Hob Nob Moderator

Re: ESPN

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Jul 2009 12:43

General lolz at Sky TBF

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jul 2009 12:54

ESPN can afford to not make a ton of money initially as they are owned by Disney, a luxury Setanta could ill aford. Also, ESPN are selling subs via Sky, whereas Setanta were completely standalone.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jul 2009 18:56

weybridgewanderer ESPN have no requirement for their own call cente as they will use SKYs
something will have to give somewhere.

An even worse Sky call centre?

All of this pay per view has a lot to answer for, regarding the lack of our NATIONAL Teams TV coverage on terrestrial tv (footy, Ruggers and right now Cricket :twisted: )

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2009 21:37

Looking forward to watching this new channel, it'll probably be better than Setanta if they put the hockey on there as well.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jul 2009 21:45

Royalee Looking forward to watching this new channel, it'll probably be better than Setanta if they put the hockey on there as well.
You wont miss the "grass roots" footy then?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Jul 2009 21:48

I shall miss the odd giggle at Oxford's expense, but I'm sure there are more productive things I could be doing like scratching my backside...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jul 2009 21:51

Royalee I shall miss the odd giggle at Oxford's expense, but I'm sure there are more productive things I could be doing like scratching my backside...
You surprise me Royalee

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Jul 2009 19:49

AthleticoSpizz
Royalee I shall miss the odd giggle at Oxford's expense, but I'm sure there are more productive things I could be doing like scratching my backside...
You surprise me Royalee

How so?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2009 19:17

ESPN (and ESPN HD) will be free to Virginmedia subscribers on the XL package from Monday.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jul 2009 21:35

Pcunts!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 30 Jul 2009 13:10

Setanta was free on that as well to be fair.

meeky_no9

by meeky_no9 » 30 Jul 2009 20:21

The reason ESPN had decided o buying it is that over the pont in usa, they are mad for engllish premier league football
as they will broadcast it over to the usa for a fee.
+ espn and sky are all owned by News International who also own fox and all the major newspapers in the US and UK

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Jul 2009 22:20

TheMaraudingDog Sure m8, you'll defo pull out there dressed as a black man.

PS
I actually hate American's.

racist

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Jul 2009 22:21

Or giving BR a noshing

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 31 Jul 2009 09:42

meeky_no9 The reason ESPN had decided o buying it is that over the pont in usa, they are mad for engllish premier league football
+ espn and sky are all owned by News International who also own fox and all the major newspapers in the US and UK

I'm not going to bother pulling out the specific inaccuracies but let it be known that is one epic FAIL you've managed there meeky

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 31 Jul 2009 12:07

Silver Fox
meeky_no9 The reason ESPN had decided o buying it is that over the pont in usa, they are mad for engllish premier league football

I'm not going to bother pulling out the specific inaccuracies but let it be known that is one epic FAIL you've managed there meeky

as some do need things spelling out...

The Americans are not mad about English football. It is popular among fans of the game, but it's still very much a niche sport (or a "nich" one, as they say)

The rights ESPN have bought don't give them the right to show games in the USA, just in the UK.

ESPN is owned by Disney, not News International.

News International doesn't own all the popular newspapers in the UK. It only owns the Times and the Sun. It the USA it only owns The New York Post, The Wall Street Journal and some local papers in the New York area.

Other than that, he was spot on though.

As it happens, ESPN does seem to be going for football in a big way. Premier League, SPL, Bundesliga (up to 5 live games a week), Dutch League (2 a week), Russian League (2 a week), Portuguese League and MLS all being covered.

Other than that, and some US sports, the only other sport I know they are covering is Aussie Rules football.

Like Setanta, it is free with the main Virgin Media package. From being very skeptical about it initially, it's starting to look a decent channel.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Aug 2009 10:57

Silver Fox Pcunts!

8) in HD as well at no additional cost. Virgin Media > Sky

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 01 Aug 2009 11:11

Rev Algenon Stickleback H As it happens, ESPN does seem to be going for football in a big way. Premier League, SPL, Bundesliga (up to 5 live games a week), Dutch League (2 a week), Russian League (2 a week), Portuguese League and MLS all being covered.

That's enough to make me subscribe.

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 01 Aug 2009 12:07

its fu*king shit

I want to watch Reading games in the pub

and i cant - ever since setanta started showing prem games at the same time as championship games are being broadcast on sky its been oxf*rd imposible to get a pub to put championship games on.

I live in merseyside so the chances are that everton or liverpool or one of he big teams will be playing in the espn match

whaddaya know - Newcastle Utd V Reading is at the same time as an everton match!

its got nothing to do with competition it just makes people pay twice for sky sports - its fukking ridddiculous!!!!!!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Aug 2009 12:14

comeonthebiscuitmen its fu*king shit

I want to watch Reading games in the pub

and i cant - ever since setanta started showing prem games at the same time as championship games are being broadcast on sky its been oxf*rd imposible to get a pub to put championship games on.

I live in merseyside so the chances are that everton or liverpool or one of he big teams will be playing in the espn match

whaddaya know - Newcastle Utd V Reading is at the same time as an everton match!

its got nothing to do with competition it just makes people pay twice for sky sports - its fukking ridddiculous!!!!!!

It's got nothing to do with Setanta or ESPN either. They didn't decide they wanted to show premiership games at 5.15. The premier league decided to offer games at that time as they'd make more money by making more slots available.