Jeering the French anthem

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Jeering the French anthem

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Oct 2008 17:59

I've just spotted this little article http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 671299.stm

BBC Sport France make anthem threat to fans

Football matches in France will be called off immediately if spectators jeer during the French national anthem, says the country's sports minister.

France's national anthem was booed in Tuesday's friendly win over Tunisia.

"Any match at which our national anthem is whistled at will be immediately stopped," said Roselyne Bachelot.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said the booing was "insulting" and that in the event of a repeat it would be necessary "to call off matches".

"It's insulting for France, it's insulting for the players of the French team, it should not be tolerated," he added.

"I think we should stop the matches when the anthems, whichever they are, are booed."

Two goals from Thierry Henry gave France coach Raymond Domenech a much needed boost in cementing a 3-1 win in Paris. When whistling of our antional anthem happens, all friendly games with the country concerned will be suspended for a period yet to be determined by the federation president

But the booing and whistling by some in the crowd - many of them Tunisian - as the French anthem was played infuriated France's political establishment.

President Nicolas Sarkozy has demanded an investigation into the matter.

President Sarkozy's aides said he had summoned French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes following the "scandalous incidents which occurred at the Stade de France".

Bachelot added: "Government members will immediately leave the arena where our national anthem has been whistled.

"When whistling of our national anthem happens, all friendly games with the country concerned will be suspended for a period yet to be determined by the federation president."

Sports Minister Bernard Laporte has suggested that France no longer play friendlies against Maghreb region countries.

There have been similar problems in recent years in matches against Algeria and Morocco.

Friendlies against North African sides traditionally attract widespread support from sizeable immigrant communities in and around the French capital.

Some booed when the names of the French players were read out over the PA system before kickoff, reaching a crescendo for Hatem Ben Arfa, born in France to Tunisian parents.

Arfa opted to play for the country of his birth despite overtures from the Tunisian Federation.

"I'm not really angry with them," said Ben Arfa. "It's a bit of a shame but it's not a major problem. They need to exist, you have to understand them."

Oh diddums, their immigrants don't like them! And they don't like it at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

Re: Jeering the French anthem

by wolsey » 15 Oct 2008 18:06

SpaceCruiser I've just spotted this little article http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 671299.stm

BBC Sport France make anthem threat to fans

Football matches in France will be called off immediately if spectators jeer during the French national anthem, says the country's sports minister.

France's national anthem was booed in Tuesday's friendly win over Tunisia.

"Any match at which our national anthem is whistled at will be immediately stopped," said Roselyne Bachelot.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said the booing was "insulting" and that in the event of a repeat it would be necessary "to call off matches".

"It's insulting for France, it's insulting for the players of the French team, it should not be tolerated," he added.

"I think we should stop the matches when the anthems, whichever they are, are booed."

Two goals from Thierry Henry gave France coach Raymond Domenech a much needed boost in cementing a 3-1 win in Paris. When whistling of our antional anthem happens, all friendly games with the country concerned will be suspended for a period yet to be determined by the federation president

But the booing and whistling by some in the crowd - many of them Tunisian - as the French anthem was played infuriated France's political establishment.

President Nicolas Sarkozy has demanded an investigation into the matter.

President Sarkozy's aides said he had summoned French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes following the "scandalous incidents which occurred at the Stade de France".

Bachelot added: "Government members will immediately leave the arena where our national anthem has been whistled.

"When whistling of our national anthem happens, all friendly games with the country concerned will be suspended for a period yet to be determined by the federation president."

Sports Minister Bernard Laporte has suggested that France no longer play friendlies against Maghreb region countries.

There have been similar problems in recent years in matches against Algeria and Morocco.

Friendlies against North African sides traditionally attract widespread support from sizeable immigrant communities in and around the French capital.

Some booed when the names of the French players were read out over the PA system before kickoff, reaching a crescendo for Hatem Ben Arfa, born in France to Tunisian parents.

Arfa opted to play for the country of his birth despite overtures from the Tunisian Federation.

"I'm not really angry with them," said Ben Arfa. "It's a bit of a shame but it's not a major problem. They need to exist, you have to understand them."

Oh diddums, their immigrants don't like them! And they don't like it at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I really don't like making judgments on people I have never met (or hopefully likely to meet) but you really are a cretin.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 15 Oct 2008 18:07

Spacey you really are a sad obsessed pathetic little pcunt.

grow up shitface.

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Oct 2008 18:08

wolsey
Sorry, I really don't like making judgments on people I have never met (or hopefully likely to meet) but you really are a cretin.

:D My first ever............... +1

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Oct 2008 18:15

Spacey, if a similar thing happened at Wembley with people booing the English anthem, I trust you would find it equally funny.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 Oct 2008 18:59

From Despair To Where? Spacey, if a similar thing happened at Wembley with people booing the English anthem, I trust you would find it equally funny.

