LOL @ Oxford Utd - AGAIN....

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

LOL @ Oxford Utd - AGAIN....

by Big Foot » 11 Jan 2009 22:17

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 818952.stm

Oxford United could face a points deduction after being charged by the Football Conference for fielding an unregistered player.

BBC Oxford understands the charge relates to the registration of midfielder Eddie Hutchinson.

The club has issued a statement denying the charge and a hearing is set for Monday in Birmingham.

Oxford chairman Kelvin Thomas said: "We are glad to have the chance to talk to the Conference at a personal hearing."

Even though Hutchinson, 26, has been an Oxford player since July 2006, clubs are obliged to re-register players at the start of every campaign. 606: DEBATE
What could this mean for Oxford's season?

United gained 11 points from matches in which he played before the problem came to light in November.

In October Mansfield had four points docked for a similar offence.

A points deduction would almost certainly mean the end of United's fading play-off hopes.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: LOL @ Oxford Utd - AGAIN....

by papereyes » 11 Jan 2009 22:56

I almost feel sorry for Oxford. At a time when they could have pushed on a level and really used their new stadium, they plummeted down the divisions.

There's little difference in potential between them and us and I can't help but feel that had we had a Kassam and not a Madejski, we'd be in exactly the same place. What Madejski realised was that there's no point in having the complex without the investment in the side.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Jan 2009 23:51

This is in the non-league thread, but it's such a LOL that a new thread is more than worthwhile. :lol:

I couldn't feel sorry for them. Not after the few occasions I witnessed kids being thrown to the ground and an old man elbowed in the head, them idiots storming their own pub before the game because there were a few of us Reading fans in there, and then more trouble that day. Stewards were loving it too, very heavy handed indeed, and the police stood back as much as they could.

Not forgetting even worse behavior on two visits to the Manor Ground.

I know it's not all fans, it's a minority, but they're a club I detest. Horrible set of bastards.

Long may they rot in the Conference!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 12 Jan 2009 00:17

papereyes I almost feel sorry for Oxford. At a time when they could have pushed on a level and really used their new stadium, they plummeted down the divisions.

There's little difference in potential between them and us and I can't help but feel that had we had a Kassam and not a Madejski, we'd be in exactly the same place. What Madejski realised was that there's no point in having the complex without the investment in the side.

Absolutely true, although in 1998 I was frutstrated with Mr Mad for that reason. At the time, I thought it was absurd that he wasn't willing to free up cash for the team to keep us in Division 1, as I thought it would have been much more beneficial to be in that division just as we moved to the big, shiny stadium. In the short term that might have been true, although in hindsight I suspect it was actually better that we were able to build momentum slowly from Division 2.

Whistle

by Whistle » 12 Jan 2009 10:36

Club verdict on Tommy Burns - cost £10 mill and set us back 5 years.

Don't think 4 yrs in the Third was part of the new stadium masterplan.

As for Oxf*rd - I didn't realise they had play-off hopes. I thought they were almost in administration.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 12 Jan 2009 10:40

Whistle Club verdict on Tommy Burns - cost £10 mill and set us back 5 years.

Ten Million??? Are you sure?

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 12 Jan 2009 13:05

Thaumagurist*
Whistle Club verdict on Tommy Burns - cost £10 mill and set us back 5 years.

Ten Million??? Are you sure?

It depends how you look at it I guess. If the view is that he cost us five years worth of progress then that might be an accurate figure.
Last edited by Thomas L'Heureux on 12 Jan 2009 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 12 Jan 2009 13:07

Whistle As for Oxf*rd - I didn't realise they had play-off hopes. I thought they were almost in administration.

Their hopes are thin, very thin, and will be dashed if a points deduction is placed on them. Hopefully a big one.

There is still a lot of rumours about how close they are to administration. The chairman denies it, but the rumours wont go way.

Here's hoping.

