Ups & Downs 2020/21

206 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ups & Downs 2020/21

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2021 11:25

Winston Biscuit League 1 play offs looking really interesting. Hull as good as up and Posh looking like 2nd place is theirs.

Sunderland in 3rd are on a terrible run of form but look far enough ahead of 7th to be sure of a play off place. Lincoln looked to have blown it somewhat after their early season great results, but have now picked up again just in time and also look very good for a play off spot. Blackpool were mid table until recently but went on a sensational run to get up to the play offs. Adkins also doing a good job at Charlton and has them up in 6th.

Oxford and Pompey look to be the 2 team who could get in there, but the latter are on a terrible run and have dropped out.

Oxford blowing a lead to end up losing last night to AFC Wimbledon, with James Henry (who lives in the next road to me!) getting sent off, didn't help.

Found it intriguing that up to last night, Ipswich were on such poor form yet still had a sniff of the last playoff spot

In their last 5 games, they’ve scored 0 goals, against some real lowly teams in that pack. Whilst Lambert wasn’t doing a great job there, Cook ain’t doing much better and I do like the shift of reasoning from
Ipswich fans, from “Lambert is the problem, the players are talented” to “the players are a disgrace”

Would like to see Charlton up, liked Adkins, although Blackpool can always be a decent away day and Lincoln is a new one. Disappointed that Hull are virtually back up though, a bit meh

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Apr 2021 11:58

URZZZZ
Winston Biscuit League 1 play offs looking really interesting. Hull as good as up and Posh looking like 2nd place is theirs.

Sunderland in 3rd are on a terrible run of form but look far enough ahead of 7th to be sure of a play off place. Lincoln looked to have blown it somewhat after their early season great results, but have now picked up again just in time and also look very good for a play off spot. Blackpool were mid table until recently but went on a sensational run to get up to the play offs. Adkins also doing a good job at Charlton and has them up in 6th.

Oxford and Pompey look to be the 2 team who could get in there, but the latter are on a terrible run and have dropped out.

Oxford blowing a lead to end up losing last night to AFC Wimbledon, with James Henry (who lives in the next road to me!) getting sent off, didn't help.

Found it intriguing that up to last night, Ipswich were on such poor form yet still had a sniff of the last playoff spot

In their last 5 games, they’ve scored 0 goals, against some real lowly teams in that pack. Whilst Lambert wasn’t doing a great job there, Cook ain’t doing much better and I do like the shift of reasoning from
Ipswich fans, from “Lambert is the problem, the players are talented” to “the players are a disgrace”

Would like to see Charlton up, liked Adkins, although Blackpool can always be a decent away day and Lincoln is a new one. Disappointed that Hull are virtually back up though, a bit meh

Charlton is a fantastic away day for the vast majority of Reading fans and they usually do very good ticket prices. Similarly I also have a positive opinion of Adkins, especially after the revelations that he basically had his hand ties with what he could do here due to financial constraints.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 12:25

Big game at Morecambe on Saturday (3rd vs 4th) against Bolton - didn't realise Morecambe were so high up - were fighting relegation IIRC last season!

You'd probably say with those two still to play each other and the respective goal differences, Cambridge and Cheltenham will be up - no playoff hangover for Cheltenham!

Exeter Newport a fairly big game too, 7th against 8th, a win for Newport there and would be hard for Exeter to hit the playoffs. Salford also with a decent chance too although their form is a bit hit and miss

At the bottom, Southend and Grimsby look doomed, bit sad how far Southend have declined in recent years, IIRC they weren't too far off the Championship a few years ago

No team other than Sheffield United have been officially relegated yet, although sure to see that number increasing this weekend with Southend, Wycombe, Rovers and Swindon all teetering very close to the edge

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2021 12:34

URZZZZ At the bottom, Southend and Grimsby look doomed

I thought only 1 was going down this year? (no idea why I think this so probs wrong)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Apr 2021 12:38

Winston Biscuit
URZZZZ At the bottom, Southend and Grimsby look doomed

I thought only 1 was going down this year? (no idea why I think this so probs wrong)

Think that was last year because Bury had effectively already taken one of the spots - back to normal this year (I think)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Apr 2021 21:07

Rochdale concede in the 97th minute to leave them 4 points from safety with 2 games left.

Bottom 4 in League 1 pretty much sorted now

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Apr 2021 22:05

grimsby down and cheltenham up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Apr 2021 23:19

Simmops grimsby down and cheltenham up

Real fall from grace for Paul Hurst who just under 3 years ago took the Championship job at Ipswich, to now being relegated to the Conference

Referee did no favours tonight with what looked an extremely harsh red card and then a clear foul on their goalie for Exeter’s equaliser. He even took a good few seconds to award Grimsby’s penalty too which looked a stonewaller

Ultimately though the damage was done a long time ago

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Apr 2021 23:23

Winston Biscuit Rochdale concede in the 97th minute to leave them 4 points from safety with 2 games left.

