Football stats

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Football stats

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2020 13:20

Bit of a numbers dork and I like my stats - mostly player histories, transfer fees, unbeaten runs, that sort of thing. What sites, if any, do you guys use for this kind of thing? Can't really find a one stop shop for everything, although Transfermarkt comes close.

What triggered the question was Timo Werner. Late last year he became the youngest player to reach 200 Bundesliga appearances, at around 23 years and 9 months old. Marcus Rashford, if he stays mostly fit, will hit the same mark in the Premier League at a very similar age. Gianluigi Donnarumma will do the same in Serie A at 21.

Wondering if I can find anywhere youngest player to x appearances, and related stats?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Football stats

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 13:23

Sanguine Bit of a numbers dork and I like my stats - mostly player histories, transfer fees, unbeaten runs, that sort of thing. What sites, if any, do you guys use for this kind of thing? Can't really find a one stop shop for everything, although Transfermarkt comes close.

What triggered the question was Timo Werner. Late last year he became the youngest player to reach 200 Bundesliga appearances, at around 23 years and 9 months old. Marcus Rashford, if he stays mostly fit, will hit the same mark in the Premier League at a very similar age. Gianluigi Donnarumma will do the same in Serie A at 21.

Wondering if I can find anywhere youngest player to x appearances, and related stats?

This would be the one I'd use.

Also, I don't know when it will be ready but this could be worth a look - https://www.squawka.com/en/stats

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 13:24

Sanguine Bit of a numbers dork and I like my stats - mostly player histories, transfer fees, unbeaten runs, that sort of thing. What sites, if any, do you guys use for this kind of thing? Can't really find a one stop shop for everything, although Transfermarkt comes close.

Isn't the answer in all such questions as this Pele?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2020 13:31

Hendo

Also, I don't know when it will be ready but this could be worth a look - https://www.squawka.com/en/stats

We’re in the process of building a new Comparison Matrix tool to bring you more stats (powered by Opta) than ever before.

Nice, ta. Just wonder if it will be historic or not.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 13:33

Sanguine
Hendo

We’re in the process of building a new Comparison Matrix tool to bring you more stats (powered by Opta) than ever before.

Nice, ta. Just wonder if it will be historic or not.

Ah yeah, I guess it might not go that far back.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2020 13:34

Hoping that somewhere out there is something like cricinfo's 'statsguru'.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 13:35

Love StatsGuru!

Although I fear that there has always been more of an emphasis on stats in cricket, so there might not be the same for football.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jan 2020 13:42

Jimmy Greaves is often the answer to a lot of these "youngest player" questions. He would have been 21 or 22 when he hit 200 appearances in England and Italy. He was 20 when he scored his 100th league goal.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jan 2020 12:54

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 21 Jan 2020 14:03

Winston Biscuit

Utterly, utterly, utterly horrendous footballer. In every single aspect.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jan 2020 14:47

But he's called Kepa, which is like keeper, lolz.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Jan 2020 15:48

Winston Biscuit

I'm sure there other stats that would put him in a top percentile as well though. Stats can make anyone look good/shit taken out of context

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 16:26

Surely it also depends on where the shots are coming from.

Are his defence serving up chances that are leaving him with no chance or is he constantly letting in shots he should save?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jan 2020 16:28

Stranded Surely it also depends on where the shots are coming from.

Are his defence serving up chances that are leaving him with no chance or is he constantly letting in shots he should save?

Sure, but albeit over the course of the season, and for a team comfortably in the top half, you wouldn't expect that stat to be particularly skewed by anything.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 16:33

Sanguine

Sure, but albeit over the course of the season, and for a team comfortably in the top half, you wouldn't expect that stat to be particularly skewed by anything.

No but be interesting to see what the xG against is for Chelsea. May give a rough idea of if he is actually having a mare or not.

Can't stand the guy after his refusal to be subbed last season so not really fussed if he is just shit.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jan 2020 16:43

Stranded
Sanguine

No but be interesting to see what the xG against is for Chelsea. May give a rough idea of if he is actually having a mare or not.

Can't stand the guy after his refusal to be subbed last season so not really fussed if he is just shit.

He's the 'worst' keeper in the top half on that basis. Chelsea have conceded 30 goals vs. an xG of 25.6. Southampton and Burnley the only teams worse than that measure of -4.40.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Steve Bruce stealing a living/fast becoming a legend depending on how you read xG. Newcastle have scored three goals more, and conceded eight less, than xG, which has then on xPoints of 16 vs. the 28 they have achieved.

Poor old David McGoldrick - his time without a goal becoming a bit of a running joke at Bramall Lane, xG says he should have seven by now based on the chances he has had.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Feb 2020 21:27

Read today ‘ No Arsenal centre-forward has scored a headed goal in the league since December 2017’ :shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2020 08:42

WoodleyRoyal Read today ‘ No Arsenal centre-forward has scored a headed goal in the league since December 2017’ :shock:

While that is quite surprising, if you told me there was one premier league club, who hadn't scored a headed goal for over 2 years, Arsenal would be my first guess, it just isn't how they play.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Feb 2020 09:52

A silly one, but enjoyable all the same - Allison Becker has conducted more baptisms this year (2) than he has conceded goals (1). :D

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Feb 2020 16:13

Stranded
Sanguine

FWIW, I think that stat is one of the few I would not expect to 'average out' and to remain skewed.

Goalkeeper stats are still very much in their infancy.