European Super League

365 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: European Super League

by Mr Angry » 19 Apr 2021 10:57

And Gary Neville on Sky Sports last night was genuinely magnificent; the visceral anger and disappointment in the club he loves being part of this was genuinely moving.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Apr 2021 10:59

tidus_mi2
Mr Angry As the 6 Premier League Clubs involved are breaking rule 1.9 (about joining unsanctioned competitions) the punishment is obvious; expulsion from this season's competition and continued expulsion thereafter.

On top of that, neither the FA nor the Football League will sanction this, so the logical conclussion is that these clubs will now ONLY play in their "Super" League.

No FA Cup entry.

No players from those teams allowed to compete in UEFA or FIFA sanctioned competitions.

Going forward, what happens thereafter will be interesting; as the 6 teams will be expelled, would that mean that next season the top 6 teams from the Championship come in to replace them with no relegation from the Premier League this season, or - for the integrity of the competition - will the top 6 replace thaose expelled, relegtion from the Premier League happens as usual, and then teams in 7th and 8th get automatic promotion, with teams 9th-12th into the play offs?

What a mess!

If this were to happen and the 6 teams expelled, I think the cleanest way to do this would be to reprieve the bottom 3 of relegation and do promotion from the Championship as standard.

To be honest, I agree, but I guess it depends on what the Premier League rules say about it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Apr 2021 11:01

NathStPaul Its ok guys, STAR have come out in opposition. Pretty sure the 12 breakaway clubs will backdown now.

I would've had more respect for STAR if they'd come out and supported it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Apr 2021 11:02

This is all becoming a bit real now isn't it?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Apr 2021 11:14

It’s okay STAR have condemned it they will all back down now. https://twitter.com/starreading/status/ ... 81993?s=21

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 11:16

Basingstoke Gazette just ran the same story - if you can call it that lol.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Apr 2021 11:33

Mr Angry
tidus_mi2
Mr Angry As the 6 Premier League Clubs involved are breaking rule 1.9 (about joining unsanctioned competitions) the punishment is obvious; expulsion from this season's competition and continued expulsion thereafter.

On top of that, neither the FA nor the Football League will sanction this, so the logical conclussion is that these clubs will now ONLY play in their "Super" League.

No FA Cup entry.

No players from those teams allowed to compete in UEFA or FIFA sanctioned competitions.

Going forward, what happens thereafter will be interesting; as the 6 teams will be expelled, would that mean that next season the top 6 teams from the Championship come in to replace them with no relegation from the Premier League this season, or - for the integrity of the competition - will the top 6 replace thaose expelled, relegtion from the Premier League happens as usual, and then teams in 7th and 8th get automatic promotion, with teams 9th-12th into the play offs?

What a mess!

If this were to happen and the 6 teams expelled, I think the cleanest way to do this would be to reprieve the bottom 3 of relegation and do promotion from the Championship as standard.

To be honest, I agree, but I guess it depends on what the Premier League rules say about it.

And just like in 95, we'll miss out by a place...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 11:50

BBC Sports man saying they understand it was Real Madrid and Man Utd that have been the main clubs in pushing this idea

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Apr 2021 11:51

Winston Biscuit BBC Sports man saying they understand it was Real Madrid and Man Utd that have been the main clubs in pushing this idea

Isn't the Real Madrid owner the chariman of the European Super League?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2021 11:53

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit BBC Sports man saying they understand it was Real Madrid and Man Utd that have been the main clubs in pushing this idea

Why did I think they were owned by the Spanish royal family?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 12:02

NathStPaul

Florentino Perez. He is the chairman of RM rather than owner

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 19 Apr 2021 12:09

tidus_mi2

No FA Cup entry.

What a mess!

Wouldn't the Premier League, EFL, lose the moral ground with such a proposal, ie that everyone has a chance to go up or down?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 12:19

Norfolk Royal
tidus_mi2

No FA Cup entry.

What a mess!

Wouldn't the Premier League, EFL, lose the moral ground with such a proposal, ie that everyone has a chance to go up or down?

Yeah, I think there would still need to be some form of relegation especially as Sheffield United are already officially down.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 12:22

Porto confirm they have no interest in joining

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Apr 2021 12:25

NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul

Same reason you thought Reading were owned by the British royal family.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Apr 2021 12:26

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul Isn't the Real Madrid owner the chariman of the European Super League?

Same reason you thought Reading were owned by the British royal family.

Knowing our luck we'd get Prince Andrew running our youth development program.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2021 12:31

Winston Biscuit Porto confirm they have no interest in joining

You've got to wonder at the motivation of a lot of the clubs involved, let alone the 5 invited each season.

Hey, Spurs, fancy going back to finishing 14th every season and being the club no one wants to watch? I know you aren't capable of winning a trophy, but now you won't get within even a sniff of one for the rest of time!

Hey everyone else, we'll let 5 of you come and be the whipping boys for a year, whilst we have great fun. Just so we don't harm our brand and have any of us finish in the bottom 5.

Can you imagine a scenario where Arsenal / Spurs have a bad season, and focus on the ShitPcunt League, only to get relegated from the PL?

Yeah Super League! One of our star sides is actually 10th in the English second tier.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 12:37

really hope 1 big name player at one of these clubs speaks out against it

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 Apr 2021 12:38

Winston Biscuit really hope 1 big name player at one of these clubs speaks out against it

Yeah this is what is needed, the players need to come together and speak out against it. Sadly I just don't see it happening when you think about the increased salaries they will get by playing in the European Super League.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 12:41

boggles my mind that you can have players currently on £150k a week rubbing their hands together thinking about possibly earning more money

365 posts