Hob Nob Legend

Re: European Super League

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 22:05

:lol:

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Apr 2021 23:26

Perez is currently appearing on Spanish TV. Reddit has someone updating as it goes on.

"The major clubs of England, Spain and Italy have to give a solution to the bad situation that football is experiencing"

"More competitive games will make everyone earn more money."

"We came to the conclusion that by doing the Super League instead of the CL we could help the lost income."

"The Super League will save clubs financially."

"Here at Real Madrid we lost a lot of money and we're in a very bad situation. Top clubs in Spain and England are coming to conclusions about fixing football. Madrid alone lost €400m and nothing was being done about that."

"UEFA threats? Football needs to evolve, audiences are going down."

"Football was losing interest from fans, we need a change."

"16-24 year old fans of that age don't have interest in football. Football needs to adapt to the new generations, now."

"All I do is for the good of football."

"The Super League will generate more money. It’s more attractive. Manchester-Barca will be more attractive than Manchester vs a smaller team."

"Teams can come in to the Super League, we never thought of that it's not a closed league, and we always thought about sporting merit. Sevilla can perfectly join the Super League the same way they can go to the CL in their league position."

"We have 15 teams + another 5 teams. Those 5 teams will earn their place every season."

"If you win, you receive €120-130m from UEFA but with Super League we will earn much more."

"The new Champions League format will not save football. I don't understand it, it won't help anything."

"I came in 2000 to save Real Madrid from financial ruin and I did. I saved the club."

"UEFA is a monopoly, what we're trying to do is save football. They must be transparent, and UEFA never has had a good history."

"I don't know why UEFA has been threatening since our press release says we would work out with them and FIFA."

"The players can stay totally calm about their national teams. The ban can't happen."

"How can La Liga lose prestige? It won't lose value with the Super League. Those two competitions can coexist."

"Champions League is attractive only from the quarterfinals. Nobody cares about the games before."

"We haven't invited PSG, and didn't talk to any German club yet."

"If PSG and Bayern Munich refuse, the Super League competition will not be canceled. This is an erroneous claim."

"The 15 founding clubs are the ones that matter the most in terms of entertainment. Others likes of Napoli and Roma will have a chance to be in the competition one year or another, then we'll see."

"Ceferin insulted Agnelli and that is totally unacceptable. We don’t want a president who insults another president."

"Everyone says that the Super League is the rich club's league, when that's not true, it's the league to save football."

"Boris Johnson said he will do everything to cancel the Super League? Someone must have told to him that the Premier League would disappear: it's false, it's not true. Everything will go back to normal."

"If we continue with the CL, interest will decrease further and even more with the new format."

"We don't want the rich teams to be richer and poor teams to be poorer. Football is a unity. Right now it's at a freefall."

"VAR? You mean Tebas' VAR or normal VAR? (laughs) There will be VAR, and a financial fair-play in this league."

"VAR, referees. Everything will change, for the good"

"I didn't have to convince Laporta to join, this Super League will help Barcelona and football. They are in a bad moment. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in 20 years, economically."

"We have been working on this project for a long time."

"All the clubs signed for the Super League on Saturday, not yesterday."

They're showing a L'Equipe poll made to 5 nations if they support a super league. 72% of italians support it, 71% of french support it, 76% of spaniards support it, 59% of english support it, and 57% of germans support it.

"I would totally give up my spot as chairman to Laporta if I had to"

"We'll only select the best referees, under a professional criteria."

"Clubs are losing too much money. Big clubs and small clubs. TV rights have changed. We only earn 20% from TV rights."

He's complaining about the youth on their playstations and how they're not interested in watching a full match.

"I'm a believer in transparency, I'm fully aware on how much LeBron James makes, but I don't know how much the UEFA president makes. Why?"

"Why aren't UEFA and La Liga salaries public? Why haven't salaries been reduced like everyone else during the pandemic?"

"There will be a salary cap at 55%."

"We haven't talked to Tebas recently."