They're also desperate to buy the Kassam Stadium off of Kassam. The rent is apparently very high and almost killing the club apparently. But it's rumoured Kassam wants silly money for the stadium, and the current situation grows yet more desperate!
Last edited by Deathy on 12 Jan 2009 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Jan 2009 13:10

Maxwell won't save them :lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 12 Jan 2009 13:13

Perhaps they can merge with Didcot Town and become a super club in a super stadium. One with four stands.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Jan 2009 15:31

Deathy Their hopes are thin, very thin, and will be dashed if a points deduction is placed on them. Hopefully a big one.

If they won 11 points when fielding an ineligible player then the should be fined 11 points which would drop them down to 25 points, 3 from bottom, and therefore into a battle against relegation.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Jan 2009 15:55

Apparently this has appeared on the OUFC website today

Club fined £500 and deducted five points

At a meeting today the club put their case to the Football Conference Disciplinary Panel in Birmingham

The club was represented by Chairman Kelvin Thomas, General Manager Mick Brown and Graham Bean of Football Factors, with the initial hearing lasting two hours.

Kelvin Thomas told us: "We defended our case. However the decision by the Football Conference Panel was a fine of £500, with a further fine of £3,500 suspended until May 2010, and a five point deduction.

"We are deeply disappointed with the penalty imposed and feel there are major issues surrounding the administrative procedures of the league which must be addressed.

"A decision to appeal will be made within the fourteen day time frame allowed, once we have considered the full written reasons of the panel."

..... only drops 'em down three places! :roll:

The basis of appeal seems to be that it was an FA pen-pusher that loused up. :P

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 12 Jan 2009 17:07

Better than nothing I suppose.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 12 Jan 2009 17:14

Four Of Clubs Apparently this has appeared on the OUFC website today

Club fined £500 and deducted five points

At a meeting today the club put their case to the Football Conference Disciplinary Panel in Birmingham

The club was represented by Chairman Kelvin Thomas, General Manager Mick Brown and Graham Bean of Football Factors, with the initial hearing lasting two hours.

Kelvin Thomas told us: "We defended our case. However the decision by the Football Conference Panel was a fine of £500, with a further fine of £3,500 suspended until May 2010, and a five point deduction.

"We are deeply disappointed with the penalty imposed and feel there are major issues surrounding the administrative procedures of the league which must be addressed.

"A decision to appeal will be made within the fourteen day time frame allowed, once we have considered the full written reasons of the panel."

..... only drops 'em down three places! :roll:

The basis of appeal seems to be that it was an FA pen-pusher that loused up. :P

Why do you say "Apparently" :?:

Did they take it off their website?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 12 Jan 2009 17:16

StiLOLOL, if it means they're the Chelsea of the Conference for another year, woohoo. :lol:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Jan 2009 17:32

Why do you say "Apparently" :?:

Did they take it off their website?

... didn't mean to confuse - I said 'apparently' cos I couldn't be @rsed/bring myself to actually log on to P@xford's site to check. :twisted:

It was from a fairly reliable source who posts on the NL Forum - no-one there can quite work out the basis for 5 point deduction - Crawley got 4 at a hearing this AM - for an almost identical transgression, Mansfield also got 4 earlier this season - not sure if that offence was of a similar type.
Some OUFC fans on there seem relieved it wasn't more - i.e. could have been as many as 11.
Presumably the FA haven't stung 'em for the full 11 cos they feel in some way liable themselves? These leaves the door wide open for appeal - shirley? :roll:
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 12 Jan 2009 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Jan 2009 18:30

Oxford fined £500 and sent into administration
That's more like it :lol:

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 12 Jan 2009 19:48

LOL.

Oxford's going down with a fiver in the bank....

:lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 12 Jan 2009 19:55

Looking at their league table on their OS, I'm assuming this is pre-points deduction, but they are 9 off the play-offs. With the deduction, they are 5 off relegation. :lol:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Jan 2009 20:14

Football Conference Premier
Pos Team.............. P. W D L . F - A GD Pts
14 Oxford United (-5) 26 10 6 10 38 36 2 31

... this is 'post-deduction' - leaves them 12 points from Cambridge Utd in 5th (last play off place) and only 5 points above the top two relegation spots currently held by Woking and Forest Green.

Next CONF league match @ the Kassam this Sat vs Altrincham.

They've got York City at home tomorrow night in the FA Trophy - postponed from Sat's big freeze.