Liverpool
15%
Arsenal
25%

Total votes: 194
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who will win the Premiership 2007/8?

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 10:40

Royal Rother I suppose if the odds were all equal I would probably go for Man Utd but I think Arsenal represent the value on offer.

Last year they were suffering a little from the new stadium syndrome, they lost Henry and Van Persie for long periods, yet still remained unbeaten against the top 3 all season (so I am told?).

If they can get consistency and some of the other members of the team to take a bit more responsibility for scoring goals now that Henry has gone (i.e. for God's sake SHOOT!!) then I can see them stringing together a great run and doing better than the commonly predicted 4th place.

Why don't you just go and support Arsenal, if you love them so much?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Jul 2007 11:04

Thank you. Your intelligent input is always welcome.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jul 2007 11:10

You're welcome, however dull your original post and response was.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 30 Jul 2007 11:10

Arsenal over the weekend looked loads better than last week's Liverpool. Hopefully though both of them can do well, along with Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, Blackburn and Reading and really make the Top 4 a good competition. If the rest of the league can put up some sort of resistance to the Big 2 then perhaps we'll have quite a tight league with any of the top teams capable of winning it.

Perhaps.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Jul 2007 12:25

Van Persie is going to be crucial for them this season, I'd even consider having a cheeky bet on him as top goal scorer on handicap

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 30 Jul 2007 12:51

united, followed closely by chelsea. i'd like to think liverpool will have a good start this season and we could have a three horse race, but i doubt it

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 30 Jul 2007 13:22

My problem with Chelsea is I cant see how they are going to get better if they cant guarantee a good whack of games. SWP and Robben are two prime examples - these players can only get worse, cant they?

That, plus the fact that Ferguson knows what he's doing would suggest that United are shoe-ins.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 30 Jul 2007 16:00

Chelsea will also lose their two best players IMO for almost 4 weeks when Drogba and Essien go and play in the African Cup of Nations.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 30 Jul 2007 16:58

i cant see arsenal doing much, unless they can actually find somebody to break up play and get box to box and drive the midfield for them. They may even fall behind spurs and everton if the rumours of riquelme and baines are true and if wenger continues to ignore the problems his team has.

man u if they get tevez will win the league. They wont have two of there most influential players missing for large parts and have added players tha can make a difference when injuries hit.

chelsea will rin the close

liverpool unless the signings make an imediate impact will not challange the top to. However if they settle in quick and preform well then who knows they have added some decent wingers and have a squad that could well achieve something.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 30 Jul 2007 18:33

Man U will take the title. Chelsea's title will flounder when (not if) Drogba gets injured.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Aug 2007 12:27

Mr Loyal Royal Man U
Liverpool (will give man u a real test though)
Chelsea
Tottenham.

Still confident :lol:

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Aug 2007 13:07

United or Chelsea will go right to the end again. Can't see anyone else being a real threat just yet.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Sep 2007 18:55

My early reflections are that I am quite happy with Arsenal's progress.

Liverpool looking good as well.

Utd are going to struggle as they only have the one real striker and he's a big baby who is incapable of playing with a gnat bite. I can see them finishing 4th.

Anyway, as said elsewhere, with Man Utd and Chelsea both suffering early defeats it looks like being a more intriguing League than usual.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Sep 2007 19:22

This is the first time in the last 30 years that I haven't backed Liverpool to be Champions.
It's not that I didn't think they would do it but rather that the weight of my money on them heaped too much pressure on the players. :wink:
Without that pressure they have started the season looking like champions but there is avery long way to go and there is of course the distraction of the Champions League as the only English club with a realistic chance of winning it.............yet again.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Sep 2007 19:42

Victor Meldrew This is the first time in the last 30 years that I haven't backed Liverpool to be Champions.
It's not that I didn't think they would do it but rather that the weight of my money on them heaped too much pressure on the players. :wink:
Without that pressure they have started the season looking like champions but there is avery long way to go and there is of course the distraction of the Champions League as the only English club with a realistic chance of winning it.............yet again.

There's been too many false dawns for Liverpool since 1990.
Torres has started very, very well though and looks to be the real deal and I think Benitez is getting there...
Maybe...
Loads more twists and turns to come though.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 Sep 2007 23:42

What you have to like about Liverpool is their depth, especially in midfield and attack. They may yet get exposed at the back with a couple of injuries, but I agree they look really, really good so far.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 02 Sep 2007 23:43

biscuitsrus Chelsea's title will flounder when (not if) Drogba gets injured.

Okay .. here we go ....

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 02 Sep 2007 23:50

Chelsea haven't won at Villa since 98/99 :shock:

bassavage

by bassavage » 03 Sep 2007 00:30

Hard to judge yet. Liverpool have played possibly the worst side ever to have played in the Premiership. Having said that they do look better than in previous years. But will Torres & Co. be as good when they are playing Blackburn away in November or Middlesbrough away in January? We will have to see.

Was impressed with how Arsenal have done, especially against Pompey. They again have improved. Players like Van Persie and Fabregas have gone to a new level since Henry has gone and they are in with a shout defenitely. Unsure however with their defence.

I'm unsure about United. They lack a natural goalscorer. Rooney and Tevez are both fantastic players, but neither is a natural goalscorer and I don't think you can rely on midfielders (i.e. Scholes, Ronaldo) to keep bailing you out everytime. Last year they won the league because of the number of goals their midfielders scored. If they don't get as many this year then I can't see them winning it. If they still had Van Nistlerooy, however, I think they would win it.

Despite a poor result against Villa, Chelsea are the side most capable of winning the league. A superb goalkeeper, two good centre-backs, world class midfielders in Essien, Lampard, although he may not show for England certainly does the business for Chelsea. Also they have excellent wide players like Malouda and superb finishers with Drogba and Shevchenko. However, their full backs defensively are quite poor and although SWP and Joe Cole get themselves into excellent positions a lot of the time, their final delivery are very poor.

Defenitely wide open and at the moment very hard to decide but I'm going to say Chelsea. They are hurting from not winning the trophy last year and I think this year they will make sure they put it right this time.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Sep 2007 08:19

readingbedding There's been too many false dawns for Liverpool since 1990.

Normally the dawn is well washed away by the end of the first game of the season, 4 games in this year and they are looking very good. Fair enough Saturday was against major ineptitude but in recent years whatever brave new Liverpool had been assembled wouldn't have pulled out that kind of performance, in fact in the prem era I seem to remember far too many 1-0 home reverses against promoted sides to ever have a chance of the title returning to Anfield. Very early doors but it looks pretty good for the reds at the moment.

274 posts