Bottom 4 in League 1 pretty much sorted now

Could be a strange scenario where promotion/relegation is sorted in every single division before the last game of the season - a bit of an anti climax given how close certain divisions looked at periods of time - sure Sky won’t be happy! Although keep your eyes peeled for Peterborough Lincoln on Saturday, Lincoln can take it to the last day if they win on Saturday and then win their game in hand

Seems to be a bit of a bunfight for the playoffs in L1 and L2 I guess

Looks like one from Charlton, Oxford and Pompey from L1 and two from Exeter, Forest Green, Salford and Newport in L2. Strangely enough, our current points tally would have been enough for a L1 and L2 playoff spot, Champ benchmark fairly high this year

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Apr 2021 06:50

URZZZZ
Simmops grimsby down and cheltenham up

Real fall from grace for Paul Hurst who just under 3 years ago took the Championship job at Ipswich, to now being relegated to the Conference

Referee did no favours tonight with what looked an extremely harsh red card and then a clear foul on their goalie for Exeter’s equaliser. He even took a good few seconds to award Grimsby’s penalty too which looked a stonewaller

Ultimately though the damage was done a long time ago

Agreed. You can say the referee did no favour thing if they were down by GD or 1 point.

Rochdale conceded a 97th minute goal at afc Wimbledon to almost certainly send them down

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Apr 2021 08:32

I'm delighted for Wigan. Have been through a lot of shit, had their squad ripped apart for pennies and have looked destined for League Two most of the season. Now looking like they're gonna stay up.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Apr 2021 08:45

Sutton United have only won 3 of their last 9 and have been reeled in at the top by Torquay, in the National League. Would be a shame if they didn't get there - mentioned before that with their famous win over Coventry in the cup, I'd thought of them as historically a yo-yo side, but they've never been in the Football League.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Apr 2021 09:45

Sanguine Sutton United have only won 3 of their last 9 and have been reeled in at the top by Torquay, in the National League. Would be a shame if they didn't get there - mentioned before that with their famous win over Coventry in the cup, I'd thought of them as historically a yo-yo side, but they've never been in the Football League.

Really interesting division this year. Personally hoping Torquay and Hartlepool come up but wouldn't begrudge Sutton at all, they have a really good youth program and have gone about things the right way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2021 10:59

NathStPaul
Sanguine Sutton United have only won 3 of their last 9 and have been reeled in at the top by Torquay, in the National League. Would be a shame if they didn't get there - mentioned before that with their famous win over Coventry in the cup, I'd thought of them as historically a yo-yo side, but they've never been in the Football League.

Really interesting division this year. Personally hoping Torquay and Hartlepool come up but wouldn't begrudge Sutton at all, they have a really good youth program and have gone about things the right way.

Maidenhead have a squeak of a chance of the playoffs but damaging defeat last night to Weymouth - they really need to take advantage of their games in hand to have a chance

Aldershot did have a chance but maybe a little too far off - need a late run to have a chance now

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Apr 2021 11:02

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

Maidenhead have a squeak of a chance of the playoffs but damaging defeat last night to Weymouth - they really need to take advantage of their games in hand to have a chance

Aldershot did have a chance but maybe a little too far off - need a late run to have a chance now

I think Maidenhead will be happy to just stay in the division, that alone is an achievement. They have done pretty well this season on a ridiculously small budget. I have recently moved to a place right next to their ground so I look forward to attending some games next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2021 13:26

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Really interesting division this year. Personally hoping Torquay and Hartlepool come up but wouldn't begrudge Sutton at all, they have a really good youth program and have gone about things the right way.

I think Maidenhead will be happy to just stay in the division, that alone is an achievement. They have done pretty well this season on a ridiculously small budget. I have recently moved to a place right next to their ground so I look forward to attending some games next season.

Whilst Maidenhead being in the National is a massive acheivement, and they have been more than decent this year, going down would have been something quite impressive. :wink: :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Apr 2021 13:30

Stranded
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

Whilst Maidenhead being in the National is a massive acheivement, and they have been more than decent this year, going down would have been something quite impressive. :wink: :wink:

Agreed. Until someone has the money and is willing to bankroll them as a full time operation then staying in the National League is going to be their realistic goal each season.

Of course miracles can happen but if they did find themselves promoted is York Road really up to league standard?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Apr 2021 13:37

Sutekh
Stranded
NathStPaul I think Maidenhead will be happy to just stay in the division, that alone is an achievement. They have done pretty well this season on a ridiculously small budget. I have recently moved to a place right next to their ground so I look forward to attending some games next season.

Agreed. Until someone has the money and is willing to bankroll them as a full time operation then staying in the National League is going to be their realistic goal each season.

Of course miracles can happen but if they did find themselves promoted is York Road really up to league standard?

Slightly different note but what happened to Dover? Noticed they were on 0 games played, must have missed/forgotten something

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2021 13:42

URZZZZ
Sutekh
Stranded

Slightly different note but what happened to Dover? Noticed they were on 0 games played, must have missed/forgotten something

They furloughed their squad as they couldn't afford to pay them without income. They had been told there would be grants being handed out but those grants became loans that they knew they couldn't repay on top of paying running costs.

In the end they were fined, results of games they did play expunged and deducted 12 points for next season. As there is no relegation from the National League, they will be in there next year but as they are also going part-time they are very likely to get relegated next season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Apr 2021 14:03

Stranded
NathStPaul
URZZZZ

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

206 posts