Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Promotion/Relegation Watch

by Platypuss » 29 Apr 2009 20:45

Arch
Platypuss
Arch Short version:

Woking relegated

Oxford Utd still alive, and ashamed as I am to admit it, I find myself rooting for them. If its the pox or Histon in the FL, I'd choose the former. Call me a traditionalist.

I'm a traditionalist too - I'm quite happy with Oxford returning to their Headington United roots.
I'd say it's my traditions I care about, not some poxy club's. I always like to see the clubs back in the league who were there when I was a kid. So come on Barrow next year, and up the league ladder Southport.

You mean Oxford weren't Headington United when you were a kid? :wink:

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 01 May 2009 14:33

Final weekend preview --Saturday

League One
Scunny a thumping home win over relegated Cheltenham in their midweek match in hand to move two points clear of Tranmere, whom they host on Saturday with the prize of a berth in the playoffs on offer.

With Leicester promoted as champions and Peterborough joining them as runners up, it's all about the final order of finish and playoff matchups. MKD won their own match in hand in midweek, beating Northampton away to move into third ahead of Millwall, with the latter a point better than Leeds in fourth. As it stands:

3) MKD..........84/+35/Hereford (A)
4) Millwall.......82/+12/Carlisle (A)
5) Leeds.........81/+25/Northampton (H)
6) Scunny.......75/+19/Tranmere (H)
7) Tranmere....73/+13/Scunny (A)

At the bottom, Cheltenham and Hereford are down. Stockport have been hit with a 10-point deduction for entering administration and thereby pulled down into the shark tank, but their current points tally and positive goal difference all but assures their safety for the time being.

Hartlepool, Northampton, Brighton, Carlisle, Crewe remain under more serious threat, with the latter tandem now sat in the relegation places. Northampton could have made themselves safe with a result at home in their midweek match in hand with MKD but lost. How it looks:

17) Stockport.......50/+3/Brighton (A)
18) Hartlepool......50/-10/Bristol Rovers (A)
19) Northampton...49/-1/Leeds (A)
20) Brighton........49/-16/Stockport (H)
21) Carlisle.........47/-15/Millwall (H)
22) Crewe..........46/-20/Leicester (H)

League Two
With Brentford promoted as champions, the other two automatic promotion spots remain to be settled; the order of finish of those in the playoffs will be resolved, and there's the matter of which of Dag & Red or Shrewsbury claims the sole remaining playoff spot on offer. For the two automatic promotion places:

2) Wycombe.....78/+22/Notts County (H)
3) Exeter.........76/+14/Rotherham (A)
4) Bury...........75/+19/Accrington (H)

For the playoff placings, the situation in League Two mirrors that seen a level up as Dag & Red square off with Shrewsbury on the final day for the last available playoff spot. Gillingham and Rochdale, safely in the playoff field, also are paired up, and here's where they all stand:

5) Gillingham....72/+2/Rochdale (A)
6) Rochdale......70/+12/Gillingham (H)
7) Dag & Red....68/+25/Shrewsbury (H)
8) Shrewsbury...66/+16/Dag & Red (A)

At the bottom, Luton are relegated, and for Chester to remain in the Football League, they must win as Grimsby lose, and then there's the small matter of overhauling a goal difference deficit of 19 in the transaction.

As for the Championship, well, we all kinda know what's up there. Meantime, let the good times roll.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 May 2009 16:48

Exeter on the verge of promotion to league 1...up the grecians.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 02 May 2009 16:58

rg6royal Exeter on the verge of promotion to league 1...up the grecians.

Wycombe are promoted too...

Millwall v Leeds in the play-offs will be interesting on and off the pitch!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 May 2009 17:00

get in back to back promotions for exeter

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 02 May 2009 17:09

Tranmere oh dear...had sixth place in their hands and then a man sent off for a second booking, and Scunny score from the resultant freekick, hold on for the 1-all draw and take sixth in League One and a playoff semifinal matchup with MKD

Northampton oh dear...losers 2-0 away to Leeds as Carlisle beat Millwall by the same score at home to save themselves and, with Brighton winning 1-0 away to Stockport, send Northampton down to League Two with Crewe; Leeds and Millwall swap positions and end up in fourth and fifth, respectively, as they prepare to meet over two legs in the playoff semifinals

Dagenham oh dear...losers 1-2 home to Shrews, and that's the latter finishing seventh in League Two, where Exeter secure promotion with a 1-0 defeat of Rotherham away to finish second in front of Wycombe, who lost 2-1 at home to Notts County but hold on for promotion by a goal difference differential of +1 over Bury, who win to finish level with them on points (and would have gone up on goals scored had one more goal gone their way)

Gillingham beat Rochdale 1-0 away and will host the second leg of their playoff semifinal tie

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 May 2009 17:53

The Wycombe Bury issue wasn't quite as thrilling as it looks on paper. Bury needed two goals and only scored their first with more or less the last kick of the game - a penalty. Only three shots on target and only nine altogether. you'd think they'd have been taking cracks from every inch of the field with escape from the fourth at stake. Wycombe were also drawing until an injury time goal, so it all looked fine and dandy until the final seconds.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 02 May 2009 20:24

Cobblers! :cry:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 04 May 2009 22:13

Villa 1 HuLOLLOL 0

3 points still the gap with just 9 to play for. Next round of games could be make or bROFLeak for NewcastLOLe and BoROFLo.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 04 May 2009 22:48

hopefully they will draw, a result that would help neither

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 09 May 2009 17:02

Hull take another beating, this time at home to Stoke.

Stoke safe now for certain, and Hull edge closer to the trap door.

West Brom win again and are now on 31 points with both Newcastle and Boro.

Game on!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 May 2009 21:43

latest news...................... Burnley took a step nearer Wembley. This week's Team Board futile sacrifice: Andre Bikey, who was officialy class until very very recently.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 09 May 2009 21:51

LUX latest news...................... Burnley took a step nearer Wembley. This week's Team Board futile sacrifice: Andre Bikey, who was officialy class until very very recently.

lol

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 10 May 2009 12:51

Bury v Shrewsbury 2nd leg has been pretty fun so far. Bury missed a pen, Shrews had several good chances.........