Hob Nob Regular

Re: European Super League

by Orion1871 » 18 Apr 2021 22:38

WestYorksRoyal
Ascotexgunner
Orion1871
Whilst holding a Sky Sports Microphone.

The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

This is an enormous false equivalence. Neville spoke absolute sense and was entitled to.

Working for a broadcaster who's money has helped transform the Premier League (for both better and worse) is not remotely comparable to what is being proposed. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Sky and BT distancing themselves from broadcasting such a competition.

Doubt they would be offered it. Would all be on in house channels like MUTV.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Apr 2021 23:41

It will never ever happen without FIFA backing as players will lose affiliation to domestic FAs and therefore will not be able to compete in internationals.

Of course if these clubs then decide to form their own international body and invite leading clubs from other parts of the world to form super leagues then there could be a rival World Cup (the thought of two England teams failing in two different tournaments and there being two England managers being chastised in the sports pages in each :lol: 8) ).

However isn’t the idea behind this “breakaway” for those clubs to also carry on playing in the domestic leagues with this thing being held on midweek dates and “youth” sides being entered into the League Cup and, maybe, FA Cup competitions? If that’s the case then I can’t see any real difference between that and what we’ve got now anyway.

By the way I note that the Champions League is about to approve a change in its format to make it an even more boring “safe fest” by having a group stage of 10 rounds and then a play off stage for all those clubs who couldn’t get through the group stage and then the usual knockout phase. Plus to add a coefficient enabling the 2 best clubs in UEFA who couldn’t manage to qualify for the tournament to get places in the competition.

The old European Cup was just so superior in every way, such a shame that’ll never come back, imagine a proper knockout tournament for only the actual champions of Europe’s various domestic leagues where you had to win over two games in every round.

Overall though, in actual fact aren’t UEFA and FIFA just hypocritical in their condemnation of the idea given their ever expanding empire of competitions and how to help big clubs/nations maximise income and qualify for things? E.g. the aforementioned “champions” league, nations league, world cups with an ever increasing number of finalists etc.
Last edited by Sutekh on 19 Apr 2021 00:02, edited 9 times in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Apr 2021 23:49

Florentino Perez is chairman of the Super League. Of course that scab would be behind much of this

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Apr 2021 00:12

For the record, one of this big 6 is Tottenham Hotspur, the team that hasn`t won a major trophy in 13 years, and the last time they won the league the then PM Harold McMillan was addressing the nation on black and white tv.
You couldn`t make this shit up.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 19 Apr 2021 01:47

windermereROYAL For the record, one of this big 6 is Tottenham Hotspur, the team that hasn`t won a major trophy in 13 years, and the last time they won the league the then PM Harold McMillan was addressing the nation on black and white tv.
You couldn`t make this shit up.

With 3 of the 6 pl teams currently sitting outside the champs league places. Also in terms of CL form:
Arsenal - No CL
Atleti - No CL
Man City - No CL
Spurs - No CL
Barca - No CL win or final since 2015
Chelsea - No CL win or final since 2012
Inter - No CL since 2010
Milan - No CL since 2007
Man Utd - No CL since 2008
Juventus - No CL since '96

Shows it is all about stopping knockout matches..

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 06:30

So it's been announced then.

This initial 12 but they clearly hope to get to 20 clubs.

Plan is 2 divisions of 10. States playing home and away, so can only assume an 18 game league.

Top 3 in each division go to the QFs by right. 4th and 5th play off for the last spot per division.

QFs and SFs 2 legs then a final.

It's essentially a variant on UEFAs plans.

Games in midweek. So 18 midweek games minimum if they get 20 clubs.

Can't see how that sits alongside a 34 to 38 game domestic season even without cups. A finalist would need to play 23 to 25 games to win the ESL, so min 61 game season not including any cups for an English sides.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Apr 2021 07:00

What's the oxf*rd point

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Apr 2021 07:27

Winston Biscuit Florentino Perez is chairman of the Super League. Of course that scab would be behind much of this

Why wouldn't he? As much as I hate it I get why the Spanish and Italian clubs are doing it, their prize money isn't on the same level as the PL. Even winning the Champions League isn't as lucrative for them as the Championship Play Off Final is for the winners of that.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 19 Apr 2021 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Apr 2021 07:30

Expel the oxf*rd from FIFA, UEFA and their domestic leagues.