"To make it simple, we want to make it the same as how basketball is. (an independent European league, like the EuroLeague)"

"If they want to wait for 2024 to make the reform, they can wait. We're not waiting for anyone."

"Football is in danger, and I'm working with other teams to save football."

"This isn't a battle for money, this is a battle for football. We're trying to save football, and some people don't care because it's not in their financial interest."

"If UEFA don’t want to come to an agreement, we won’t back down. Because we need the Super League.”

"There are some matches I can't stand to watch."

"The big clubs will share the money, like a pyramid."

They're going over the front covers of the spanish sports tabloids.

"[To Josep Pedrerol, who asked if the money from the Super League would facilitate an Mbappe move] I hoped that you didn't bring that topic up"

"Real Madrid needs a change".

"Cristiano won't return because he has a contract with Juve."

"[asked about Sergio Ramos] I love Sergio Ramos, but we are in a very bad financial situation at Real Madrid. Nobody puts money into this club. Will he leave the club? I didn't say that... many things can happen. We will think about it at the end of the season". I'm out. I only came here to talk about the Super League."

Now just talking about transfer rumours.

"Will our first Super League championship be considered the 14th CL? No, it will be considered the 15th, because maybe the 14th is coming this year"

"When Madrid and Barcelona play, the world stops. It's a luxury that we have here. That doesn't happen during a Manchester derby."

"Can I leave now? laughs"

"Haaland's father has visited our Bernabéu museum of Real Madrid. Everyone has always had the same reaction: never seen anything like this. Haaland and Mbappé are two excellent players but what Messi and Cristiano have done is incredible

That's the end of the interview.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 20 Apr 2021 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

JR

by JR » 20 Apr 2021 00:51

I’ve been debating with mates all evening and have been the lone voice in seeing the potential in the ESL.

It will be a much more attractive option to viewers and broadcasters than the waining UCL.

Traditional football rights have peaked and with new types of forms of broadcast and players in the content market, it’s critical to get the product right.

This new “Swiss style” UCL approved today sounds horrendous and clearly not the solution for maximising broadcast revenues for the game.

The Dirty Dozen clearly don’t trust UEFA to organise an effective competition and maximise the media rights.

They’ve taken the nuclear route to negotiation which is a risky tactic. Time will tell if they achieve it by but they will have concessions planned.

I suspect governing bodies to cut the rhetoric and get in line when they get in to negotiations and some form of promotion / relegation and 2nd tier ESL brought in to get to a compromise.

VAR is ruining the game. The ESL will not.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2021 06:43

JR I’ve been debating with mates all evening and have been the lone voice in seeing the potential in the ESL.

It will be a much more attractive option to viewers and broadcasters than the waining UCL.

Traditional football rights have peaked and with new types of forms of broadcast and players in the content market, it’s critical to get the product right.

This new “Swiss style” UCL approved today sounds horrendous and clearly not the solution for maximising broadcast revenues for the game.

The Dirty Dozen clearly don’t trust UEFA to organise an effective competition and maximise the media rights.

They’ve taken the nuclear route to negotiation which is a risky tactic. Time will tell if they achieve it by but they will have concessions planned.

I suspect governing bodies to cut the rhetoric and get in line when they get in to negotiations and some form of promotion / relegation and 2nd tier ESL brought in to get to a compromise.

It is possible there will be positives and they may become more clear in the wash but the overriding factor here is trying to make more money because the clubs are in shitloads of debt.

In some ways fine but as the clubs make more money, they just spend more. Real don't nedd to be 400m in debt but they keep spending silly money on fees that they don't have. Barca are in trouble but no-one forced them to give Messi €500m per year.

The best way to "save" these clubs is by financial prudence but that could turn them from challengers to also rans in their domestic competitions. They are scared of that so they think this gives them the best of both worlds. Could easily see Man City having an ESL squad and a PL squad (if not kicked out) with the latter still being streets ahead of the rest.