To be fair, would it bother you if someone booed ours? It'd just make me sing louder, then torment them throughout the 90 minutes by more than outsinging them all game.

The French are just begging to have their anthem booed now though! 8)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Oct 2008 19:50

I'm not English so that's a moot point but I find the booing of any national anthem somewhat disrespectful. Nationality is purely a quirk of birth.

I get the feeling that the type of England fan who boos other national anthems or takes pleasure in the booing of other anthems is just the type to get all indignant should someone else dare to boo the English anthem, so yes, the sensible option would be to just try outsinging them and drown them out.

However, with regard to the French, there is a lot of history between mainland France and their former North Aftican departments so there is an underlying reason for the booing not that that's justification for the verbal continuation of a political conflict that ended 40 years ago. Seems that Hatem Ben Arfa is the only one to come out of the whole thing with any credit or sense of perspective.

'Av Some Of That!

by 'Av Some Of That! » 15 Oct 2008 20:35

It is the referees decision to call off a football match, not that pcunt of a prime minister.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 15 Oct 2008 20:38

Booing > jeering

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Oct 2008 20:41

From Despair To Where? I'm not English so that's a moot point but I find the booing of any national anthem somewhat disrespectful. Nationality is purely a quirk of birth.

I get the feeling that the type of England fan who boos other national anthems or takes pleasure in the booing of other anthems is just the type to get all indignant should someone else dare to boo the English anthem, so yes, the sensible option would be to just try outsinging them and drown them out.

However, with regard to the French, there is a lot of history between mainland France and their former North Aftican departments so there is an underlying reason for the booing not that that's justification for the verbal continuation of a political conflict that ended 40 years ago. Seems that Hatem Ben Arfa is the only one to come out of the whole thing with any credit or sense of perspective.

Well said - but unfortunately probably lost on those hard of understanding.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 15 Oct 2008 21:38

Tunisia was ruled by the French until the mid '50's and there is still a fair bit of animocity there. It's the equivalent of the Irish booing the our National Anthem. What would we do about it? Probably pump vast sums of tax payers money into their patron saint day celebration.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 16 Oct 2008 09:13

just to be clear, these were not "away" fans. They were locals, born in France, but to immigrant parents. I suppose the equivalent would be UK citizens of Pakistani and Indian origin supporting "their" cricket team v England. And that-even without booing England- really got on the tits of Norman Tebbit (and no doubt Little Englanders everywhere), as many of you on here will remember.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 Oct 2008 09:41

The Welsh would boo 'our' National Anthem when we play them. Wouldn't expect anything less to be honest.

Its easy to get our own back though. We just need to remind them where they live.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Oct 2008 09:44

Why on earth they have to play national anthems before internationals in the first place is beyond me, esp. as the English don't have a national anthem and end up having use that awful dirge that's passes as the British national anthem.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 16 Oct 2008 10:16

Racism is very much a part of the French way of life. Much of this racism is directed at those people of African heritage. This racism takes the form of not being able to get decent housing or jobs. As was said above many of the Tunisian supporters were born in France, or have lived there a long time. Many of them will have suffered racist abuse at the hands of their countrymen. The jeering of the French national anthem isa very small way they can have a go back. If the Irish, Welsh or Scots boo the British nationalanthem, well let them it's sort of expected and has no effect on our national pride, it might even fire the team up a bit.

Jinx

by Jinx » 16 Oct 2008 18:04

Hampshire Royal Stupidity is very much a part of a weatherman's way of life. Much of this stupidity is directed at those people of French heritage. This stupidity takes the form of not being able to relate to normal human beings. As was said above many of the weathermen were born in France, or have lived there a long time. Many of them will have suffered moronic abuse at the hands of their countrymen. The jeering of the French national anthem is a very small way they can have a go back and make themselves feel big again.

Hear hear

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 16 Oct 2008 18:06

:lol:

That's really lame.

Jinx

by Jinx » 16 Oct 2008 18:37

Really?

I thought it was on a par with most of your efforts

Oh well, c'est la vie

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Oct 2008 14:40

Booing other peoples anthems is pathetic at best, especially if you are a resident of that country. This is one of the problems with a multi-cultural society, you let them in and give them a better life and they still insult you. If we were playing pakistan here, you can bet they'd boo our anthem despite 90% of them living here.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Oct 2008 14:42

FiNeRaIn Booing other peoples anthems is pathetic at best, especially if you are a resident of that country. This is one of the problems with a multi-cultural society, you let them in and give them a better life and they still insult you. If we were playing pakistan here, you can bet they'd boo our anthem despite 90% of them living here.

Oh deary me.