Coppell to Brighton?

No Fixed Abode

Re: Coppell to Brighton?

by No Fixed Abode » 03 Nov 2009 12:23

Once were Biscuitmen Ah Brighton; I do miss their deluded requests for 9000 away tickets and their single minded conviction to the mental fairy tale that, "Bobby Z" will one day score against big Four in the prem.

Hasn't he scored against Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Blackburn yet then?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Nov 2009 18:53

Royalee
Harpers So Solid Crew
Royalee It'd be nice to see Coppell find his level in League 1.

Wonder what level we will be at soon?

FWIW despite some on here Brighton have massive potential, and with the new ground being built I can see them getting out of level 1 next season, no further from the top 6 than us .

We'll be fine...Brighton's new ground won't be as big as ours, despite this potential you bang on about. He's got to manage to take them from the bottom of the league up to ours to begin with, which might take some time given he only managed to leave us in the same position as when he took over 6 years before. We've got just as big a catchment area as Brighton.

Sensible design at Falmer as well, looks like any future expansion will be at the goal ends, with the side s looking finished.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Nov 2009 22:49

Deathy

At least thier stadium has personality, unlike our lego looking bowl.

Personality? Explain to me how from this artists impression of a football stadium you have deduced that it has got personality? Does it have Ken Dodd's tickling sticks for floodlights maybe? Or does it perhaps remind you of the boat from the title sequence of Gentle Ben?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Nov 2009 23:03

floyd__streete
Deathy

At least thier stadium has personality, unlike our lego looking bowl.

Personality? Explain to me how from this artists impression of a football stadium you have deduced that it has got personality? Does it have Ken Dodd's tickling sticks for floodlights maybe? Or does it perhaps remind you of the boat from the title sequence of Gentle Ben?

I think it looks like one of the Autobots in Transformers II.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Nov 2009 02:27

Ideal

You seem to forget that Coppell took us to his level in the premier league.
Brendan Rodgers on the other hand seems intent on taking us down to his level, League 1. (And it would not surprise me if that wasn't his level either, we might go on to league 2.)

Coppell proved his level wasn't the Premier League by getting relegated from it twice and walking out on Man City after 32 days. Rodgers hasn't had anywhere near the time we gave Coppell to get out of this league and the latter started with a far superior start point.

Anyway, if you're right then I'm sure Brighton will soar past us and reach the Premiership!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Nov 2009 10:33

Royalee
Ideal

You seem to forget that Coppell took us to his level in the premier league.
Brendan Rodgers on the other hand seems intent on taking us down to his level, League 1. (And it would not surprise me if that wasn't his level either, we might go on to league 2.)

Coppell proved his level wasn't the Premier League by getting relegated from it twice and walking out on Man City after 32 days. Rodgers hasn't had anywhere near the time we gave Coppell to get out of this league and the latter started with a far superior start point.

Anyway, if you're right then I'm sure Brighton will soar past us and reach the Premiership!

Coppell managed Manchester City in Division 1. One of his games in charge was a 2-0 defeat to Reading at Elm Park, goals scored by (there's only one) Lee Nogan. That in itself should be a big clue as to what level City were at then...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Nov 2009 10:42

I'd say Brighton have far greater potential than Reading - the fact that we got there at all is largely down to the abilities of SC and teh special circumstances of the time.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Nov 2009 11:13

handbags_harris
Coppell managed Manchester City in Division 1. One of his games in charge was a 2-0 defeat to Reading at Elm Park, goals scored by (there's only one) Lee Nogan. That in itself should be a big clue as to what level City were at then...

Oh dear royalee, still lets not get facts in the way of an opinion shall we.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Nov 2009 11:23

Harpers So Solid Crew
handbags_harris

Oh dear royalee, still lets not get facts in the way of an opinion shall we.

He's never let it bother him before, so why should he start now?

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 04 Nov 2009 13:20

That's bang out of order. Our most successful manager ever and you say a comment like that. Fuck off from supporting Reading.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 04 Nov 2009 13:23

Geekins

That's bang out of order. Our most successful manager ever and you say a comment like that. Fuck off from supporting Reading.

Even Royalee can't believe that. What Coppell did here, and what he did with Palace proves time and time again that at the very least, Coppell is a top Championship manager.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Nov 2009 14:45

City are a Premiership-size club and the fact that he couldn't take the pressure of managing them even at Championship level would suggest that sustained Premiership football is beyond him because he hasn't got the stomach for it and can't manage the modern day top flight footballer as we saw with some of our players.

