Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Sep 2009 23:28

... yeah - 'hopper' is probably just about right - 'Anorak' is OK - though when my wife uses it I politely remind her that her hobby of Bellringing is far closer related to train-spotting than mine! :wink:

- though on the NL Forum I'm a bit of an oddity, cos roughly every other report I submit is from the MadStad - I had some hardcore 'nutter' complaining that my posts weren't all Non-League and that he was fed up of seeing stuff about Reading - but I simply played on the fact that he seemed to be a frustrated pnob from Swinedon - didn't help that we were tearing things up in the Prem at the time - and to my surprise he got pelters from a lot of others on there who said they enjoyed my reports League or Non-League! :oops:
He got some severe stick from P@xford fans after that too....

I find that NL football gives a good release from the recent traumas we've suffered during & since our fall from the Prem. I do enjoy all the trivial bits and pieces around choosing which game to get to - does help that my eldest who is also an ST - is also keen to go 'hopping' too - he's racked up over 70 odd grounds now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Sep 2009 23:55

made sure that my 10 year old took the trek to Scours with me 4 times last season :oops:

he loved it (got to play with the matchball at half-time etc etc)

Me? well...I've watched Lancaster at the Giant Axe, Limavady United just behind the bra factory, Linfield, VFL Osnabruck (home of Uwe Hartenberger),Fleetwood, Wokingham @ Finchampstead Road, Elgin, Grimsby, Windsor & Eton and of course both Readings

Not much of a portfolio, I know...but working on it.

frimmers

by frimmers » 06 Sep 2009 09:25

would the'shots be a bridge to far even if tempered beforehand by visits to the pegasus ,the cannon and the crimea?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 Sep 2009 23:02

... not many big NL games coming up this next m/w Eversley v Petersfield in the Hants Senior Cup on Tue eve - not sure of KO - didn't think they'd got their lights commissioned yet but could be wrong.

... just had my weekly CCL Bulletin via e-mail 8) and states the above match will be played at Petersfield - think I read or was told by someone, they hope to have the lights working by Xmas or shortly after.
Clubs like this invariably have to overcome objections from a swathe of NIMBYs :roll:

UPDATE

Whoops - :oops: just realised I missed two 'fairly' big NL games being played tonight (Tue 8th) - in fact there's a full program in the Conf & Conf-South so:

Magpies vs Welling (aka 'The Wings' :? )

... and at the top end of the table -

'stoke vs Woking
'Furrock vs Dover

... and

H&R vs Bps Stortford
StAlebuns vs Staines

... I think Newports' match vs Weymouth has been put back a week to the 12th - cos it would clash with the International?

... oh and that lot from the Kassam are at home to Luton. :|

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 09 Sep 2009 00:27

Deserved 2-0 win for Maidenhead tonight, thier first win of the season which moves them off the bottom of the table.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 09 Sep 2009 09:29

Compo's Hat Deserved 2-0 win for Maidenhead tonight, thier first win of the season which moves them off the bottom of the table.

Basingstoke lost 1-2 to Woking in front of over 900

H&R L1-3 (Sheringham Jr hat-trick)
Dover W 2-0 @ Thurrock to go top
Staines W3-1 @ St.A.

...elsewhere...

P@xford W2-0 v Luton in front of over 10k - now 5 pts clear

.. in the Hellenic Floodlit Cup

Reading Town beat Oxford Nomads 3-1
Thatcham (presumably reserves?) won 4-1 @ Malmesbury

.. In the Hants Cup

Tadley lost 0-6 to Newport IOW
FNE won 4-1 v Ringwood
Eversley won 1-0 @ Petersfield

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 09 Sep 2009 10:19

Four Of Clubs
... not many big NL games coming up this next m/w Eversley v Petersfield in the Hants Senior Cup on Tue eve - not sure of KO - didn't think they'd got their lights commissioned yet but could be wrong.

