The Non-league thread

691 posts
earleyroyal

Re: The Non-league thread

by earleyroyal » 05 May 2008 21:46

Alan Partridge AFC Wimbledon promoted to Blue Sq South. Excellent news. 8)

Could be above MK Dons in two seasons! Probably incredibly unlikely but the day they do go above that club every true football fan will celebrate.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 May 2008 01:10

Well what can i say about today's game? Still shocked at what i saw, 3-1 up overall absolutely crusing home, Rayner didn't have a meaningful save to make, happy days then in 18 mad minutes, 46 league games worth of work is tossed away in one of the most spectacular blow ups I've ever seen. The penalty I felt at the time was dubious, and that just totally knocked us over, the 3rd and 4th goals were just comical defending and so late one it's hard to take.

You need a bit of luck to win playoffs, Exeter got that today and I wish them well in the final. They are a good club, got excellent support for that level and they play a style of football that is pleasing on the eye, especially for that level.

Got the Trophy final next week but ultimately I couldn't give a shit about it now, be like winning a plate tournament once you've gone out of the main thing. The thought of going to some of those utter shitholes again next season is the most disappointing thing, not only that but once again it will be very hard to get out of, if you don't bounce back straight away you seem to get stuck in the division.

This is shaping up to be possibly the worst/most disappointing season I've had following football, next week could top it all off, Ebbsfleet turn Torquay over on the saturday, Reading relegated on the Sunday, can't wait.

It wasn't meant to be today/this season but we'll be back....someday.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 May 2008 01:53

Torquay'a :lol:

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 06 May 2008 08:24

Alan Partridge Well what can i say about today's game? Still shocked at what i saw, 3-1 up overall absolutely crusing home, Rayner didn't have a meaningful save to make, happy days then in 18 mad minutes, 46 league games worth of work is tossed away in one of the most spectacular blow ups I've ever seen. The penalty I felt at the time was dubious, and that just totally knocked us over, the 3rd and 4th goals were just comical defending and so late one it's hard to take.

You need a bit of luck to win playoffs, Exeter got that today and I wish them well in the final. They are a good club, got excellent support for that level and they play a style of football that is pleasing on the eye, especially for that level.

Got the Trophy final next week but ultimately I couldn't give a shit about it now, be like winning a plate tournament once you've gone out of the main thing. The thought of going to some of those utter shitholes again next season is the most disappointing thing, not only that but once again it will be very hard to get out of, if you don't bounce back straight away you seem to get stuck in the division.

This is shaping up to be possibly the worst/most disappointing season I've had following football, next week could top it all off, Ebbsfleet turn Torquay over on the saturday, Reading relegated on the Sunday, can't wait.

It wasn't meant to be today/this season but we'll be back....someday.

the above amplifies my long held belief that "play offs" in the conference are unfair,bordering on the ludicrous.everybody knows the rules before a ball is kicked...but just one promotion spot is surely wrong...let us have three up three down..

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 06 May 2008 08:44

Not sure what bearing that would have had on Torquay seeing that Cambridge United would already be in League 2 seeing as they finished second in the league...

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 06 May 2008 08:50

T.R.O.L.I. Not sure what bearing that would have had on Torquay seeing that Cambridge United would already be in League 2 seeing as they finished second in the league...

who mentioned torquay?

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2008 09:11

3 promotions in a row for FC, anyone know what the record is?

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 06 May 2008 09:17

TheMaraudingDog 3 promotions in a row for FC, anyone know what the record is?

a stuck one?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 06 May 2008 09:29

T.R.O.L.I. Not sure what bearing that would have had on Torquay seeing that Cambridge United would already be in League 2 seeing as they finished second in the league...

That only happened because Torquay rotated their squad for the last 4 or 5 games once they playoff spot was confirmed, if it mattered then we would have finished 2nd. But anyway I agree with frimmers, but we all knew the rules at the start of the season, we should have seen it through but didn't, that's the playoffs, that's life!

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 06 May 2008 10:24

at last Oxford has a team to be proud of

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 May 2008 23:19

Exeter-Cambridge final

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 07 May 2008 01:17

The whole year inn Exeter-Cambridge final

That'll be a decent game, wouldn't mind seeing Cambridge go up for Quinny being the manager there. Both good clubs that would be welcome in the league so don't really mind.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 07 May 2008 10:22

Super Manny Williams, leaves Maidenhead for Woking :cry:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 07 May 2008 10:31

Alan Partridge Both good clubs that would be welcome in the league so don't really mind.

'greed.

Both excellent clubs and well up there on my list of all-time favourite away trips. Will be thrilled to see either of them back in the league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 May 2008 15:00

Conference South PO Final Eastbourne B v Hampton & Richmond is Live on Setanta Sports on Thursday with the North final, Barrow V Stalybridge on Live Friday night.

The lowest ever game in the pyramid shown live?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 May 2008 15:10

Stranded Conference South PO Final Eastbourne B v Hampton & Richmond is Live on Setanta Sports on Thursday with the North final, Barrow V Stalybridge on Live Friday night.

No - some of the matches in FCUM's league have been shown live - but only locally. So probably the lowest pyramid game shown nationally.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 07 May 2008 15:20

Will be snapping up my Exeter ticket for the play off final in the next hour or so :)

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 May 2008 15:32

Stranded Conference South PO Final Eastbourne B v Hampton & Richmond is Live on Setanta Sports on Thursday with the North final, Barrow V Stalybridge on Live Friday night.

With any luck I'll be there on Thursday, forever on the Beavers bandwagon. I've even got a club pin badge and comb to prove it

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 May 2008 15:36

Huntley & Palmer

With any luck I'll be there on Thursday, forever on the Beavers bandwagon. I've even got a club pin badge and comb to prove it

H&R give out Beaver combs? :shock:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 May 2008 16:15

Yes indeed, their merchandising shed puts our club to shame

691 posts