European Super League

365 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: European Super League

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Apr 2021 11:05

windermereROYAL There are group of people that can stop this in it`s tracks, the players, nobody can tell me they are backing this, are the owners going to sack them all if they come out against it in some way?

What are they going to do,? Refuse to play?

They're contracted.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2021 11:05

Winston Biscuit

:lol:

I hate Leeds, but that is quite funny.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2021 11:06

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL There are group of people that can stop this in it`s tracks, the players, nobody can tell me they are backing this, are the owners going to sack them all if they come out against it in some way?

What are they going to do,? Refuse to play?

They're contracted.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2021 11:23

Greatwesternline
Norfolk Royal I'm interested in the posturing of politicians on this in that I don't actually see what say, the UK Government, can actually usefully do about it.

The clubs involved are privately owned and regulated by the various associations they subscribe to, be it UEFA, the FA, FIFA.

Their contract, such as it may be, is surely with those bodies rather than the elected Govt of the day.

As far as I know the Govt or authorities have no real power over the clubs beyond maybe handing out safety certificates for the stadiums and limited involvement in tax affairs and regulation.

In other words it would need some immediate change in the law for the Govt to have any meaningful say about it. State involvement in football would lead to accusations of the virtual nationalisation of the game, surely anathema to its spirit and future, but possibly necessary to prevent the ESL happening.

In any case, even if the UK Govt did go nuclear and prevent the six from this country joining, there is no certainty that the authorities in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, would do the same thing. However without England's big six the ESL may be rendered pointless in any case.

My guess is that the opposition to this will eventually be in the courts with various claims of restraint of trade, breach of contract, etc, etc. An ugly situation with lawyers set for a big payday as usual.

If a group of companies set up a cartel and it is impossible for other companies to compete against that cartel it would be illegal.

But obviously defining what is competition in the world of sports is difficult. Either way, the Government has the power to change any law it wants. So if it changes competition law to say any competitive sports league would be deemed a cartel if some of its members cannot be relegated, it could do that.

The one thing I have seen suggested, and don't know how likely it is, is that the UKG could refuse to give visas out to players/coaches who are not going to compete in a designated competition - so essentially they would decline short stay visas to say Real so they couldn't enter the country to play in the ESL. They could also refuse to give visas to any foreign signings to one of the UK ESL clubs - but assume this could only happen if the 6 were removed from domestic competition.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Apr 2021 11:36

Remember when Packer decided to shake up cricket and the authorities bleated?

Now cricket is WAY more interesting, far more exciting, with all sorts of comps.

Lots of people are arguing and saying stuff as if it's written in blood.

Top clubs compete in Europe NOW and it doesn't have a great effect on the league.

But the problem with 80% (or more) of "European Football" is it's draining, knackering, boring, and not very exciting. The Europa League is a disaster and a millstone around the neck of clubs qualifying. God knows how many games against the like of TNS Wales, Crusaders from NI or Hamilton Academicals, or clubs in Bosnia we have never heard about.

The original knock-out Champions League was great.

But the idea of a Euro Super League? It was only a matter of time. The idea of more-or-less a full league programme with the so-called current English big-six, Barcelona, Real and Athletico Madrid, the top Italian clubs is mouth-watering, and PSG etc would definitely join once it gets off the ground.

There are loads of boring games in The Premiership. Yeah, I REALLY want to watch WBA v Sheffield United, or Watford v Barnsley. The Premiership isn't QUITE a closed shop but it's getting nearer and nearer each year. For ages there were just 1-2-3 clubs able to compete for the top spot, and most of us here have talked about it being three leagues in one. Top 6-7 fighting for Europe, bottom 6-7 trying to not get relegated, the others hoping for some joy in one of the cups and the occasional scalp.

This, or something like it, is inevitable. What matters is we protect the pyramid, try to increase the trickle-down. This is supposed to be bringing in BILLIONS. 10% of that would help a lot of clubs lower down.

We've moved away from standing, stinking toilets, just turning up for games and always getting in. I'm not saying everything is wonderful and I think wages have become obscene, but just the one thing this season (iFollow) has changed my way of thinking. The idea that I might have a home ST but also never miss an away game life is a BIG deal.

We have better TV, much better pitches, fitter, more athletic players, safer grounds, foreign players, a MUCH better standard of play most of the time. Gone is Third Division North, Third Division South. Now we have automatic promotion and relegation from Non League to Leg 2 (but the pyramid didn't collapse when AWFUL clubs like my own Newport County were re-elected every year after finishing bottom.

Times change. I'm not saying all is good, but these are BUSINESSES and they have the right to look for change. The idea that football belongs to the fans has always been romantic bollocks. Check what percentage of FA Cup Final tickets go to real fans

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Apr 2021 11:52

Just picking this up from page one.

The old European Cup was just so superior in every way, such a shame that’ll never come back, imagine a proper knockout tournament for only the actual champions of Europe’s various domestic leagues where you had to win over two games in every round.