... just had my weekly CCL Bulletin via e-mail 8) and states the above match will be played at Petersfield - think I read or was told by someone, they hope to have the lights working by Xmas or shortly after.
Clubs like this invariably have to overcome objections from a swathe of NIMBYs :roll:

I'm amazed by this, surely Eversley FC's ground is down a side road, well away from the residential area of Eversley itself.

Don't tell me, they've objected to the huge projected traffic increases.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Sep 2009 20:49

Four Of Clubs Magpies vs Welling (aka 'The Wings' :? )

2-0 UNITED last night. Welling just haven't been the same since Linda McCartney died.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Sep 2009 20:32

Brilliant to see Oxford steam rolling the Conference. Already over quarter of the points needed to secure promotion. Be great to see them back in the Football League.

Basingstoke Town, obvious they were in a false position and last 3 games have proved that. Downward from here on in.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Sep 2009 21:41

paultheroyal Brilliant to see Oxford steam rolling the Conference. Already over quarter of the points needed to secure promotion. Be great to see them back in the Football League.

Basingstoke Town, obvious they were in a false position and last 3 games have proved that. Downward from here on in.
Seem to recall Oxford blowing it pretty much from this same position, in their first season in the Conf.
Anything goes.

Shame to see Readings (discarded) yoof at The Camrose throwing away their good start

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 12 Sep 2009 22:54

Compo's Hat Deserved 2-0 win for Maidenhead tonight, thier first win of the season which moves them off the bottom of the table.

Was Chris Dean playing for them?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 13 Sep 2009 11:52

Results 12th Sept

CONF - National - sssh never mind! :?

CONF-S
'stoke 0-2 Bps Stortford
Woking 1-1 Maidenhead - a good point

...and

Newport 5-1 Eastleigh
Dover 4-2 H&R
Staines 0-1 Chelmsford - last minute sickener?

ISTH-1S
Fleet Town 2-3 @ Burgess Hill

FA CUP 1st Qualifying Rnd

Diddy 5-0 Shrivenham
Farnboro 2-1 Hastings
Thame 0-2 Burnham
Hemel 1-1 Slough replay Tue eve @ Beaconsfield FC
Thamesmead 1-2 Windsor & E
Marlow 0-2 Hendon
Hungerford 4-0 Bristol Manor Fm
Flackwell Heath 2-1 Royston

Robins L1-3 at home to Godalming (Friendly)
Thatcham had no game

Combined Counties Premier
Dorking 1-3 Sandhurst
Colliers Wood 0-2 Camberley
... both 'Fizzers' & 'Cambo' are joint top with 100% records - two games in hand over North Greenford who have a better GD.

Hellenic Prem
Abingdon T 2-3 Reading Town
Ascot 0-4 Binfield (att: 124)
Malmesbury Vics. 4-4 Marlow Utd

Hellenic 1 East
Rayners Lane 3-0 Wokkers (att: 72)
Finch 2-2 Diddy Res. (att: 72)
Newbury 1-4 Chalfont Wasps
Woodley 4-1 Chinnor
S.Kilburn 1-1 Henley T.
Prestwood 0-13 [Thirteen :shock: ] Holyport

Wessex 1
Aldermaston 0-9 Fawley
Fleet Spurs 2-1 Warminster
Ringwood 3-1 Tadley
Whitchurch 14-1 [Fourteen :shock: :shock: ] Shaftesbury

..finally Eversley L1-4 @ CB Hounslow in the CCL Challenge Cup

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Sep 2009 14:11

FA Cup 2nd qualifying round draw for local people:

Windsor & Eton vs Farnborough
Heme Hempstead/Slough vs Romford/Concord Rovers (I fancy Concord to get through by a nose)
Dorchester Town vs Hungerford (potential upset here. Are Hungerford nicknamed The Gunners?)
Abingdon United vs Cirencester Town
Brackley Town vs Basingstoke
Maidenhead vs Truro City/Bridport (possible returnto Berkshire for the great Trevor Senior)
Didcot vs Paulton Rovers (do they play at Paultons Park?)

