No
76%
Yes
24%

Total votes: 127
Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 14 Jul 2006 23:19

Aa a kid, if asked, I would have said that I supported Chelsea and followed Reading and can even remember going to a reserve match at Elm Park decked out in all my Chelsea gear (Reading reserves won 2 -1 and I was about the only Chelsea "fan" there ). That order would have changed when I was about 12 but I still followed Chelsea even though there would have been no-way that I would have supported them over the Royals again (and this was the when they almost dropped to the third tier and regular games were looking a distinct possibility). I still keep an eye on their results but with increasing disinterest and, now that they are direct rivals, mean nothing more to me than any other premiership opponent.

Other teams I follow are the New Zealand Knights in the Australian A league and Shenyang Jinde in the Chinese league.

B.T.W: I voted No to the poll question.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 15 Jul 2006 00:11

In my opinion you should support your local team. Reading were not always my local team, therefore I do have a first love, but when we play them this season that will be forgotten.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 15 Jul 2006 07:11

22 years in glasgow, grew up supporting a team north of the border

15 years in the south east of england starting with 10 years in Reading... support your local team!

now follow both and go to as many of each teams games as possible

scottish league cup final on a sunday then straight back for brighton away on a monday night

porto away on a wednesday and then straight back for plymouth away on a saturday

shaydee

by shaydee » 15 Jul 2006 08:32

I live in the States so I follow the New York Red Bulls as well. I grew up watching Mexican footy on TV so I have a soft spot for Cruz Azul as well.

Holding Out Hope

by Holding Out Hope » 15 Jul 2006 08:57

Liverpool and Reading for me.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jul 2006 09:42

Forbury Lion
SpaceCruiser
TBM
SpaceCruiser
readingbedding It's not a witch hunt, I'm just interested as to why some people can support two teams.

I don't, I only support Reading.

So you ran around as a kid wearing a Liverpool kit

SpaceLOLoser

If I had known that there was a Reading Football Club when I was a kid, then I wouldn't have done so.
Ignorant plastic scouser!

Presumably you did realise Liverpool FC were from Liverpool and that Liverpool isn't local?

No, at the time I didn't know where the hell Liverpool was!!!!

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 17 Jul 2006 18:56

Andover and Reading for me...

C'mon you lions! :wink:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Jul 2006 10:04

I wouldnt say I care much about any other team, but there are other teams I follow either because theyre local or because friends support them.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Jul 2006 10:05

I wouldnt say I care much about any other team, but there are other teams I follow either because theyre local or because friends support them assuming we're not in the same division as them :wink:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Jul 2006 17:31

With 18,000 ST holders, there are a lot of old Reading fans coming back into the fold, but I would also say that there are a few who have one eye on another team, but will go to see Premiership football anyhow.

Not that I have a problem with that, I just hope that if the wheels fall off (which I hope it doesn't) most of them will continue to see Reading play.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Jul 2006 21:42

I support Reading, follow Torquay but don't support them (if that makes sense!) :lol:

The first game I ever went to was when I was on holiday in Devon in 1994. Torquay were playing Northampton in midweek so we went along, I have followed Torquay ever since that day. I went to my first Reading game shortly after getting back from that holiday and have supported them ever since. 8)

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 30 Jul 2006 08:33

I 've always supported Reading

But I have a 2nd team who I follow but not a lot
and that's Partick Thistle... due to my granddad's influence
they are known as the jags..which is 8)

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Jul 2006 10:31

Seeing as I'm part of the first generation to be born in Milton Keynes I have a soft spot for the Dons and would love to see them do well.

The fact that everyone else seems to hate them just strengthens the attraction. Nobody seems to realise that a club that left London for Bucks in search of a brighter future is the perfect reflection of the community it represents, most of whom made the same journey and faced the same early struggles to adapt. An overspill club for an overspill town, what could be more fitting.

Mad dog is already becoming a firm favourite in MK. I can't think of many people better suited to harnessing the famous local siege mentality. Oh, and the new stadium is looking pretty impressive too...........

Reading will always be my club (supported for nearly 20 years now thanks to family influence, STH for 6) - but I have no problem in actively supporting my home town team whenever I can.

