Liverpool
15%
Arsenal
25%

Total votes: 194
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Sep 2007 09:54

Babel looks like one hell of a player. Some of his skill on the ball against Derby was sublime, including a flick through his own legs to beat Todd.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 04 Sep 2007 18:46

Arsenal have looked good, the key has been Fabregas stepping up and adding goals to his game. I said he'd have the same kind of season as Ronaldo did last year and he's looking that good.

Liverpool have looked good aswell but the hype that has started already is laughable. The last few seasons they've been on runs where they've won 9 times in a row, the trouble with them has always been maintaining that kind of form over the whole season. I don't even think they'll finish in the top 3 because they don't have a settled side and you need that to win titles. They have a decent central midfield but are Pennant and Babel good enough to get 25 goals between them which is what you need your wingers to get if you're to win the title? I don't think so. Let's see where they are in January.

I think United got themselves out of jail by scraping the 2 wins against Spurs and Sunderland. They could easily have dropped 4 points and if that had been the case it would have been very hard for them to recover. With Saha and Ronaldo back and Rooney only weeks away I think they'll be back to their best and will go on a good run over the next few months.

Chelsea have looked solid but I'm not sure if any of their summer signings have actually strengthened the side. They appear to be weaker than last season.

1. United
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool

Still sticking with that.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Sep 2007 20:13

You surprise me.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 04 Sep 2007 20:25

As I have said from the start:

Chelsea
Manchester
Liverpool
Arsenal

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Sep 2007 20:28

Katie,
Just look at who Man Utd have played.
Reading
Man City
Spurs
Pompey
Sunderland

Not the hardest start to a season and Fergie was bigging it up about how a fast start to the season is essential.
Liverpool have already played 2 clubs that will probably be in the top 6 in Villa and Chelsea so I for one am very pleased with the start that they have made.

As you know I believe Man Utd to be more of a one-man side with Ronaldo missing than Gerrard missing for Liverpool(probably the two best players in the country) and they have looked very ordinary without him and if he were to get injured it would be all up for them..
I think Man Utd will probably finish 4th or at best 3rd which is where the bookies now have them.
If I didn't want Liverpool to win it I would be backing Arsenal at 7/1 which strikes me as great value for a mainly young and improving side.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 04 Sep 2007 22:03

You're making a rod for your own back as usual Victor. It will be nice to quote that post later on in the season. Wait untill at least November/December before hyping up a side that finished 20 points off the pace last season.

To win the league you need wingers who will score plenty of goals. Liverpool don't have that. You also need a settled side and Benitez will constantly rotate. He's too negative away from home to be a success in this country.

United have made a decent start considering they've been without Rooney, Ronaldo and Saha. They scored almost 60 goals combined last season and it's no surprise they've struggled badly without them.

Let's resume this discussion when the season has got going properly.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Sep 2007 22:33

Did Chelsea's championship winning sides really enjoy lots of goals from wingers?

Good to see you are writing Babel, who is proving arguably Liverpool's best signing so far, and an improving Pennant already.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 04 Sep 2007 23:02

Hardly writing Babel off. He's a decent young player but hasn't he only started 2 league games against Sunderland and Derby? :? Bit early to judge him although his goal was class on Saturday.

As for Pennent :lol:

Chelsea had the likes of Robben and Joe Cole who weighed in with plenty of goals. They missed them last season when they were injured. Arsenal went downhill as soon as they lost the 20 goals a season Pires and Ljungberg provided.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2007 19:36

Arsenal still looking good to me. Magnificent win for them today.

The confidence is oozing out of them now and I suspect that has more than a little to do with Henry's departure.

Still looks like being a cracking Premiership this season.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 23 Sep 2007 11:47

Liverpool slipping up already due to Benitez and his ridiculous squad rotation. The good start they made is being wasted and he shows no signs of learning from his mistakes.

The title race will be between United and Arsenal after the Mourinho debacle. Arsenal will fade away when the going gets tough and just pip Liverpool to second.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Sep 2007 11:53

Katie Marsden Liverpool slipping up already due to Benitez and his ridiculous squad rotation. The good start they made is being wasted and he shows no signs of learning from his mistakes.

The title race will be between United and Arsenal after the Mourinho debacle. Arsenal will fade away when the going gets tough and just pip Liverpool to second.

Why does a poor home draw for Liverpool mean more than a poor home draw for United?

Agree though on squad rotation. Torres has now played barely an hour in the last two league games, and Liverpool haven't scored in two games. Not just a coincidence.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2007 11:56

Glad to see you're coming around. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be tipping Arsenal.

I agree with you on Benitez - he is chucking away a brilliant opportunity to actually win the PL by constant tinkering. I think he is vastly over-rated and still hasn't got a clue about the managing in the PL.

If they don't win it (or the consolation prize of the Champions League) this season then I don't think he'll be at Anfield next season. The sousers (let alone the owners) won't forgive him for blowing it again.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 23 Sep 2007 12:11

Royal Rother Glad to see you're coming around. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be tipping Arsenal.

I agree with you on Benitez - he is chucking away a brilliant opportunity to actually win the PL by constant tinkering. I think he is vastly over-rated and still hasn't got a clue about the managing in the PL.

If they don't win it (or the consolation prize of the Champions League) this season then I don't think he'll be at Anfield next season. The sousers (let alone the owners) won't forgive him for blowing it again.

No chance will Arsenal win it, not yet anyway. Not enough experience or steel when it counts. Hopefully they'll at least make a fight of it because I can see United walking away with it unless they do.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2007 12:15

Katie Marsden No chance will Arsenal win it...

Oooo, big words them!! :wink: We shall see....

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 23 Sep 2007 12:24

Even if they don't win it this year it's nice to see a side playing proper football. If Wenger stays they'll will it in a few years.

I noticed you raving on page 2 in this thread about Tevez and Van Persie and what a strike force that would be. Still feel the same about him now he's at United with Rooney and Ronaldo? :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2007 12:36

Oh yes, Tevez will do well, but I think Wenger decided against him because he found a similar player for less than half the price in da Silva.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2007 12:37

We don't have winters in this country anymore.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2007 13:55

Katie Marsden
Royal Rother Glad to see you're coming around. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be tipping Arsenal.

No chance will Arsenal win it, not yet anyway. Not enough experience or steel when it counts. Hopefully they'll at least make a fight of it because I can see United walking away with it unless they do.

You never win anything with kids.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Sep 2007 13:58

Indeed. Arsenal's team yesterday:

Subs

274 posts