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 14 Sep 2009 19:30

A trip to Walton Casuals or Chatham for me in the next round. FOC, know anything about these two?

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 14 Sep 2009 19:46

Row Z Royal

Was Chris Dean playing for them?

He is on loan at Aylesbury United, played in the FA cup at the weekend ----> http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/lastmatch/

He is in the Maidenhead United team photo mind. 8)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 14 Sep 2009 20:50

AndyRFC A trip to Walton Casuals or Chatham for me in the next round. FOC, know anything about these two?

...sorry no - not been to neither of 'em!

Certainly intend to get to Walton Casuals sooner rather than later - only 50 mins away from here - up the M3 -> M25 jn 11 and up into East Molesey. Fancy them for a midweek game, if I ever manage to escape the wife 'n kids. :roll:

I know Casuals haven't been @ Step04 for that long - Founded 1948 - 'The Stags' came up out of the Surrey County Leagues in the mid-90s - spent 10 years in the Combined Counties - have spent the last four seasons in the bottom half of the Isthmian One South.

With this history, no surprise their record attendance was CCL game vs AFC Wimbledon in '04 1,748

Their Cup/Trophy/Vase record is nothing special - never been beyond the 1st Qualifying Round before.

Know even less about Chatham Town - 'The Chats' were founded in the 1890's - in and out of the Southern Leagues until finally rejoined in 2001 - switched to the Isthmian in 06/07 - in this period rarely got above a mid-way finish.
Bizarrely spent last season in the Northern Section of Div One - presumably cos of their proximity to the Thames crossing.
Never got further than the 3rd Qualifying Rnd in The Cup and similar to Walton Cas. have a poor record in the Trophy and Vase when they've entered.
Record attendance [5,000 +] seems to be vs Gillingham in the 80's - probably a testimonial or friendly?

Enjoy! :wink:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 14 Sep 2009 21:15

floyd__streete FA Cup 2nd qualifying round draw for local people:

Windsor & Eton vs Farnborough
Heme Hempstead/Slough vs Romford/Concord Rovers (I fancy Concord to get through by a nose)
Dorchester Town vs Hungerford (potential upset here. Are Hungerford nicknamed The Gunners?)
Abingdon United vs Cirencester Town
Brackley Town vs Basingstoke
Maidenhead vs Truro City/Bridport (possible returnto Berkshire for the great Trevor Senior)
Didcot vs Paulton Rovers (do they play at Paultons Park?)

[Sorry consecutive threads - couldn't be f@gged to try and merge quote/cut 'n paste into one big one - mine are over wordy and dull as they are! ] :oops:

... Hungerford's nickname has equally violent undertones but not quite as non-Pc as your suggestion :? - they are 'The Crusaders'.
Would be an upset too if they managed a win at Dorchester - Hungerford are pretty duff in the league at the moment.

Definitely Bridports' draw at Treyew Rd one of the 'shocks' of the last round would be a bit special if they could get past them and come to York Rd - I think Truro would also be quite a handful for the Magpies.

If you've ever been to Concord - you certainly wouldn't want to use your nose - all the 'S's' Sewage Shipyards & Seaweed

Other 'local' ties:-

Bromley v Flackwell Heath
Witney (if they get past Shortwood) v Eastleigh
Burnham v London Colney or Aveley
Hythe v Woking

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 14 Sep 2009 21:30

Thanks!

Think I'd prefer a trip to Walton, spent the best part of 8 hours on trains and tubes to and from Deal!

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 15 Sep 2009 13:43

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Sep 2009 22:19

Four Of Clubs Maidenhead vs Truro City/Bridport (possible returnto Berkshire for the great Trevor Senior)

Definitely Bridports' draw at Treyew Rd one of the 'shocks' of the last round would be a bit special if they could get past them and come to York Rd - I think Truro would also be quite a handful for the Magpies.

Truro win the replay 7-0. :shock:

WIll be going down to York Road to see this.

725 posts