ESPN

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

ESPN

by weybridgewanderer » 07 Jul 2009 18:58

ESPN plan to launch a new channel in the UK on 3rd August called 'ESPN,' which will televise 46 Barclays Premier League matches this coming season, it was announced today by Lynne Frank, Managing Director, ESPN for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

The new channel will offer live Barclays Premier League football, international sports and a wide-range of premium U.S. sports previously provided on ESPN America, which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

As part of the new arrangement, Sky will retail ESPN to both its residential and commercial customers. Sky will make ESPN available on a premium subscription basis to all Sky homes. This means that all live Barclays Premier League matches will be available in HD to Sky homes. ESPN will appear in the Sky Guide at channel number 417 in SD and channel 443 in HD.

ESPN Classic (Sky Guide 442), which showcases the greatest moments in sport, will remain within the 'News and Events' pack. For Sky's commercial customers, all ESPN channels will be included within Sky's 'Ultimate' channel pack. ESPN HD will be available at no extra cost to those who subscribe to ESPN and have Sky's HD Pack. Sky has confirmed that Sky Sports subscribers will be able to subscribe to ESPN for £9 per month while other Sky customers will be able to subscribe from £12 per month.

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

Re: ESPN

by buzzby » 07 Jul 2009 22:04

What I dont get is, if Setanta went bust because they couldn't make any money. What makes ESPN think people are going to pay another £9 a month for wahts Setanta already had.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 07 Jul 2009 22:31

ESPN have a completely different business modelwhich will significantly reduce their costs

They'll use SKYs call centre to manage their subscriptions

They'll use SKY's Outside broadcast team to produce their EPLgames, they just add ESPN logos instead of SKY logos and put in their own commentator/summariser

They have a contract with SKY Media to advertise their packages and progams

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 07 Jul 2009 22:54

what'll happen to ESPN America which is now on 417? I don't want to pay more to watch more sodding football, getting all this US sport for free is great

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 07 Jul 2009 23:08

Wax Jacket what'll happen to ESPN America which is now on 417? I don't want to pay more to watch more sodding football, getting all this US sport for free is great

weybridgwanderer The new channel will offer live Barclays Premier League football, international sports and a wide-range of premium U.S. sports previously provided on ESPN America, which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Jul 2009 03:17

What about Virgin customers? We had Setanta as part of our package before they went bust.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Jul 2009 07:04

espn and virgin still in discussion

at the time setanta was initially included in the virgin XL package virgin had "klost" the sky premium channels

they have now all returned on virgin so ESPN may not be included for free in the xl package

ESPN are also in discussion with TOP UP TV about airing their new channel on freeview on a subscription basis

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jul 2009 07:48

weybridgewanderer at the time setanta was initially included in the virgin XL package virgin had "klost" the sky premium channels

You sure about that - Virgin had refused to pay Sky's increased price for the Sky basics pack (Sky 1 etc) which were withdrawn, but Movies and Sport (the Premium channels) were unaffected.

MattWFC

by MattWFC » 08 Jul 2009 08:14

So, people wouldn't pay £9.95 - £12.95 for Setanta which included live games, live Blue Square, live Scottish, live FA Cup, live boxing and live golf but are expected to pay £9 a month for just Premier League and a few American sports?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2009 08:52

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jul 2009 09:03

Seconded. Oh well, no basball/college football then.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2009 09:16

I might still bite the bullet and subscribe, but I seriously begrudge it :evil: Especially as I've justified my upgrade to HD today with the fact I'm now saving £12 per month thanks to the death of Setanta

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 08 Jul 2009 09:42

weybridgewanderer
Wax Jacket what'll happen to ESPN America which is now on 417? I don't want to pay more to watch more sodding football, getting all this US sport for free is great

weybridgwanderer The new channel will offer live Barclays Premier League football, international sports and a wide-range of premium U.S. sports previously provided on ESPN America, which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

/shakes fist

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 08 Jul 2009 10:01

American sport is shite, the less on TV the better. Top skills from ESPN.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jul 2009 10:13

That's weak m9, BTW can I borrow your mr Motivator costume, I'm going to Ayia Napa

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 08 Jul 2009 10:29

Sure m8, you'll defo pull out there dressed as a black man.

PS
I actually hate American's.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jul 2009 10:55

buzzby What I dont get is, if Setanta went bust because they couldn't make any money. What makes ESPN think people are going to pay another £9 a month for wahts Setanta already had.

For one thing, ESPN won't be paying anywhere near as much as Setanta did for the rights.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 08 Jul 2009 12:59

buzzby What I dont get is, if Setanta went bust because they couldn't make any money. What makes ESPN think people are going to pay another £9 a month for wahts Setanta already had.

it's actually less than Setanta had, unless American sports float your boat.

I'll certainly miss the blue square premier, the Scottish League, the German League and the Dutch league football, not to mention the Aussie Rules football, but at least I can, for now, still watch that for free over the internet.

I won't miss the premier league at all though. The only thing interesting is the relegation battle.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 08 Jul 2009 19:35

ESPN, in conjunction with SKY have offered the SPL half the money setanta had offered to show SPL from 2010 to 2014,
They have no requirement for their own call cente as they will use SKYs, nor their own outside broadcast team as they ill use SKYs....

Therefore to break even they do not need to same income from the subscriber base as setanta did

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Jul 2009 11:07

weybridgewanderer ESPN, in conjunction with SKY have offered the SPL half the money setanta had offered to show SPL from 2010 to 2014,
They have no requirement for their own call cente as they will use SKYs, nor their own outside broadcast team as they ill use SKYs....

Therefore to break even they do not need to same income from the subscriber base as setanta did

I would imagine the bulk of Setanta's debt wasn't the cost of making the shows, but paying for them, and for that they needed subscribers, as will ESPN.

The cheaper price means they will need less, although it remains to be seen how many will shell out for a channel that isn't showing many games, and doesn't seem to have anything else to offer other than "B list" American sports.