Sure, cap wages at 55% but if transfer fees are still silly then it makes no difference.

Re changes to VAR or other rules, then just use the International Champions Cup or whatever it's called. Same clubs and a chance to just do what you want rules wise without having two "versions" of football.

Which version will be league and which union? ;-)

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Apr 2021 08:10

JR I’ve been debating with mates all evening and have been the lone voice in seeing the potential in the ESL.

Get a grip. VAR isn't ruining the game.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Apr 2021 08:13

Watching Susannah Reid grilling Gavin Williamson on GMB about the ESL right now is a new low for the game we love.

How has it comes to this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2021 08:18

Zammo Watching Susannah Reid grilling Gavin Williamson on GMB about the ESL right now is a new low for the game we love.

Wtf has the Education Minister got to do with it. He can't manage his portfolio, let alone anything else.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 20 Apr 2021 08:42

Teams are now just legacy names linked to cities buying the best players from around the world, no connection to “supporters” who are now just fans and customers.

FUKK EM

Hopefully the review if ever implemented in time, will reconnect clubs with towns.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Apr 2021 08:45

Orion1871 Perez is currently appearing on Spanish TV. Reddit has someone updating as it goes on.

"The major clubs of England, Spain and Italy have to give a solution to the bad situation that football is experiencing"

"We came to the conclusion that by doing the Super League instead of the CL we could help the lost income."

"The Super League will save clubs financially."

"Here at Real Madrid we lost a lot of money and we're in a very bad situation. Top clubs in Spain and England are coming to conclusions about fixing football. Madrid alone lost €400m and nothing was being done about that."

"UEFA threats? Football needs to evolve, audiences are going down."

"Football was losing interest from fans, we need a change."

"16-24 year old fans of that age don't have interest in football. Football needs to adapt to the new generations, now."

"All I do is for the good of football."

"The Super League will generate more money. It’s more attractive. Manchester-Barca will be more attractive than Manchester vs a smaller team."

"Teams can come in to the Super League, we never thought of that it's not a closed league, and we always thought about sporting merit. Sevilla can perfectly join the Super League the same way they can go to the CL in their league position."

"We have 15 teams + another 5 teams. Those 5 teams will earn their place every season."

"If you win, you receive €120-130m from UEFA but with Super League we will earn much more."

"The new Champions League format will not save football. I don't understand it, it won't help anything."

"I came in 2000 to save Real Madrid from financial ruin and I did. I saved the club."

"UEFA is a monopoly, what we're trying to do is save football. They must be transparent, and UEFA never has had a good history."

"I don't know why UEFA has been threatening since our press release says we would work out with them and FIFA."

"The players can stay totally calm about their national teams. The ban can't happen."

"How can La Liga lose prestige? It won't lose value with the Super League. Those two competitions can coexist."

"Champions League is attractive only from the quarterfinals. Nobody cares about the games before."

"We haven't invited PSG, and didn't talk to any German club yet."

"If PSG and Bayern Munich refuse, the Super League competition will not be canceled. This is an erroneous claim."

"The 15 founding clubs are the ones that matter the most in terms of entertainment. Others likes of Napoli and Roma will have a chance to be in the competition one year or another, then we'll see."

"Ceferin insulted Agnelli and that is totally unacceptable. We don’t want a president who insults another president."

"Everyone says that the Super League is the rich club's league, when that's not true, it's the league to save football."

"Boris Johnson said he will do everything to cancel the Super League? Someone must have told to him that the Premier League would disappear: it's false, it's not true. Everything will go back to normal."

"If we continue with the CL, interest will decrease further and even more with the new format."

"We don't want the rich teams to be richer and poor teams to be poorer. Football is a unity. Right now it's at a freefall."

"VAR? You mean Tebas' VAR or normal VAR? (laughs) There will be VAR, and a financial fair-play in this league."

"VAR, referees. Everything will change, for the good"

"I didn't have to convince Laporta to join, this Super League will help Barcelona and football. They are in a bad moment. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in 20 years, economically."