It just wasn't. This is sepia-tinted nonsense. I've posted this before, but take a look back at the opponents some of the old European Cup winners faced. There was no real challenge for the best sides until they reached the QFs, even sometimes later. When Liverpool won it in 1981, they reached the semi-final by beating OPS (Finnish champions), Aberdeen and CSKA Sofia by a combined 22-3. Some of the better sides at the time got drawn (was unseeded) together in the second round, Bayern got Ajax for example, which cleared a path somewhat.

So yeah, switch back and you see Olympiakos (or whoever) make a 'shock' QF appearance after Real draw PSG in round of 16, and to what end? So Real can smash them to bits in the QFs instead? Nah.

What the current competition does is ensure that the best club teams in Europe fight for the chance to be crowned champions of Europe. That is the right thing.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Apr 2021 11:57

Norfolk Royal
Well yes, the Govt in theory could change or create any law it wanted to, whether it is advisable or the right thing to do is a different matter. It may also be subject to challenge.

In the example you quote there must be all sorts of sports in various parts of the country where there is say one division, thinking hockey, women's football, cricket, badminton, you name it. Would they not fall foul of the law under your suggestion?

i dont know is the honest answer. Maybe they aren't companies? is a tennis club a company or a charity, or a members association? i dont know.

The Government can change any law it wants, and other than judicial review, which is something the Government knows well about, there isnt much anyone else could do. The Government knows how to make laws that can't be challenged.

Whether it is the right thing to do, absolutely that is a valid question. Comes down to politics. But the politics of clamping down on this super league seem to be very favbourable.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Apr 2021 12:10

I think the current format is the best.

Group stage. Then knockout.

Also to the detractors of the UEFA cup, i think in England it gets bad PR, but for most other countries its a great competition.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2021 12:13

Greatwesternline I think the current format is the best.

Also to the detractors of the UEFA cup, i think in England it gets bad PR, but for most other countries its a great competition.

Totally agree, especially about the Europa League - I think it is highly thought of in other countries.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2021 12:41

Snowball Remember when Packer decided to shake up cricket and the authorities bleated?

Now cricket is WAY more interesting, far more exciting, with all sorts of comps.

Top clubs compete in Europe NOW and it doesn't have a great effect on the league.

But the problem with 80% (or more) of "European Football" is it's draining, knackering, boring, and not very exciting. The Europa League is a disaster and a millstone around the neck of clubs qualifying. God knows how many games against the like of TNS Wales, Crusaders from NI or Hamilton Academicals, or clubs in Bosnia we have never heard about.

But the idea of a Euro Super League? It was only a matter of time. The idea of more-or-less a full league programme with the so-called current English big-six, Barcelona, Real and Athletico Madrid, the top Italian clubs is mouth-watering, and PSG etc would definitely join once it gets off the ground.

There are loads of boring games in The Premiership. Yeah, I REALLY want to watch WBA v Sheffield United, or Watford v Barnsley. The Premiership isn't QUITE a closed shop but it's getting nearer and nearer each year. For ages there were just 1-2-3 clubs able to compete for the top spot, and most of us here have talked about it being three leagues in one. Top 6-7 fighting for Europe, bottom 6-7 trying to not get relegated, the others hoping for some joy in one of the cups and the occasional scalp.

This, or something like it, is inevitable. What matters is we protect the pyramid, try to increase the trickle-down. This is supposed to be bringing in BILLIONS. 10% of that would help a lot of clubs lower down.

We've moved away from standing, stinking toilets, just turning up for games and always getting in. I'm not saying everything is wonderful and I think wages have become obscene, but just the one thing this season (iFollow) has changed my way of thinking. The idea that I might have a home ST but also never miss an away game life is a BIG deal.

We have better TV, much better pitches, fitter, more athletic players, safer grounds, foreign players, a MUCH better standard of play most of the time. Gone is Third Division North, Third Division South. Now we have automatic promotion and relegation from Non League to Leg 2 (but the pyramid didn't collapse when AWFUL clubs like my own Newport County were re-elected every year after finishing bottom.

Times change. I'm not saying all is good, but these are BUSINESSES and they have the right to look for change. The idea that football belongs to the fans has always been romantic bollocks. Check what percentage of FA Cup Final tickets go to real fans

Snowball, you are looking at the Europa League purely through English eyes where it has been lambasted from Day 1 and clubs are made to feel that they have failed by qualifying for it (esp. the two of the "Big Six" who don't make the CL) or that going for it means a mid-table side will be relegated the following year.

In comparison, it is absolutely loved over here. When Frankfurt qualified a couple of years back there were actual street parties as it was considered such a massive prize to have qualified for Europe - it was impossible to get tickets. Picture is pretty much the same across the other major leagues.

For some reason England hates it - always go on about Thursday-Sunday being too much but never complain about Saturday-Tues or Weds-Saturday turnarounds - which are exactly the same. Also if a mid-table club like Everton or Southampton really took it seriously they would stand a good chance in winning it and getting at least one year in the CL where they could attract better players thus giving them a better chance to make the CL via the league in future.

The only thing I would change about the EL is stop parachuting the "best losers" from the CL directly into the knock-outs. You either qualify for the knock outs or you don't.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Apr 2021 12:42

Hendo

Totally agree, especially about the Europa League - I think it is highly thought of in other countries.