This is a game of chicken. Who will blink first. Are the big clubs really more important than the whole football system, or will the system stand up and be counted.

My money is on them screwing more control of the CL and dropping the plans having 'listened' to fans. And it reappearing in 5 - 10 years.

I'd really like to just see them try it, and it wither and die along with the clubs with a warning to everyone else. Sadly I think the pcunts will win.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2021 08:10

Crazy that I wake up to find out Reading has jumped up 6 places in domestic ranking.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 08:14

Snowflake Royal Expel the oxf*rd from FIFA, UEFA and their domestic leagues.

This is a game of chicken. Who will blink first. Are the big clubs really more important than the whole football system, or will the system stand up and be counted.

My money is on them screwing more control of the CL and dropping the plans having 'listened' to fans. And it reappearing in 5 - 10 years.

I'd really like to just see them try it, and it wither and die along with the clubs with a warning to everyone else. Sadly I think the pcunts will win.

Unfortunately a lot of these arguments would have been made when the PL broke away.

I struggle to see the interest fans will have in Spurs V Inter again, when Spurs are 9th and Inter 8th with no chance of progression but I doubt the announcement would even have been made unless they had had some conversation with TV channels/OTT providers and know it will sell.

More likely is that this will be a negotiating gambit as you say. UEFAs competition will be worth much less without these clubs, at least short term and the clubs know that all TV deals will have been signed with the expectation that at least some of these would be in the CL. That deal has 3 years to run so UEFA face having to handle calls for refunds.

It is a pretty shitty game these clubs are playing but one that will work and essentially close the door behind them regardless of the final outcome.

Would love UEFA to call their bluff and stop them playing in any affiliated competition until a resolution is found.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 08:21

Of course, the knock on is that clubs like ours will be fcuked.

What is the point in a rich foreign investor sinking in millions if the prestige and finance associated with the PL drops significantly (which it will) and there is no longer a path to Europe's top table and as such, they are unlikely to recoup or make make money on their investment.

Clubs of our size and smaller will only likely exist as one of the mega clubs will want somewhere to send younger players.

To use the American system, the ESL will be the majors and domestic leagues will be the minors - full of upcoming talent and those just back from injury.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 08:57

My hope is that the PL and UEFA look beyond money on this and see how they can have exciting competitions without these clubs. Sadly money drives everything so I expect those organisations to bow down at some point as they will decide they need these clubs and so will give in to demands

I am bang up for a year or 2 without them to see how this can work out, a reorganized PL, more sensible spending by english clubs. Its quite appealing to me tbh. Let these big ego clubs go off on their world tour and see how long the interest lasts.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Apr 2021 09:01

Stranded

Unfortunately a lot of these arguments would have been made when the PL broke away.

I struggle to see the interest fans will have in Spurs V Inter again, when Spurs are 9th and Inter 8th with no chance of progression but I doubt the announcement would even have been made unless they had had some conversation with TV channels/OTT providers and know it will sell.

More likely is that this will be a negotiating gambit as you say. UEFAs competition will be worth much less without these clubs, at least short term and the clubs know that all TV deals will have been signed with the expectation that at least some of these would be in the CL. That deal has 3 years to run so UEFA face having to handle calls for refunds.

It is a pretty shitty game these clubs are playing but one that will work and essentially close the door behind them regardless of the final outcome.

Would love UEFA to call their bluff and stop them playing in any affiliated competition until a resolution is found.

What really changed with the formation of the PL? 20 teams, change in governance structure, but still promotion and relegation; not a closed shop.

Liverpool are away at Leeds tonight; if there is a closed shop superleague that match means nothing. Far more fundamental change than making the PL.

I still think it's just extreme negotiating. The barriers are too great. International eligibility for players, youth leagues could all be gone if they follow through.