"We have been working on this project for a long time."

"All the clubs signed for the Super League on Saturday, not yesterday."

They're showing a L'Equipe poll made to 5 nations if they support a super league. 72% of italians support it, 71% of french support it, 76% of spaniards support it, 59% of english support it, and 57% of germans support it.

"I would totally give up my spot as chairman to Laporta if I had to"

"We'll only select the best referees, under a professional criteria."

"Clubs are losing too much money. Big clubs and small clubs. TV rights have changed. We only earn 20% from TV rights."

He's complaining about the youth on their playstations and how they're not interested in watching a full match.

"I'm a believer in transparency, I'm fully aware on how much LeBron James makes, but I don't know how much the UEFA president makes. Why?"

"Why aren't UEFA and La Liga salaries public? Why haven't salaries been reduced like everyone else during the pandemic?"

"There will be a salary cap at 55%."

"We haven't talked to Tebas recently."

"To make it simple, we want to make it the same as how basketball is. (an independent European league, like the EuroLeague)"

"If they want to wait for 2024 to make the reform, they can wait. We're not waiting for anyone."

"Football is in danger, and I'm working with other teams to save football."

"This isn't a battle for money, this is a battle for football. We're trying to save football, and some people don't care because it's not in their financial interest."

"If UEFA don’t want to come to an agreement, we won’t back down. Because we need the Super League.”

"There are some matches I can't stand to watch."

"The big clubs will share the money, like a pyramid."

They're going over the front covers of the spanish sports tabloids.

"[To Josep Pedrerol, who asked if the money from the Super League would facilitate an Mbappe move] I hoped that you didn't bring that topic up"

"Real Madrid needs a change".

"Cristiano won't return because he has a contract with Juve."

"[asked about Sergio Ramos] I love Sergio Ramos, but we are in a very bad financial situation at Real Madrid. Nobody puts money into this club. Will he leave the club? I didn't say that... many things can happen. We will think about it at the end of the season". I'm out. I only came here to talk about the Super League."

Now just talking about transfer rumours.

"Will our first Super League championship be considered the 14th CL? No, it will be considered the 15th, because maybe the 14th is coming this year"

"When Madrid and Barcelona play, the world stops. It's a luxury that we have here. That doesn't happen during a Manchester derby."

"Can I leave now? laughs"

"Haaland's father has visited our Bernabéu museum of Real Madrid. Everyone has always had the same reaction: never seen anything like this. Haaland and Mbappé are two excellent players but what Messi and Cristiano have done is incredible

That's the end of the interview.

oxf*rd me. So many :| :| :| :| :| :|

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WTF?

Everyone in the super league you mean

And all that bollocks about finances and unity

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Apr 2021 08:46

Zammo Watching Susannah Reid grilling Gavin Williamson on GMB about the ESL right now is a new low for the game we love.

Oh, oh, oh, oh
Original Pirate Material
You're listening to The Streets, lock down your aerial

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Apr 2021 09:41

Snowflake Royal

Wtf has the Education Minister got to do with it. He can't manage his portfolio, let alone anything else.

They just wheel out any available MP for a morning breaking news story. I doubt he even likes football.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Apr 2021 09:55

I'm interested in the posturing of politicians on this in that I don't actually see what say, the UK Government, can actually usefully do about it.

The clubs involved are privately owned and regulated by the various associations they subscribe to, be it UEFA, the FA, FIFA.

Their contract, such as it may be, is surely with those bodies rather than the elected Govt of the day.

As far as I know the Govt or authorities have no real power over the clubs beyond maybe handing out safety certificates for the stadiums and limited involvement in tax affairs and regulation.

In other words it would need some immediate change in the law for the Govt to have any meaningful say about it. State involvement in football would lead to accusations of the virtual nationalisation of the game, surely anathema to its spirit and future, but possibly necessary to prevent the ESL happening.