Problem is that from an English teams' perspective, it's usually filled by a team fighting for a Champions League spot and so in essence, it's the "consolation prize" - as the norm is that the "big 6" fill 1st to 6th spot. Slightly different now with Arsenal and to a lesser extent Spurs falling, with the additional emergence of Leicester, West Ham and Everton

^Ah - basically what Stranded just said!
Last edited by URZZZZ on 20 Apr 2021 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Apr 2021 12:43

Hendo

The Europa league would benefit from the group stages being a little more competitive. I would be in favour of the elite nations only having 3 Champions League places up for grabs and the team finishing 4th go into the Europa League. We'd end up having 5 or 6 high quality teams added to it thus creating some decent group stage matches. Not suggesting there is a chance of that happening but it is what I would like to see.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2021 12:43

Hendo

As just posted above, it really is. It's a great competition that has a negative press in the UK because:

a) it isn't the Champions League
b) you play on Thursday
c) you may have to travel to Azerbaijan for a game if you are unlucky.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2021 12:44

NathStPaul
Hendo

The Europa league would benefit from the group stages being a little more competitive. I would be in favour of the elite nations only having 3 Champions League places up for grabs and the team finishing 4th go into the Europa League. We'd end up having 5 or 6 high quality teams added to it thus creating some decent group stage matches. Not suggesting there is a chance of that happening but it is what I would like to see.

I believe that the introduction of the Conference League was meant to go someway to levelling up competitions.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Apr 2021 12:47

Stranded
Snowball Remember when Packer decided to shake up cricket and the authorities bleated?

Snowball, you are looking at the Europa League purely through English eyes where it has been lambasted from Day 1 and clubs are made to feel that they have failed by qualifying for it (esp. the two of the "Big Six" who don't make the CL) or that going for it means a mid-table side will be relegated the following year.

In comparison, it is absolutely loved over here. When Frankfurt qualified a couple of years back there were actual street parties as it was considered such a massive prize to have qualified for Europe - it was impossible to get tickets. Picture is pretty much the same across the other major leagues.

For some reason England hates it - always go on about Thursday-Sunday being too much but never complain about Saturday-Tues or Weds-Saturday turnarounds - which are exactly the same. Also if a mid-table club like Everton or Southampton really took it seriously they would stand a good chance in winning it and getting at least one year in the CL where they could attract better players thus giving them a better chance to make the CL via the league in future.

The only thing I would change about the EL is stop parachuting the "best losers" from the CL directly into the knock-outs. You either qualify for the knock outs or you don't.

Klopp and Ole (shock) spent numerous weeks complaining about the Wednesday - Saturday turnaround tbf

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2021 12:58

Stranded
Hendo

As just posted above, it really is. It's a great competition that has a negative press in the UK because:

a) it isn't the Champions League
b) you play on Thursday
c) you may have to travel to Azerbaijan for a game if you are unlucky.

As a fan, I'd oxf*rd love it if my team qualified for Europa League, long weekend in a different city every other week. Sign me up.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Apr 2021 13:06

Rumoured that two English teams' commitment to the ESL are wavering (accordingly Chelsea and Man City)

You'd hope they'd tumble like dominoes (especially the English 6) if one/two drop out

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 20 Apr 2021 13:20

Snowball This, or something like it, is inevitable. What matters is we protect the pyramid, try to increase the trickle-down. This is supposed to be bringing in BILLIONS. 10% of that would help a lot of clubs lower down.

Your faith in trickle-down economics is far greater than mine will ever be. You're going to trust the owners of the richest clubs in the world, whose current finances mean they're wanting to form the ESL to get more money for themselves, to do the decent thing and give a load of money away. Good luck with that.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Apr 2021 13:25

URZZZZ
Stranded

Klopp and Ole (shock) spent numerous weeks complaining about the Wednesday - Saturday turnaround tbf

Ridiculous and pathetic imo

They are elite level athletes whose job is to play football. They should be able to play 2 games in 4 days. Its only 90 minutes of light to heavy jogging

Basketball players play back to back games over multiple nights

I dont complain if I work overtime till 2am then need to clock on at 8.30am again
Last edited by Simmops on 20 Apr 2021 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Apr 2021 13:26

6ft Kerplunk
Snowball This, or something like it, is inevitable. What matters is we protect the pyramid, try to increase the trickle-down. This is supposed to be bringing in BILLIONS. 10% of that would help a lot of clubs lower down.

Your faith in trickle-down economics is far greater than mine will ever be. You're going to trust the owners of the richest clubs in the world, whose current finances mean they're wanting to form the ESL to get more money for themselves, to do the decent thing and give a load of money away. Good luck with that.

i dont understand how 10% of a bigger pie helps the lower league?

As the money gets bigger, the gaps get wider, so its better to have 10% of a smaller pot than 10% of a bigger pot.

Its not absolute money the championship clubs need, its to be closer in absolute terms to the Premier league.

Any increase simply gets spent anyway. The solution to most football problems isnt more money, the ONLY people who gain form that are footballers and their wages. The solution is to spread the vast amounts of money that football will always generate as evenly as possible to keep it unpredictable.

365 posts