There's a lot at stake for them, so hopefully no compromises made by UEFA and FAs. This should be a watershed moment where we say enough is enough and stop appeasing these clubs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 09:09

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

What really changed with the formation of the PL? 20 teams, change in governance structure, but still promotion and relegation; not a closed shop.

Liverpool are away at Leeds tonight; if there is a closed shop superleague that match means nothing. Far more fundamental change than making the PL.

I still think it's just extreme negotiating. The barriers are too great. International eligibility for players, youth leagues could all be gone if they follow through.

There's a lot at stake for them, so hopefully no compromises made by UEFA and FAs. This should be a watershed moment where we say enough is enough and stop appeasing these clubs.

I'm not saying the PL is a closed shop but it has allowed a small band of clubs to accumulate wealth and success at the expense of all others. Being in the PL is, for most, the be all and end all now as they can't afford to face a midweek trip to Luton rather than Liverpool.

This is different. The plan seems to be that there will be 15 clubs who will always be in it. If Spurs finish last every year for a decade it doesn't matter. There will be 5 clubs who can earn the right to compete each year via some form of qualification system but it doesn't state yet what would happen if say, Ajax qualify and win the thing. No guarantee they get to enter the following year.

It's a mess but the hope is, this really needs the two big German clubs and PSG to work. If they continue to show no interest then it may be easy to chip away at enough of the other clubs so that it slowly dies.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2021 09:17

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

I'm not saying the PL is a closed shop but it has allowed a small band of clubs to accumulate wealth and success at the expense of all others. Being in the PL is, for most, the be all and end all now as they can't afford to face a midweek trip to Luton rather than Liverpool.

This is different. The plan seems to be that there will be 15 clubs who will always be in it. If Spurs finish last every year for a decade it doesn't matter. There will be 5 clubs who can earn the right to compete each year via some form of qualification system but it doesn't state yet what would happen if say, Ajax qualify and win the thing. No guarantee they get to enter the following year.

It's a mess but the hope is, this really needs the two big German clubs and PSG to work. If they continue to show no interest then it may be easy to chip away at enough of the other clubs so that it slowly dies.

PSG definitely will join if it goes ahead but aren't going to take a risk with fifa after all the money their owners bribed them with for the world cup. Also reckon they hope to win Champions league by default..

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Apr 2021 09:21

Stranded It's a mess but the hope is, this really needs the two big German clubs and PSG to work. If they continue to show no interest then it may be easy to chip away at enough of the other clubs so that it slowly dies.

was reading last night how Leipzig (of course) have been pushing to be part of this, but obv its Bayern & Dortmund that the ESL want.

I find PSG's angle on this quite interesting as Qatar didn't buy into PSG to make a profit (hence why they threw €400m at 2 players one summer), they bought in to increase PR and 'brand awareness' of Qatar the country. That does fit in with joining the big boys in this super league but we could also find them seeing the bad PR in going ahead with this and before we know it PSG are the good guys! :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Apr 2021 09:26

I know the PL has created great imbalances at the top of our structure, but I think nostalgia is a powerful, deceptive emotion taking people over when they try to argue it's been a bad thing. The 70s and 80s were a woeful time for English football, on and off the pitch. The PL has transformed the game and increased the standard of football throughout the divisions.

This latest development is simply greedy clubs trying to protect their financial interests and trying to ensure that they don't have to earn the riches at the top of the game.

We really need to stop comparing this story to the creation of the PL.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 09:34

This will only die if the countries affiliations get strong and kick them out. It will be the only way.

It is an absolute disgrace this has happened, pure greed, during a pandemic where other clubs down the chain are furloughing staff and going to the wall.

True English fans will not want this. They live for there Liverpool Vs Everton games etc. As someone says Liverpool vs Ajax wont wash week in week out - dull as dishwater.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 09:35

Stranded
Winston Biscuit Not sure these clubs realise how unappealing this will be to most football fans tbh

Mayb€ th€y ju$t dont car€

It may be uninteresting to a lot of European fans but the Asian Market will lap it up $$$$$

and there lies the problem. Tragic.

365 posts