2019/20 Season - How will it end?

226 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: 2019/20 Season - How will it end?

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jul 2020 08:52

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Stranded Regardless of how it ends EFL due to have a vote next week on start date for 20/21. 2 dates put forward 29. August and 12. September.

A more sensible approach imo would have been to start 2nd week in August but scrap the League Cup and EFL Trophy for next season.

Far too soon. Make up of the divisions will not even be finalised until 4th August after the Championship play-off final. Won't be a normal pre-season naturally but clubs need more than a week to prep. Agree on scrapping the cups for a season. EFL won't scrap league cup though as likely that once it's gone, it's gone.

For the Championship it is too soon, agree on that. I have no idea why the League 1 playoffs were so delayed, they could have done them by now and that way the Leagues 1 and 2 season could have started on time, they would have had over a month break.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jul 2020 10:00

Would make most sense to me not to scrap the League Cup, but to get rid of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it is called these days. Make the League Cup the 'football league (non-PL) cup', you keep it and its history, and you reduce fixtures for the bigger sides.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jul 2020 10:35

Sanguine Would make most sense to me not to scrap the League Cup, but to get rid of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it is called these days. Make the League Cup the 'football league (non-PL) cup', you keep it and its history, and you reduce fixtures for the bigger sides.

I’d agree with both aspects here but perhaps restrict the League Cup just to teams outside of European competitions and not all non PL teams

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jul 2020 10:41

URZZZZ
Sanguine Would make most sense to me not to scrap the League Cup, but to get rid of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or whatever it is called these days. Make the League Cup the 'football league (non-PL) cup', you keep it and its history, and you reduce fixtures for the bigger sides.

I’d agree with both aspects here but perhaps restrict the League Cup just to teams outside of European competitions and not all non PL teams

Well my idea was to replace the JPT (or whatever) with another lower leagues cup. Do Watford or Everton (say) really need two cup competitions to compete for? You also can't justify a European spot for a competition without some teams in it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jul 2020 11:01

Sanguine
URZZZZ

Well my idea was to replace the JPT (or whatever) with another lower leagues cup. Do Watford or Everton (say) really need two cup competitions to compete for? You also can't justify a European spot for a competition without some teams in it.

I think sadly it is time for the League Cup to go. When the League 2 sides stop taking it seriously as they do these days you know it is probably time to knock it on the head. Do away with the League Cup but give the League 1 and 2 sides their own trophy with an actual reward at the end of it so they take it seriously. Make the prize a guaranteed playoff spot for example.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jul 2020 12:42

Sanguine
URZZZZ

I thought the idea of a League Cup without the teams in Europe was being discussed as a possible solution

With the levels of squad depth in teams nowadays, I do think it’s important to maintain as many cup competitions as possible to give everyone a go (in particular the academy lads)

Will also give those sort of teams (the ones that finish mid table every season, Everton, Palace etc) a greater chance of winning a competition without the likes of City being there who win it every year (although they may not be in Europe next year)

Think the gap between a standard Prem team and one of the “Europe teams” is bigger than the gap between a standard Prem team and a championship team for example so should keep the competition more interesting

226 posts