In any case, even if the UK Govt did go nuclear and prevent the six from this country joining, there is no certainty that the authorities in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, would do the same thing. However without England's big six the ESL may be rendered pointless in any case.

My guess is that the opposition to this will eventually be in the courts with various claims of restraint of trade, breach of contract, etc, etc. An ugly situation with lawyers set for a big payday as usual.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Apr 2021 10:04

Norfolk Royal I'm interested in the posturing of politicians on this in that I don't actually see what say, the UK Government, can actually usefully do about it.

The clubs involved are privately owned and regulated by the various associations they subscribe to, be it UEFA, the FA, FIFA.

Their contract, such as it may be, is surely with those bodies rather than the elected Govt of the day.

As far as I know the Govt or authorities have no real power over the clubs beyond maybe handing out safety certificates for the stadiums and limited involvement in tax affairs and regulation.

In other words it would need some immediate change in the law for the Govt to have any meaningful say about it. State involvement in football would lead to accusations of the virtual nationalisation of the game, surely anathema to its spirit and future, but possibly necessary to prevent the ESL happening.

In any case, even if the UK Govt did go nuclear and prevent the six from this country joining, there is no certainty that the authorities in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, would do the same thing. However without England's big six the ESL may be rendered pointless in any case.

My guess is that the opposition to this will eventually be in the courts with various claims of restraint of trade, breach of contract, etc, etc. An ugly situation with lawyers set for a big payday as usual.

If a group of companies set up a cartel and it is impossible for other companies to compete against that cartel it would be illegal.

But obviously defining what is competition in the world of sports is difficult. Either way, the Government has the power to change any law it wants. So if it changes competition law to say any competitive sports league would be deemed a cartel if some of its members cannot be relegated, it could do that.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Apr 2021 10:07

Spurs & Arsenal owe the BOE hundreds of millions. Maybe the Govt can use that somehow as leverage. sounds a bit underhand though

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Apr 2021 10:11

infantino:
"It is my task and our task to protect the European sports model, club competitions, national teams. If they choose to go their own way, they must live with their choice. They are either in or out. They cannot be half in and half out"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Apr 2021 10:14

Greatwesternline
Norfolk Royal I'm interested in the posturing of politicians on this in that I don't actually see what say, the UK Government, can actually usefully do about it.

If a group of companies set up a cartel and it is impossible for other companies to compete against that cartel it would be illegal.

But obviously defining what is competition in the world of sports is difficult. Either way, the Government has the power to change any law it wants. So if it changes competition law to say any competitive sports league would be deemed a cartel if some of its members cannot be relegated, it could do that.

Well yes, the Govt in theory could change or create any law it wanted to, whether it is advisable or the right thing to do is a different matter. It may also be subject to challenge.

In the example you quote there must be all sorts of sports in various parts of the country where there is say one division, thinking hockey, women's football, cricket, badminton, you name it. Would they not fall foul of the law under your suggestion?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Apr 2021 10:41

Looking forward to the Super League 2 being set up with your Europa League type clubs in it!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 20 Apr 2021 10:42

Winston Biscuit infantino:
"It is my task and our task to protect the European sports model, club competitions, national teams. If they choose to go their own way, they must live with their choice. They are either in or out. They cannot be half in and half out"

Also Infantino

"Qatar has made a great implementation in human rights. The 2022 World Cup will be the best in history."

He actually started off his speech with that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Apr 2021 10:52

There are group of people that can stop this in it`s tracks, the players, nobody can tell me they are backing this, are the owners going to sack them all if they come out against it in some way?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 20 Apr 2021 11:04

windermereROYAL There are group of people that can stop this in it`s tracks, the players, nobody can tell me they are backing this, are the owners going to sack them all if they come out against it in some way?

Players at the top 6 clubs know they'll be facing a pay cut if they decide they to leave because of this. I know they earn vast amounts of money but its a short career and you're only one bad injury from having to quit. The players are in a really shitty situation.

365 posts