The ethics of following a 2nd club

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

The ethics of following a 2nd club

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2021 10:11

So, the other evening in a friend's garden, we were discussing things we're looking forward once the world opens up again. Top of the list for me was live football in 21/22, where hopefully things have got so good places can sell out again.

Reading away games will take precedent, with trips to Sheffield, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Boro and probably Hull and Sunderland relatively close.

But I'm also considering a local team, but clearly not L**ds. The question is what level is suitably low that it doesn't constitute a betrayal. My local non league team is Guiseley and clearly there is no overlap with Reading there. The question is whether I could watch Bradford if I wanted a slightly higher level.

It's a local area that has been hit very hard by the pandemic, so going and spending a bit of money in their pubs and excellent curry houses seems like a good thing to do. And, in L2, I wouldn’t feel like I'm betraying my original team, though the possibility of them meeting in cups or even after a couple of promotions or relegations is by no means impossible.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The ethics of following a 2nd club

by Sutekh » 10 Apr 2021 10:20

Spread yourself about rather than just picking one team then rocking up at Bradford one week, Harrogate the next and everyone from Ossett to York (new ground there) in between might make things less of an “issue”.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Apr 2021 10:44

Sutekh Spread yourself about rather than just picking one team then rocking up at Bradford one week, Harrogate the next and everyone from Ossett to York (new ground there) in between might make things less of an “issue”.

This. Don’t have a second team, just ground hop watching football.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Apr 2021 11:11

Awaiting John Smith’s presence to the thread :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Apr 2021 12:31

There are certain teams that I look for their results and want them to do well but never at the expense of Reading, for example:

Lincoln - went to uni there
Plymouth - want them to be in the same league as Reading as it a a cracking away day

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Apr 2021 16:08

I do, as people probably already figured out on here, follow Spurs. So I guess I have "two clubs", but I don't particularly care if it's a betrayal or whatever.

If they play each other, I'll support Reading.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Apr 2021 17:33

Hendo There are certain teams that I look for their results and want them to do well but never at the expense of Reading, for example:

Lincoln - went to uni there
Plymouth - want them to be in the same league as Reading as it a a cracking away day

My wife has a lot of family in Plymouth so I go there fairly often. It's a lovely place and would love to see them in the Championship. Plenty of harbourside pubs too

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 10 Apr 2021 21:19

Maybe support a prem team to avoid any conflict of playing in the same league

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1