The Non-league thread

691 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Non-league thread

by floyd__streete » 17 Apr 2008 21:59

Weston Super Mare 1-2 Maidenhead United in the 6 pointer at the bottom of the Conference South tonight. Maidenhead 4 points ahead of the drop zone now with 3 to play. 1 down at half time, Manny Williams on 79 and then Richard Pacquette (who scored at Anfield earlier this season for Havant) on 85 took the precious points back down the M4. Survival at this level will be a magnificent achievement for Berkshire's oldest senior football club.

Johnson,
Johnson Hippolyte

Hippolyte > Coppell 8)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Apr 2008 10:47

AthleticoSpizz .....and as an aside to you Non league afficionados :?:

why did FC United of Manchester play Lancaster City 3 times this season in the Unibond Division 1?.........first match 2-1 Lancaster at the Giant Axe, second match 2-2 at Gigg Lane, third match 5-2 to the Mancs just last weekend?????????? :?

Its a bit like the SPL - since its only an 18 team league they get a 2nd set of fixtures - don't know exactly how many extra games they get to play - I think its about 8 taking their season up to 42 matches.

The Isthmian/Ryman whatever league did a similar thingy once a few years back when they had a division of only 15 but its not generally been adopted 'locally'.

This season fr'instance in Wokkers league (Hellenic 1 East) they only play 32 league games.

I'll go and hang my anorak back up again now :oops:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2008 15:58

Thanx....thought it would be something like that (but came as a shock initially)

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 20 Apr 2008 16:45

Exeter back into the play-offs after a 2-0 win at Rushden!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Apr 2008 10:52

floyd__streete Weston Super Mare 1-2 Maidenhead United in the 6 pointer at the bottom of the Conference South tonight. Maidenhead 4 points ahead of the drop zone now with 3 to play. 1 down at half time, Manny Williams on 79 and then Richard Pacquette (who scored at Anfield earlier this season for Havant) on 85 took the precious points back down the M4. Survival at this level will be a magnificent achievement for Berkshire's oldest senior football club.

Johnson,
Johnson Hippolyte

Hippolyte > Coppell 8)

Maidenhead now safe after 3-0 win at Havant.

York Road is apprently currently the oldest football ground IN THE WORLD. Or something to that effect. Well at tleast thats according to some Dutch Bloke i spoke to there this season, who travelled there from Holland specifically for a Tuesday night game v Bromley :shock:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Apr 2008 11:04

floyd__streete Survival at this level will be a magnificent achievement for Berkshire's oldest senior football club.

Safe now after a stonking 3-0 win @ H&W (stopped them from reaching the Play Offs) and Weston-super-Mud lost again at home to Bromley - well done the Magpies! :)

Report from The Hawks own website:-

http://www.havantandwaterlooville.net/stats/report.asp?y=2007&m=1204

Glad to see there were some there:-

the final twenty minutes played out in a deathly silence, except for the joyous handful of Maidenhead supporters who knew that the victory would be enough to save their side from the drop.

In the same Division (Conference South) Bath City completely blew it, losing at home to relegated Sutton - looks like its between Eastleigh (who I think still have Andy Forbes up front - remember him?) Fisher and The Exiles for the last Play Off place.

[Anorak Mode = OFF] :wink:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Apr 2008 11:10

Tony Le Mesmer
floyd__streete Weston Super Mare 1-2 Maidenhead United in the 6 pointer at the bottom of the Conference South tonight. Maidenhead 4 points ahead of the drop zone now with 3 to play. 1 down at half time, Manny Williams on 79 and then Richard Pacquette (who scored at Anfield earlier this season for Havant) on 85 took the precious points back down the M4. Survival at this level will be a magnificent achievement for Berkshire's oldest senior football club.

Johnson,
Johnson Hippolyte

Hippolyte > Coppell 8)

Maidenhead now safe after 3-0 win at Havant.

York Road is apprently currently the oldest football ground IN THE WORLD. Or something to that effect. Well at tleast thats according to some Dutch Bloke i spoke to there this season, who travelled there from Holland specifically for a Tuesday night game v Bromley :shock:

Hallam FC in Sheffield is the oldest club in the world, I presume their ground is the oldest one?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Apr 2008 11:32

Alan Partridge Hallam FC in Sheffield is the oldest club in the world, I presume their ground is the oldest one?

According to the NL Directory - The Anorak's Bible - Hallam FC are the SECOND Oldest club in the World Founded 1860 ten years before Maidenhead.
Apparently Cray Wanderers were founded in 1860 too?

