Premier League Hall of Fame

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Premier League Hall of Fame

by Hendo » 26 Apr 2021 11:16

So it looks like there will be a Premier League Hall of Fame.

I quite like the idea, went to the Pro Football (American Football) HOF back in 2019 and it really was decent. Loads of history, loads of cool bits of memorabilia and loads of stuff I didn't know.

Hopefully it will end up being something like that, although I think it would be better if they expended it to the whole of the English football league history - although I guess they do already have the museum for that.

First inductees are Henry and Shearer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56884994

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Premier League Hall of Fame

by NathStPaul » 26 Apr 2021 11:34

Karl Henry?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 Apr 2021 14:02

Would've been a good idea to have had 11 players in the first lot to go in, have a vote for an all star team.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Apr 2021 14:48

My 11

Schmeichel
Neville G.
Terry
Ferdinand R.
Cole

Keane
Viera
Lampard

Shearer
Henry
Ageuro

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Apr 2021 16:10

Micky Quinn for his opening day hat-trick

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Apr 2021 00:35

United have won approx 1/2 the Premier Leagues

If the HoF isn't jam-packed with United players then I'd suggest it's bollox

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Apr 2021 07:52

BR0B0T United have won approx 1/2 the Premier Leagues

:roll:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Apr 2021 08:27

Giggs would have been a shoo-in but that would be problematic now, Schmeichel ought to be the first goalie to go in depending how they do it

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Apr 2021 09:24

Silver Fox Giggs would have been a shoo-in but that would be problematic now, Schmeichel ought to be the first goalie to go in depending how they do it

Schmeichel is the only keeper on the initial 23-man shortlist (from which fans will vote for 6). I'd venture over time fans will vote more for goalscorers than defenders, though.

Brobers will be relieved that 9 of that 23-man shortlist are United players. And it does omit Giggs.

Tony Adams, David Beckham, Dennis Bergkamp, Sol Campbell, Eric Cantona, Andrew Cole, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba, Les Ferdinand, Rio Ferdinand, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane, Frank Lampard, Matt Le Tissier, Michael Owen, Peter Schmeichel, Paul Scholes, John Terry, Robin van Persie, Nemanja Vidic, Patrick Viera, Ian Wright.

I think fans will pick Beckham, Bergkamp, Cantona, Gerrard, Scholes and Wright (50% United, Brobers, so you can stop sweating).

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Apr 2021 09:27

BR0B0T United have won approx 1/2 the Premier Leagues

You're right, it should have a vast amount of United players. They were the 1990's, they were far superior to all other Premier League sides.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Apr 2021 09:30

Stephen Hunt's knee

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Apr 2021 10:38

Sanguine
Silver Fox Giggs would have been a shoo-in but that would be problematic now, Schmeichel ought to be the first goalie to go in depending how they do it

Schmeichel is the only keeper on the initial 23-man shortlist (from which fans will vote for 6). I'd venture over time fans will vote more for goalscorers than defenders, though.

Brobers will be relieved that 9 of that 23-man shortlist are United players. And it does omit Giggs.

Tony Adams, David Beckham, Dennis Bergkamp, Sol Campbell, Eric Cantona, Andrew Cole, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba, Les Ferdinand, Rio Ferdinand, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane, Frank Lampard, Matt Le Tissier, Michael Owen, Peter Schmeichel, Paul Scholes, John Terry, Robin van Persie, Nemanja Vidic, Patrick Viera, Ian Wright.

I think fans will pick Beckham, Bergkamp, Cantona, Gerrard, Scholes and Wright (50% United, Brobers, so you can stop sweating).

United and Liverpool fans have the numbers as well, so would expect more of their players to be voted in. Utd fans will defo vote for Keane

...and obvs Giggs can't go in with his current issues

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Apr 2021 10:39

BR0B0T United and Liverpool fans have the numbers as well, so would expect more of their players to be voted in.

Exactly why inductees shouldn't be voted in by fans

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Apr 2021 10:43

Silver Fox
BR0B0T United and Liverpool fans have the numbers as well, so would expect more of their players to be voted in.

but then you just end up with bias on a small panel

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Apr 2021 10:48

BR0B0T
Silver Fox

No, get a decent voting board of writers and former pros and broadcasters like with the BBWA and you'll get a proper HoF

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Apr 2021 11:03

Silver Fox
BR0B0T
Silver Fox

No, get a decent voting board of writers and former pros and broadcasters like with the BBWA and you'll get a proper HoF

100% agree. That is how they do it in the US for Pro Football.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/

Who Selects New Hall of Fame Members?

The Pro Football Hall of Fame's 48-person Selection Committee is charged with the vital task of continuing to ensure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced.

The Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city — with two from New York and two from Los Angeles, as those cities each have two teams in the National Football League. There are 16 at-large Selectors, who are active members of the media or persons intricately involved in professional football, including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America. All appointments are open-ended and approved annually by a majority vote of the Hall of Fame's Board of Trustees.

The Selection Committee meets annually on the Saturday before the Super Bowl to elect new members of the Hall of Fame. There is no set number of new enshrinees, but the Committee’s current ground rules do stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year. Every candidate is thoroughly reviewed and must receive approval from at least 80 percent of the full Committee to be elected.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Apr 2021 12:11

Silver Fox Exactly why inductees shouldn't be voted in by fans

Plus its only a matter of time before some bellend tries to be funny by starting a social media campaign to get Ali Dia inducted.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Apr 2021 13:19

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

As big a pile of pointless festering dooley as you can get, file alongside the pointless rock ‘n’ roll hall of fame etc.

Who on earth thinks a “hall of fame” to “celebrate” about 30 years of top division English football is an actual thing most people would give a castlemaine xxxx about?

If you’d going to do it, do it so it might actually be worthwhile and meaningful ie. across the entire football league in all its guises since it’s inception back in 1888. Don’t really need the usual “big-ups” for all the usual names, some of whom probably wouldn’t really be worth a place if it was done across the wider picture.

And certainly don’t need “user” votes to decide on things as that’ll just be subverted in favour of the clubs with the biggest support and/or whatever agenda someone wants to organise and get behind.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Apr 2021 13:29

Sutekh
Who on earth thinks a “hall of fame” to “celebrate” about 30 years of top division English football is an actual thing most people would give a castlemaine xxxx about?

I understand that, but you've always got to start somewhere, I feel like 30 years after the first season seems about right.

In 100 years, you won't have anyone who remembers seeing these players and I think it is worth capturing that history.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Apr 2021 18:14

Just watched the Prem League youtube channel and their video they put out of the nominees

Matt Le Tissier was criminally underused for England and scored some absolute worldies

If he were playing today there would be no doubt he would be at a top team, what a underrated player