European Super League

365 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: European Super League

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 10:22

My point was that its still a clear case of the more you spend the nearer the top you finish, the less you spend the nearer the bottom you finish. Its been that way for a while and you get exceptions to it which make it exciting. But it has been edging more and more that way in recent years, and this season has ended up typifying where it has been heading.

Doesn't mean Barnsley can't now win the play offs, I am talking about how it has generally been moving towards little by little season by season

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 10:51

Interesting point from journalists on the Guardian Football podcast this morning that the 6 owners had already factored in that there would be a ton of flack from UK based fans but they were chasing the foreign market and they believed that audience would love it as they don't get involved in the day to day culture of football and instead just watch games. It was pointed out that one thing that surprised these owners was the flack they got from football fans around the world as they bought into the culture of it much more than they realised. One of them said the fans in the U.S don't just watch the games, they really buy into the history and culture of English football and they could see that it was this that would be impacted

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Apr 2021 10:56

Almost like if they had done some actual research on this, they would've realised it was a bad idea from the off?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 11:00

I find it genuinely amazing that a group of people who have (mostly) built up companies to the point they are billionaires got this so badly wrong. These are not thick people. They must have a lot of business intelligence and decades of experience of knowing what you do before launching something new, yet their approach to it was like some kids homework project which involved nothing more than saying 'lets just have the best ones play football together and we will call it Super!'

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 12:18

Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal Here's a thought. If you want football to be interesting. And games to be exciting. And big clashes from the start of the tournament, level the playing field.

It's not interesting because the early results are a foregone conclusion because Real and their ilk have hoovered up all the money and talent and priced everyone else out.

The Championship is interesting because the top 6 could end up as teams from about 75% of the division. Not like La Liga where the top 3 is only ever going to be a very small pool of clubs.

Agree with the general sentiment, but not on the bold bit. Sadly those days are behind us. Look at the top 3 in the champ now. I think this season more than any has been a real low for the Championship, showing that those who are given bucketfuls of money (either this season or last when in the PL) will come out on top and the others are left to fight for the scraps

Still a much more exciting division than most though

As I've said before. That's been said forever. Show me a significant difference over multiple seasons compared to previous decades and I'll take it seriously. Not a one season example and some gut feeling.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 12:20

Winston Biscuit I find it genuinely amazing that a group of people who have (mostly) built up companies to the point they are billionaires got this so badly wrong. These are not thick people. They must have a lot of business intelligence and decades of experience of knowing what you do before launching something new, yet their approach to it was like some kids homework project which involved nothing more than saying 'lets just have the best ones play football together and we will call it Super!'

Bit of an assumption that
a) the owners earnt their billions from actual skill
B) those skills are transferable to football
C) they were very involved
D) they have anything like the same support staff at a football club to their money making businesses

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 12:48

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal Here's a thought. If you want football to be interesting. And games to be exciting. And big clashes from the start of the tournament, level the playing field.

It's not interesting because the early results are a foregone conclusion because Real and their ilk have hoovered up all the money and talent and priced everyone else out.

The Championship is interesting because the top 6 could end up as teams from about 75% of the division. Not like La Liga where the top 3 is only ever going to be a very small pool of clubs.

Agree with the general sentiment, but not on the bold bit. Sadly those days are behind us. Look at the top 3 in the champ now. I think this season more than any has been a real low for the Championship, showing that those who are given bucketfuls of money (either this season or last when in the PL) will come out on top and the others are left to fight for the scraps

As I've said before. That's been said forever. Show me a significant difference over multiple seasons compared to previous decades and I'll take it seriously. Not a one season example and some gut feeling.

I could say exactly the same to you, but we both know neither of us is going to spend their day researching decades of football to prove the other wrong in some kind of internet point scoring battle zone. Maybe lets just agree to disagree and leave it there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2021 12:55

Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit

I could say exactly the same to you, but we both know neither of us is going to spend their day researching decades of football to prove the other wrong in some kind of internet point scoring battle zone. Maybe lets just agree to disagree and leave it there.

Yeah, but I'm not the one making an assertion. I'm challenging an assertion made without any real evidence.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 12:57

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit
Snowflake Royal As I've said before. That's been said forever. Show me a significant difference over multiple seasons compared to previous decades and I'll take it seriously. Not a one season example and some gut feeling.

Yeah, but I'm not the one making an assertion. I'm challenging an assertion made without any real evidence.

My post was a response to your assertion.

I am really not interested in this kind of conversation Snowflake. We hold different opinions which is fine.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Apr 2021 13:50

Winston Biscuit I find it genuinely amazing that a group of people who have (mostly) built up companies to the point they are billionaires got this so badly wrong. These are not thick people. They must have a lot of business intelligence and decades of experience of knowing what you do before launching something new, yet their approach to it was like some kids homework project which involved nothing more than saying 'lets just have the best ones play football together and we will call it Super!'

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Apr 2021 18:20

The Arsenal supporters have stormed the Emirates in protest at the ownership.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 19:11

NathStPaul The Arsenal supporters have stormed the Emirates in protest at the ownership.

I think they are just chanting for the owner to leave as they make their way into the stadium for tonight's game

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Apr 2021 07:37

Watching Arsenal last night makes it even more baffling that they consider themselves one of the so called big 6, it`s incredible how far they have fallen since Wenger left and the current owners took over.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Apr 2021 08:26

windermereROYAL Watching Arsenal last night makes it even more baffling that they consider themselves one of the so called big 6, it`s incredible how far they have fallen since Wenger left and the current owners took over.

The Arsenal fans hounded Wenger out. They've got everything they deserved.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 24 Apr 2021 10:45

https://en.as.com/en/2021/04/24/football/1619226605_569293.html

Someone needs to tell this guy to stop doing interviews.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Apr 2021 13:29

Orion1871 https://en.as.com/en/2021/04/24/football/1619226605_569293.html

Someone needs to tell this guy to stop doing interviews.

He really doesn’t get the fact that what he’s promoting is massively anti-competitive

After a while the games at the bottom end will be dead rubbers and just like friendlies with nothing on them.

And he also can’t quite grasp that fact that it’s the HUGE overspending of the very same clubs that has got them into this position

As for comparing the global sport that is football (his words, not mine) with basketball is just :shock: and underlines his lack of understanding

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Apr 2021 09:42

Sunday Times’ Cummings-Johnson article has some interesting dirt.

Johnson met Ed Woodward, chief exec of Manchester United, 3 days before the Super League announcement and gave backing for the move

Three days later, after the outrage begins he condemns it ...

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Apr 2021 09:39

Winst, I like stats, so I'll meet you halfway on the research side. I've looked at the non yo-yo promoted sides of the last five years - which of these were promoted cos money, relative to the sides they beat?

Leeds last season, returning to the Premier League after around 20 years.
Sheffield United two years ago, their first promotion to the top flight since 2007. In that year, Villa won the play-offs, ending a four-year break from the Premier League.
Cardiff were promoted in 17-18, and went straight back down. They've spent just two years in the last century in the top flight.
In 16-17, Brighton won promotion to the top division for the first time since 1982.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 May 2021 15:48

Italian Football Federation has confirmed that unless Juventus officially withdraw from the Super League, they will be unable to compete in Italian domestic competition next season in line with their rules.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 May 2021 14:38

UEFA starts disciplinary action against Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus, the remaining teams aligned to the ESL. And rightly so. But I feel like I can already see the future on this, with CAS eventually agreeing with the three that any attempts by UEFA or leagues to punish them for this amounts to restraint of trade.

365 posts