European Super League

365 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: European Super League

by BR0B0T » 19 Apr 2021 12:51

Greatwesternline Can't wait to see what the likes of Klopp and Guardiola say in press conferences.

Klopp has cultivated an image of a guy who cares about integrity, will be interesting to see how he reacts.

Guardiola has to an extent attempted to cultivate a similar vibe, but it's unconvincing, he manages a club bank rolled by oil wealth, which represents #modernfootball more than almost any other.

PSG being the other one.

PSG will have some vested interest in not joining...their owners have prolly paid for CL TV rights or whatevs

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Apr 2021 12:53

Winston Biscuit BBC Sports man saying they understand it was Real Madrid and Man Utd that have been the main clubs in pushing this idea

The Glazers are proper pcunts

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Apr 2021 12:54

So as I see it we'd be looking at something like this:

Current 12:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Tottenham
Atletico
Real
Barca
Juve
AC
Inter

Targeted 3 more:
Bayern
Dortmund
PSG

Qualifying 5:
Ajax
Porto
Benfica
4th Spanish club (eg Sevilla)
4th Italian club (eg Roma)

I get the impression that the current 12 already know who else they want in this Super League, even down to what I've called the qualifying 5. I doubt they'd be wanting a random eastern European side in there "sullying" the new brand. Whether the other 8 clubs I've listed would entertain it (obviously a few have already outright rejected it), is another matter, but I think there is certainly a rather short list of desirable "others" the current 12 want to make up the full league, even though they're suggesting it will be open qualifying at the moment.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2021 13:14

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
NathStPaul Isn't the Real Madrid owner the chariman of the European Super League?

Why did I think they were owned by the Spanish royal family?

Same reason you thought Reading were owned by the British royal family.

You mean we're not?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Apr 2021 13:21

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Why did I think they were owned by the Spanish royal family?

Same reason you thought Reading were owned by the British royal family.

You mean we're not?

We were until 1983 when they tried to merge us with Windsor & Eton, but Roger Smee stepped in to save us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2021 13:24

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman Same reason you thought Reading were owned by the British royal family.

You mean we're not?

We were until 1983 when they tried to merge us with Windsor & Eton, but Roger Smee stepped in to save us.

Lucky us. Gonna rush out and get a Roger Smee tattoo now.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 19 Apr 2021 13:28

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth You mean we're not?

Lucky us. Gonna rush out and get a Roger Smee tattoo now.

I remember watching a tv show about 15 years ago saying they were thinking of renaming Real Madrid ‘Raúl Madrid’ after Raúl Blanco.

I’m still waiting.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Apr 2021 13:34

Seriously though, fans saying "I'll never support my club again" and "I'll boycott my club"......it's all b*ll*ks.
They will still support their club....and there will always be other fans to take their place.
These are the same fans that are moaning about owners not spending money or buying this player or that player for 80 million. Football will move on if they go.........and I really do hope they go because I can't wait to see Chelsea and Liverpool fans crying when it all goes wrong.
I wonder if this is just a stepping stone for a world league where China and the US teams come in with big backers as well as African and South American sides. FIFA have been talking about it themselves.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Apr 2021 13:47

Have FIFA made any comment yet?

FIFA, UEFA and the relevant National Leagues/Authorities need to issue a joint statement not only condemning this but explaining the consequences for the clubs and players for going down this path.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Apr 2021 13:50

Brum Royal So as I see it we'd be looking at something like this:

Current 12:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Tottenham
Atletico
Real
Barca
Juve
AC
Inter

Targeted 3 more:
Bayern
Dortmund
PSG

Qualifying 5:
Ajax
Porto
Benfica
4th Spanish club (eg Sevilla)
4th Italian club (eg Roma)

I get the impression that the current 12 already know who else they want in this Super League, even down to what I've called the qualifying 5. I doubt they'd be wanting a random eastern European side in there "sullying" the new brand. Whether the other 8 clubs I've listed would entertain it (obviously a few have already outright rejected it), is another matter, but I think there is certainly a rather short list of desirable "others" the current 12 want to make up the full league, even though they're suggesting it will be open qualifying at the moment.