So who is the Oldest?

Cant be bothered to flick through 1100 odd pages to check. :oops:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Apr 2008 11:34

According to Wikepedia:

"The town's football team, Maidenhead United, play at York Road, which is the oldest football ground in the world continuously used by the same team."

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 21 Apr 2008 12:33

good for football in general to see (bar the betting thread) the "non league" topic being the most popular(with regard to contributions) on the forum! long may it last:)

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Apr 2008 12:59

Four Of Clubs
Alan Partridge Hallam FC in Sheffield is the oldest club in the world, I presume their ground is the oldest one?

According to the NL Directory - The Anorak's Bible - Hallam FC are the SECOND Oldest club in the World Founded 1860 ten years before Maidenhead.

So who is the Oldest?

There is also 1860 Munich. I presume thats when they were founded?

I thought Sheffield FC were founded in the 1850s

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 21 Apr 2008 13:54

Tony Le Mesmer
Four Of Clubs

So who is the Oldest?

1860 were founded as a sports club, but didn't take up football until much later.

Sheffield FC don't play at the same ground they played at when they formed, which appears to be the case for all the clubs older than Maidenhead. The holder of that "honour" used to be Northwich Victoria, but they moved out of their old ground a couple of years ago.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Apr 2008 14:03

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, Sheffield FC are indeed recognized as the OLDEST club still in existence with Cray Wanderers possibly pre-dating Hallam - so I'm not sure why they aren't credited with 2nd place.

Maybe the timeline is in alphabetical order at that point?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Apr 2008 14:50

Four Of Clubs Looking at the Wikipedia entry, Sheffield FC are indeed recognized as the OLDEST club still in existence with Cray Wanderers possibly pre-dating Hallam - so I'm not sure why they aren't credited with 2nd place.

Maybe the timeline is in alphabetical order at that point?

Maybe it's Hallam's ground which is the oldest then, they definitely have the oldest 'something'! :lol:

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 21 Apr 2008 15:16

WSM 0 Brommers 1, there is a still a glimmer of hope for the play offs.

SUPER SI.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Apr 2008 18:22

Alan Partridge Maybe it's Hallam's ground which is the oldest then, they definitely have the oldest 'something'! :lol:

That's most probably it - They've played @ their ground (Sandygate) for 148 years.

...... Unless its the pies ! :shock:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.... hmm just spotted on the Cray W. site they are claiming to be :-

THE SECOND-OLDEST ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD

... but their original ground is now a Cemetery - and (just to bring an air
of co-incidence into the post)
they currently play (groundshare) @ Bromley. :wink:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Apr 2008 23:57

Torquay, Cambridge, Exeter and Burton in the play-offs. Torquay definitely 3rd.

Burton-Exeter on the final day. Exeter need to avoid defeat and they avoid Torquay in the semis.

:? Maths is my strong point then, could have sworn Torquay were 4 points clear with one game to go...

Exeter-Torqay and Cambridge-Burton in the PO's
Last edited by The whole year inn on 27 Apr 2008 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Apr 2008 00:19

Tony Le Mesmer

1860 were founded as a sports club, but didn't take up football until much later.

Sheffield FC don't play at the same ground they played at when they formed, which appears to be the case for all the clubs older than Maidenhead. The holder of that "honour" used to be Northwich Victoria, but they moved out of their old ground a couple of years ago.

There was a big push to forming sporting and gymnastic clubs in Germany in the mid 19th Century, hence you also have Ulm 1846 and Vfl Bochum 1848. None of them took up football until the 1870's. The oldest club exclusively for football in Germany was formed in 1874. Football in Germany didn't turn professional until 1963.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 24 Apr 2008 05:25

From Despair To Where?
Tony Le Mesmer

There was a big push to forming sporting and gymnastic clubs in Germany in the mid 19th Century, hence you also have Ulm 1846 and Vfl Bochum 1848. None of them took up football until the 1870's. The oldest club exclusively for football in Germany was formed in 1874. Football in Germany didn't turn professional until 1963.

so beating the germans in the '66 final was no big deal then:)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Apr 2008 19:25

frimleygreen_shotspur
From Despair To Where?

so beating the germans in the '66 final was no big deal then:)

But the Germans beating the Hungarians in 1954 was. They were amateurs in the same way that Carl Lewis was an amateur. German football turned professional in the same way the English football did. It was becoming too difficult to police the expenses payments that players were allowed. Also any Germans who played professionally abroad were banned from representing their country. It made sense to turn professional with the creation of the Bundesliga.

691 posts