Ups & Downs 2020/21

206 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Ups & Downs 2020/21

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 09:03

Loving the battle at for the last relegation place in the Champ. Rotherham having 2 games in hand and a better GD than anyone else down there makes it pretty exciting

Cov have a very nice run of games coming up and a real chance to get some distance from the relegation zone

Would love to see Rotherham stay up at the expense of Birmingham. The dream would be QPR going down, but they appear just far enough out of it right now, and with Wycome & Hudds to play in the next couple of weeks too to see them ok

League 1 looked like it could be anyones from a number of clubs, but Posh have put a great run together and now look it is theirs to lose. Doncaster were looking very good with a number of games in hand until recently when they pissed them up the wall.

Games in hand look like they could play a big part in this. Not unthinkable that even Blackpool down in 13th could get into the play off having only played 28 games now

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ups & Downs 2020/21

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 09:06

Bottom of L1 looking very exciting as there is no team cut adrift yet. Burton were looking like being that team but with 4 wins in the last 5 they are out of the relegation zone and still have games in hand. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a spectacular final day with a number of teams still unsure which div they will play in

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Mar 2021 09:33

Big up Wigan who should be dead and buried by now given their situation, but they've picked up some decent results and have given themselves a chance. Can see Sunderland getting the second auto spot along with Posh. Donny have crumbled since you (we) backed them :D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Mar 2021 09:55

League One play-off race still wide open - Gillingham are in 14th but only eight points behind Doncaster in 6th. Equally there are seven teams, up to Burton in 18th, within four points of the bottom of the table.

League Two is close too. You could arguably go down to Harrogate in 11th, and 11 points off the top, for teams still in with a shout at automatic promotion if they put a run together. What an achievement by Bolton to save their season - they can't stop winning, six in a row. They were 19th a month ago, now 6th.

National League - something I'd not realised is that Sutton United, who are well placed for promotion, have never made it to the Football League. Grew up knowing them for their famous cup win over Coventry, and just assumed they had been a lower divisions/Conference yo-yo side, but in fact they've spent most of their history at even lower levels - just ten years in total at National League level. Barnet are struggling at the wrong end - but I guess with regional leagues suspended, they'll be saved the drop.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2021 11:15

Yep bottom of the NL is fairly pointless now as there will be no relegation. Dover aren't even playing now as they can't afford to and have put their squad on furlough. Be interesting to see if they get punished for that.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 11:27

Every week I wait for Cambridge to fall away. Their results are not all that impressive for a top of the table team, but having played more games than anyone else up there they remained top....until last weekend when they were finally caught. The chasing pack are right behind them too.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 11:30

Bolton. Burton, Barnsley, Bradford & Cardiff are the teams on a current turn-your-season-completely-around runs

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 11:34

Pompey really messing things up too. Have them in an acca to go up and they have only taken 4 points from the last possible 15 now

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2021 12:59

Can’t look past City for the title now. Relegation from the Prem looks closer than it did this time a couple of months ago and can see Newcastle struggling with Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Wilson until April. Fulham don’t lose many but need to pick up points from this difficult run in they have ahead of them. Can they do it? I reckon so. WBA and Sheffield United look doomed but one long, sustainable run can always pull them back into contention, however I feel it’s too late for them. Therefore can see the bottom 3 ending up as:
20. Sheffield United
19. West Brom
18. Newcastle

You’d have to say Norwich look certs for promotion after yesterday’s win, the big question is who can join them and then who can make up the top 6. Watford and Swansea both seem to grind out wins they don’t necessarily deserve whereas Brentford have hit a sticky patch. They don’t cope too well being the hunted team and seem to cope a lot better being the chasing team. Us and Bournemouth have consistently been in the top 6 all season without much threat but the impressive form of Barnsley and Cardiff has put a stop to that. I reckon Cardiff can nick a top 6 spot but not too sure about Barnsley who may eventually run out of steam. Can see it ending like:

1. Norwich
2. Watford
3. Swansea
4. Brentford
5. Reading
6. Cardiff

Relegation from the Champ looks a bit open with Rotherham having plenty of games in hand. You’d argue Wycombe and Wednesday are doomed, however there’s always the chance of a manager bounce there. Coventry are in free fall but have an easier run in towards the end of the season and so I think they’ll be safe. I reckon it’s Birmingham’s year to drop, who have had plenty of close shaves in recent years, although it’ll be close between them and Rotherham:

24. Wycombe
23. Wednesday
22. Birmingham

Don’t know too much about L1 and L2, but Peterborough seem to be on good form, can see them going up with Sunderland and perhaps Ipswich. Hull looked likely for a large portion of the season but have encountered erratic results recently, same with Lincoln

Don’t really know anything about L2, but given Bolton’s recent form, can see them nicking a spot. Would like to see Sam Smith propel Cheltenham up too. Newport started the season very well but have been on awful form these last few months, would like to see them up but looking more unlikely by each game

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 13:09

It would be immense if Fulham stayed up and Newcastle went down. I don't even like Fulham or dislike Newcastle.

Fulham have recently been through a set of fixtures against other crap teams though, hence why they look like they could survive, while Newcastle about to play some other crap teams

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Mar 2021 13:15

for petty reasons, I want BHA to go down. They so do not deserve to, but that would make it even sweeter.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2021 13:17

Winston Biscuit It would be immense if Fulham stayed up and Newcastle went down. I don't even like Fulham or dislike Newcastle.

Fulham have recently been through a set of fixtures against other crap teams though, hence why they look like they could survive, while Newcastle about to play some other crap teams

Lack of a goal scorer hurting Fulham - possibly a bit far fetched to rely on Maja to keep them up but they’re solid defensively and have also drawn with Liverpool (before their bad run!) and Spurs whilst winning 2-0 at Goodison so there’s still some hope. Quite a damning indictment that their second highest scorer is on 4 goals!

Personally would prefer us to match Newcastle whichever league we’re in. Like going to the Cottage but been there plenty of times now, would prefer somewhere a bit different!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 13:25

LUX for petty reasons, I want BHA to go down. They so do not deserve to, but that would make it even sweeter.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, that is absolutely the dream ticket. Just don't think that is likely to happen (even though they are on the same points as Newcastle)

2 weeks time - BHA Vs Newcastle :o

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Mar 2021 13:27

Winston Biscuit It would be immense if Fulham stayed up and Newcastle went down. I don't even like Fulham or dislike Newcastle.

Fulham's next three are Spurs, Liverpool and Man City.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2021 13:30

Zammo

Fulham's next three are Spurs, Liverpool and Man City.

^was kind of my point

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Mar 2021 15:39

:|

It would annoy Fulham fans if they went down.

It would probably annoy Newcastle fans if they stayed up under Bruce.

So that is what I want to happen.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2021 16:02

Our prejudices come to the fore when thinking about who you would like to do what.

Mine are often because of what bets I have had each season as well as longer term dislikes.
In the Premier League I want West Brom to get relegated as I feel that they made no attempt really to stay there and have just taken the money.
I don't dislike Brighton as many on here do and the same goes for Newcastle but they have become a basket-case club and for the sake of my Bournemouth friends it would be good for the two who jumped ship to go there, Callum Wilson and Fraser, to end up in The Championship.

On the other hand I do dislike Bournemouth as a club as much as leon dislikes Fulham and Lux dislikes Brighton so I hope (despite having had a Judas-type bet on them at the start of the season as I thought they might buy a few players) that Bournemouth don't get promoted and gradually fade away back to the 3rd division.

If we don't go up I would like to see Brentford do it as they always seem to play attacking football and over the years so often had to sell their better players with us being one of the many beneficiaries.

Lower down I had bets on Newport and Sunderland to get promoted but Newport have been on one of the worst runs in the whole of the Football League so I doubt that they will make it.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 04 Mar 2021 16:10

Would love it if Rotherham go down again unsteady of Wycombe

Barnsley are in form Aswell

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2021 16:32

leon

:|

It would annoy Fulham fans if they went down.

It would probably annoy Newcastle fans if they stayed up under Bruce.

So that is what I want to happen.

What are you on about, Fulham are a great club with great fans!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 06 Mar 2021 06:49

Winston Biscuit Pompey really messing things up too. Have them in an acca to go up and they have only taken 4 points from the last possible 15 now

It’s really weird, but I read that like Pompey messing things up is a bad thing.

206 posts