Feyenoord and Lyon are also possibilities to be included in the qualifying 5, and possibly a club from Turkey such as Galatasary.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Apr 2021 14:00

Gonna be very interesting to hear what Klopp says pre-match tonight. Will he split from the owners or toe the line?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Apr 2021 14:04

genome Gonna be very interesting to hear what Klopp says pre-match tonight. Will he split from the owners or toe the line?

Think he'll give it "I won't be answering any questions about it" and then get all hot and bothered when the interview keeps asking him questions about it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Apr 2021 14:05

genome Gonna be very interesting to hear what Klopp says pre-match tonight. Will he split from the owners or toe the line?

Rumours circulating that he will walk. Rumours..... but.....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 14:06

I would imagine at this point, any other club who may be interested is waiting to see how the backlash pans out as well as the court case.

If the court rules in favour of the ESL, which some experts believe it will, then you will likely get expressions of interest from other clubs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 14:09

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit Porto confirm they have no interest in joining

You've got to wonder at the motivation of a lot of the clubs involved, let alone the 5 invited each season.

Hey, Spurs, fancy going back to finishing 14th every season and being the club no one wants to watch? I know you aren't capable of winning a trophy, but now you won't get within even a sniff of one for the rest of time!

Hey everyone else, we'll let 5 of you come and be the whipping boys for a year, whilst we have great fun. Just so we don't harm our brand and have any of us finish in the bottom 5.

Can you imagine a scenario where Arsenal / Spurs have a bad season, and focus on the ShitPcunt League, only to get relegated from the PL?

Yeah Super League! One of our star sides is actually 10th in the English second tier.

Probably putting 2 and 2 together here but I can really see the ESL going down a US model, given who is involved i.e. ownership and JP Morgan. The clubs will essentially become franchises and players will sign to the SuperLeague and not a club. There will essentially then be an auction or draft whereby clubs competing get to their pick of the players available. Players may only even be "allowed" to register for 2 seasons before becoming available for drafting again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Apr 2021 14:16

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit really hope 1 big name player at one of these clubs speaks out against it

Yeah this is what is needed, the players need to come together and speak out against it. Sadly I just don't see it happening when you think about the increased salaries they will get by playing in the European Super League.

Yep - it's where you need strong characters to come out and give their worth

Something which doesn't really exist within the game anymore - there are very few characters now within the top teams, even amongst the management now

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Apr 2021 14:25

paultheroyal

Rumours circulating that he will walk. Rumours..... but.....

This seems to be based on comments he made a couple of years back where he was very anti a Super League. He has always struck me as someone who would rather quit than toe the line with something he opposes, so it wouldn't surprise me if he walks (but I won't be surprised if he doesn't either).

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Apr 2021 14:38

I'm against all this Super League of course, but UEFA (and the Premier League) are hardly innocent, altruistic agents either. As for "the fans", they long since ceased to count. There are 50 000 -75 000 who regularly turn up at OT, Anfield and they tend to be locals. Far more important are the millions of other "fans" like Cmonurz and Brobot, who might as well be in Malaysia, and they will pay to watch their team on premium tv. They count more.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Apr 2021 14:46

LUX I'm against all this Super League of course, but UEFA (and the Premier League) are hardly innocent, altruistic agents either. As for "the fans", they long since ceased to count. There are 50 000 -75 000 who regularly turn up at OT, Anfield and they tend to be locals. Far more important are the millions of other "fans" like Cmonurz and Brobot, who might as well be in Malaysia, and they will pay to watch their team on premium tv. They count more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You live in another country to your 'Local' team!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 19 Apr 2021 14:48

yes.

I only follow Reading for the glory.

365 posts