factor of a "big" club having a bad night and being shocked, which is harder over 2 legs. Would also free up a couple of midweek slots where domestic games could be played to allow the tournament to take place at the end of the season even if there is an international tournament.

Only downside would be where to host it each year, as if hosted at a club stadium, you are essentially handing that club home advantage for 3 rounds. Only way round that possibly is host the competition at 2 stadiums in the same country/city but not allow a team to play in their own stadium until the final i.e. Real Madrid could only play at Atletico's ground or vice versa.

I was thinking about the ground issue as well, and I think that would be tricky to overcome, I like your idea of 2 venues in a city, although falls down if you want to host it in Milan or Rome :wink:

Or if the host club do get to the end of year tournament, then you make them use away dressing room, can't have access to their normal facilities, etc.

I think it is something worth exploring though as it does give the tournament a bit more of an edge.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Aug 2020 10:31

Just have it at Wembley every year

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Aug 2020 10:35

At the moment it is such a truncated competition, lasting far too long and with too many meaningless games in the group stages.
I would be all for it being a cup competition right from the off-seeding would apply just as it does now-and not have teams finishing in 4th place for some countries which has contributed to the competition being too big.

I would have the Europa League as a consequence also reduced in numbers and no dropping down as fall -out from the Champions League for those being knocked out early.

The problem of course is money and TV coverage but from a neutral fan's perspective these changes a reduction in games would surely make games more attractive when they do come around.

While we are at it, here I would like to see the FA Cup winners get the 3rd allocated European League/Cup place giving a boost to the competition and meaning that the lesser Prem League clubs don't put out weakened teams as they would have a real chance of qualifying for the big one.
Sadly it has for some time been the clubs with better back-up players that tend to win the competition.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Aug 2020 11:23

South Coast Royal At the moment it is such a truncated competition, lasting far too long and with too many meaningless games in the group stages.
I would be all for it being a cup competition right from the off-seeding would apply just as it does now-and not have teams finishing in 4th place for some countries which has contributed to the competition being too big.

I would have the Europa League as a consequence also reduced in numbers and no dropping down as fall -out from the Champions League for those being knocked out early.

The problem of course is money and TV coverage but from a neutral fan's perspective these changes a reduction in games would surely make games more attractive when they do come around.

While we are at it, here I would like to see the FA Cup winners get the 3rd allocated European League/Cup place giving a boost to the competition and meaning that the lesser Prem League clubs don't put out weakened teams as they would have a real chance of qualifying for the big one.
Sadly it has for some time been the clubs with better back-up players that tend to win the competition.

Not sure I understand the first sentence (truncated is shortened but then lasting far too long) - I'm sure it's me
However, you've described pretty much the European Cup as it used to be .

I do like the idea of the FA Cup providing a proper route to the competition. Winning that is a far better reason for making it than finishing fourth. CHAMPIONS League should mean it. Not the "Also Rans Can Join In League"

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Aug 2020 11:27

Franchise FC
South Coast Royal At the moment it is such a truncated competition, lasting far too long and with too many meaningless games in the group stages.

Not sure I understand the first sentence (truncated is shortened but then lasting far too long) - I'm sure it's me

I do like the idea of the FA Cup providing a proper route to the competition. Winning that is a far better reason for making it than finishing fourth. CHAMPIONS League should mean it. Not the "Also Rans Can Join In League"

Yes, got my truncated wrong-should have been elongated.
I blame the weather-it's been hammering down for the past 2 hours and should have been truncated. :wink: .

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Aug 2020 11:37

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC

Yes, got my truncated wrong-should have been elongated.
I blame the weather-it's been hammering down for the past 2 hours and should have been truncated. :wink: .

It's not hammering it here, but it has been raining consistently since about 8:30.

Weather forecast said short. sharp showers. Er, no

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Aug 2020 07:28

Franchise FC

The FA Cup will never get a Champions League spot as to win it, you don't even need to win a game.

Also there is a "risk" of a Championship side getting favourable draws all the way through and then have a big club have a bad day in the final. Would throw up too many fixture issues amongst other things.

Best to reinstate a Cup Winners Cup and give the winners of that a CL spot.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Aug 2020 12:41

Stranded
Franchise FC

The FA Cup will never get a Champions League spot as to win it, you don't even need to win a game.

Also there is a "risk" of a Championship side getting favourable draws all the way through and then have a big club have a bad day in the final. Would throw up too many fixture issues amongst other things.

Don't completely disagree.
How often though has a Championship side won the Fa Cup in the last 40 years since West Ham in 1980.?
None.

So the likelihood is slim at best and I suspect would be even more so if, as I suggested, Premier League clubs put out their best eleven.
Even if it did happen that team would only enter the competition in the qualifying round as happens with winners from the lesser leagues.

The FA Cup is a greatly respected competition in the world of football (probably less so now here than elsewhere) and has only become less important here because of the financial importance of Champions League qualification.

Time to restore it to its former glory methinks and with big changes going on in the world and in football the time might be right.
Last edited by South Coast Royal on 20 Aug 2020 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2020 12:42

I love the FA Cup more than most but to suggest the winner should get a Champions League spot is ludicrous and plain dumb.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Aug 2020 14:29

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Franchise FC Not sure I understand the first sentence (truncated is shortened but then lasting far too long) - I'm sure it's me

Don't completely disagree.
How often though has a Championship side won the Fa Cup in the last 40 years since West Ham in 1980.?
None.

So the likelihood is slim at best and I suspect would be even more so if, as I suggested, Premier League clubs put out their best eleven.
Even if it did happen that team would only enter the competition in the qualifying round as happens with winners from the lesser leagues.

The FA Cup is a greatly respected competition in the world of football (probably less so now here than elsewhere) and has only become less important here because of the financial importance of Champions League qualification.

Time to restore it to its former glory methinks and with big changes going on in the world and in football the time might be right.

You would only get clubs taking an interest if it guaranteed a group stage place and that is wildly out of sync with how you win the cup. Newcastle aren't going to go all out for the cup if they are in a PL relegation battle for the right to face say Ajax or Olympiakos over 2 legs when defeat will likely see them end up back in the Europa anyway.

Even with the advent of the 4th place going to the cup - that means only 3 of the clubs vying for a spot will get a CL place, so realistically all that will happen is that come January, the side in 4th to 6th will likely take the cup seriously and push on in that for a safety net - so finals will most likely be Man Utd v Chelsea or something like that anyway.

319 posts