BTW - in case you were wondering given my location, hell will freeze over before I wish anything positive for the two Bristol clubs. Rovers I can just about tolerate, City have the worst fans in the country and deserve nothing but contempt.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 30 Jul 2006 11:58

Winkleman was looking for any old club that fitted the bill.
The town already had a football team, Milton Keynes City.
Since 1998, Winkelman had been approaching other clubs that were struggling financially, including Barnet, Luton Town and Queens Park Rangers, without success.
However, in Wimbledon, itself looking for a new home after years out of Wimbledon and in a crowded London market, he found a club willing to listen. He persuaded the directors that a move to Milton Keynes might give the club the new start it needed.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Do you support more than one club?

by Row Z Royal » 30 Jul 2006 12:16

readingbedding I'm not talking about liking the way a team plays, I mean support.

I mean switching allegiance.
I mean changing your mind growing up.

Reading this forum there seems to be people who have more than one club in their hearts.

It would be interesting to know why.

I was brought up an Arsenal fan and, last year, I was able to call myself a part-time Gooner. However, the first game I went to was with my ManUre supporting uncle. When Reading played ManUre in the cup all those years ago, he went as a Reading fan. I couldn't go to Highbury last season but I listened to the game as a Reading fan.

Reading are my local club. The first game I saw was theirs. I'm a Reading supporter and the Arsenal thing is now an interest when they're in Europe.

Because of my childhood, I can't wait for the Spurs games.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Jul 2006 13:01

readingbedding Winkleman was looking for any old club that fitted the bill.
The town already had a football team, Milton Keynes City.
Since 1998, Winkelman had been approaching other clubs that were struggling financially, including Barnet, Luton Town and Queens Park Rangers, without success.
However, in Wimbledon, itself looking for a new home after years out of Wimbledon and in a crowded London market, he found a club willing to listen. He persuaded the directors that a move to Milton Keynes might give the club the new start it needed.

All true (apart from the MK City bit - if a load of binmen/plasterers counted then you could say that London has over 10,000 teams!). Just not sure what your point is..........

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jul 2006 13:21

No other league club but I'm planning to start supporting Silsden in the North West Counties League next season when it doesn't clash with Reading.

The only other team in any sport that I support with any passion is the Mayo Gaelic football team. I don't support a club side as I have family connections to three of the top club sides in Ireland, Deel Rovers of Crossmolina, Knockmore and Ballina Stephenites, all based within 10 miles of each other. It's parish based, highly competative, rivalries are fierce and loyalty is expected so I have to be impartial to avoid offending any part of the family. The traditional Easter Deel-Knockmore derby is one of the most violent sporting events I have ever witnessed.

FozzieMcgregor

by FozzieMcgregor » 30 Jul 2006 13:41

No one in my immediate family had any interest in Club Football, so when my Glaswegian uncle started sending me Glasgow Rangers programmes and the occasional replica shirt for birthdays/christmases, I started taking an interest in them. From the age of 7 to 11, I called myself a Rangers fan though I never once saw them play.

Friends at school all supported the big Premiership teams, I never went in for any of that... never felt a connection.

Somehow I lost interest in football for a couple of years (weird kid, I know) but when I got interested again, it was Reading all the way - I'm Reading born and bred and love this club - especially as my first actual match attended was a Reading game.

So no other team can ever get my support, though I do follow the results of DC United in the MLS as I have a friend out there.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Jul 2006 14:27

Don't actually support another club, supporting another club in my mind means paying money to watch them, but I do look for other clubs results. PNE, Colchester, Ipswich, Rangers, and this season I'll be watching out for Hull as well.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

Re: Do you support more than one club?

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 30 Jul 2006 14:49

Row Z Royal
readingbedding I'm not talking about liking the way a team plays, I mean support.

I mean switching allegiance.
I mean changing your mind growing up.

Reading this forum there seems to be people who have more than one club in their hearts.

It would be interesting to know why.

I was brought up an Arsenal fan and, last year, I was able to call myself a part-time Gooner. However, the first game I went to was with my ManUre supporting uncle. When Reading played ManUre in the cup all those years ago, he went as a Reading fan. I couldn't go to Highbury last season but I listened to the game as a Reading fan.

Reading are my local club. The first game I saw was theirs. I'm a Reading supporter and the Arsenal thing is now an interest when they're in Europe.

Because of my childhood, I can't wait for the Spurs games.

you will be cheering the gunners on then in the reading games,given your childhood?