European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

5252 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Apr 2021 18:22

Sanguine Top four in Ligue 1 separated by just three points, with five games left. Lyon arguably have the hardest run-in, they host Lille next week and then go to Monaco, but otherwise that top four don't play each other again.

This led me down a rabbit hole, where I ended up looking at who had won Ligue 1 the most times. You'll never guess who it was! No cheating lol x

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Apr 2021 19:27

Pepe the Horseman
Sanguine Top four in Ligue 1 separated by just three points, with five games left. Lyon arguably have the hardest run-in, they host Lille next week and then go to Monaco, but otherwise that top four don't play each other again.

This led me down a rabbit hole, where I ended up looking at who had won Ligue 1 the most times. You'll never guess who it was! No cheating lol x

St Etienne, Marseille or PSG

What happened to St Etienne they absolutely bossed French Football in the '60/70s

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Apr 2021 19:52

BR0B0T
Pepe the Horseman

What happened to St Etienne they absolutely bossed French Football in the '60/70s

St Etienne. I had no idea they used to be decent.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Apr 2021 20:28

Pepe the Horseman
BR0B0T
Pepe the Horseman This led me down a rabbit hole, where I ended up looking at who had won Ligue 1 the most times. You'll never guess who it was! No cheating lol x

Only know about them because they played against Liverpool in Europe (and the band)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Apr 2021 09:38

The 1 horse race in la Liga which then became a 3 horse race has now become a 4 horse race with Sevilla's great form and win last night.

5 points now separate the top 4 clubs, with Atletico and Barca both playing tonight

Still games to be played between those top 4 too

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 22 Apr 2021 12:46

BR0B0T
Pepe the Horseman
BR0B0T

Only know about them because they played against Liverpool in Europe (and the band)

They totally outplayed Bayern in the 76 European Cup final at Hampden, but somewhow contrived to lose. Gave the woodwork a good hammering and blamed the square goalposts - "les poteaux carrés" - for shots not rebounding in. What a team they were. Michel Platini was also in their ranks in the late 70s/early 80s, but they never matched that 76 team. Allez les verts.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 08:17

Bordeaux heading into administration. U.S owners have basically announced that they are no longer willing to put any money in to finance the club.

As mentioned before, the French league has been heading for big problems anyway as their tv deal went bust and clubs lost millions of promised money.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 08:49

Schalke relagated

Hertha & Koln both on 26 points above that with only 2 places for direct relegation in the Bundesliga, 3rd bottom goes into a play off

4 games left for Koln, penultimate game of the season is Hertha Vs Koln :o

(Hertha have 6 games left so it may be wrapped up by then)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 08:54

4 games left for Frosinone, who are 1 place outside the relegation zone in Serie B. If they win those 4 games they could be in the promotion play offs. What a division!

I need to dig out my old post on the Serie B play offs as they are beautifully complex and they don't know how many teams will take part until the season is finished

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 10:13

Winston Biscuit Schalke relagated

Hertha & Koln both on 26 points above that with only 2 places for direct relegation in the Bundesliga, 3rd bottom goes into a play off

This is pretty big news isn't it? I know they've been shit in the last few years, but would it be comparable to say Arsenal getting relegated?

EDIT

Just seen they haven't won the Bundesliga since the 50s, so more like Spurs?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Apr 2021 10:20

Pepe the Horseman

This is pretty big news isn't it? I know they've been shit in the last few years, but would it be comparable to say Arsenal getting relegated?

EDIT

They were the Bayern Munich of the old German football world.

I listened to a German football journalist a while back who said Schalke dropping out the top division is causing real concerns as they are considered to be the 2nd biggest supported clubs over there and the tv companies are not happy as Schalke games get some of the highest viewing figures. It has actually lead to meetings between the broadcasters and German FA.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 10:24

Pepe the Horseman

EDIT

Yeah, probably more similar to Spurs going down. They have generally finished in the top 8 more years that not but over the past few years they have been getting steadily worse. With Hamburg looking to screw up promotion again - Hamburg v Schalke could potentially be the biggest 2. Bundesliga game of all time.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 10:24

Winston Biscuit
Pepe the Horseman

EDIT

They were the Bayern Munich of the old German football world.

I listened to a German football journalist a while back who said Schalke dropping out the top division is causing real concerns as they are considered to be the 2nd biggest supported clubs over there and the tv companies are not happy as Schalke games get some of the highest viewing figures. It has actually lead to meetings between the broadcasters and German FA.

Jeez, this is why the ESL was such a good idea.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 10:27

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman

EDIT

Yeah, probably more similar to Spurs going down. They have generally finished in the top 8 more years that not but over the past few years they have been getting steadily worse. With Hamburg looking to screw up promotion again - Hamburg v Schalke could potentially be the biggest 2. Bundesliga game of all time.

Is this a bigger deal than Hamburg going down? Or on a par? Where did it all go wrong for both of them?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2021 10:32

Pepe the Horseman
Stranded
Pepe the Horseman This is pretty big news isn't it? I know they've been shit in the last few years, but would it be comparable to say Arsenal getting relegated?

EDIT

Is this a bigger deal than Hamburg going down? Or on a par? Where did it all go wrong for both of them?

Hamburg going down was massive. 6 time BL champions and European champions who had never been relegated from the top flight since the BL was formed in the 60s. Schalke have dropped out of the top flight a couple of time buts not since the late 80s.

So yeah, Schalke going is a big deal (but seems less so as it is has been nailed on since October) but Hamburg was much bigger. A lot of people were very happy that they had to finally stop the clock in their stadium*

*for those who don't know, they had a stadium clock that counted how long they had been in the top flight. It was stopped the moment they were relegated.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2021 11:01

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
Stranded

Hamburg going down was massive. 6 time BL champions and European champions who had never been relegated from the top flight since the BL was formed in the 60s. Schalke have dropped out of the top flight a couple of time buts not since the late 80s.

So yeah, Schalke going is a big deal (but seems less so as it is has been nailed on since October) but Hamburg was much bigger. A lot of people were very happy that they had to finally stop the clock in their stadium*

*for those who don't know, they had a stadium clock that counted how long they had been in the top flight. It was stopped the moment they were relegated.

Ah yeh, I remember now. I hope they start it again when they go back up.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Apr 2021 11:05

Winston Biscuit 4 games left for Frosinone, who are 1 place outside the relegation zone in Serie B. If they win those 4 games they could be in the promotion play offs. What a division!

I need to dig out my old post on the Serie B play offs as they are beautifully complex and they don't know how many teams will take part until the season is finished

CSB - Went to Frosinone for work stuff last year in the COVID lull

It's a shithole

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Apr 2021 20:17

Dortmunds race for CL qualification looks back on. Great run from them along with Eintracht Frankfurt losing 2 of the last 3 and Dortmund are only 1 point off 4th now

Dortmund have a tough run in though while Frankfurts looks easier

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Apr 2021 20:59

psg top booooooooooooo

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Apr 2021 21:39

Simmops psg top booooooooooooo

Because they played before the rest of the top 4 teams. The others play tomorrow.

5252 posts