Coppell is very good at finding clubs which given their facilities and potential should be in the top flight, which is why he's picky with his jobs. He can't handle pressure and he can't turn teams which are in real adversity around, which is why he took us back down, had no answers last season despite 'learning lessons' and did the same at Palace and Brighton in his first spell, he also couldn't stick with Brentford after he failed to take them up. The mark of a real top manager is to be able to face adversity, take things by the scruff of the neck and make a change - he hasn't done this once in his career, he's just built on positive momentum and then stepped down when that has evaporated.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Nov 2009 14:46

Geekins

Absolute LOL.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Nov 2009 14:59

Royalee City are a Premiership-size club and the fact that he couldn't take the pressure of managing them even at Championship level would suggest that sustained Premiership football is beyond him because he hasn't got the stomach for it and can't manage the modern day top flight footballer as we saw with some of our players.

Coppell is very good at finding clubs which given their facilities and potential should be in the top flight, which is why he's picky with his jobs. He can't handle pressure and he can't turn teams which are in real adversity around, which is why he took us back down, had no answers last season despite 'learning lessons' and did the same at Palace and Brighton in his first spell, he also couldn't stick with Brentford after he failed to take them up. The mark of a real top manager is to be able to face adversity, take things by the scruff of the neck and make a change - he hasn't done this once in his career, he's just built on positive momentum and then stepped down when that has evaporated.

Seriously I was as vocal as you bout Coppell in the last few season but you have to move on.

You won't make it to 30 with the amount of anger in your blood.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 04 Nov 2009 15:21

Royalee City are a Premiership-size club and the fact that he couldn't take the pressure of managing them even at Championship level would suggest that sustained Premiership football is beyond him because he hasn't got the stomach for it and can't manage the modern day top flight footballer as we saw with some of our players.

Harsh on his Brighton stint, he hardly took them down, didn't that Hinshelwood lose 13/14 str8 games or something silly, was going to be miraculous to keep them up, and only a sloppy last day performance and our incompetence took them down in the end. They were top when he left for us, so hardly the good feeling had evapor8d. In fact it was a far tougher job taking the Reading job at the time than his Brighton team, as he found out. A team solely reliant on 1 player, Forster.

He also did a superb job at Brentford, they were desper8ly unlucky on two occasions in the same season not to go up, he had ZERO resource there, everyone else that's gone in there since has struggled.

Coppell was responsible for the 2 best seasons in this clubs history. A level of excellence that will probably never be achieved again, and certainly not by the clown currently in charge.

I felt it was the right time for Coppell to move on at the end of last season, everything has a shelf life and I felt we weren't really going anywhere towards the end of last season, seemed to me Coppell was drained and the club needed a facelift.

Having said that, had he stayed this season I heavily doubt we'd have been in such a dire st8 and 4th from bottom after 15 games or so.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 04 Nov 2009 15:30

I think you seem to forget that Coppell 'over achieved' with Reading considering his budget restrictions. He got on with it and did the best he could. If he's given a squad similar to the year we wnet down and with the investment needed to keep it up, he would've shown he's a Premiership manager. Don't be such a cock in the future.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Nov 2009 16:18

Alan Partridge

Harsh on his Brighton stint, he hardly took them down, didn't that Hinshelwood lose 13/14 str8 games or something silly, was going to be miraculous to keep them up, and only a sloppy last day performance and our incompetence took them down in the end. They were top when he left for us, so hardly the good feeling had evapor8d. In fact it was a far tougher job taking the Reading job at the time than his Brighton team, as he found out. A team solely reliant on 1 player, Forster.

He also did a superb job at Brentford, they were desper8ly unlucky on two occasions in the same season not to go up, he had ZERO resource there, everyone else that's gone in there since has struggled.

Coppell was responsible for the 2 best seasons in this clubs history. A level of excellence that will probably never be achieved again, and certainly not by the clown currently in charge.

I felt it was the right time for Coppell to move on at the end of last season, everything has a shelf life and I felt we weren't really going anywhere towards the end of last season, seemed to me Coppell was drained and the club needed a facelift.

Having said that, had he stayed this season I heavily doubt we'd have been in such a dire st8 and 4th from bottom after 15 games or so.

Pretty much agree with Coppell although calling Rodgers a clown is a bit OTT as he's hardly had a chance to show what he can bring just yet..

It's utterly laughable however to suggest that Brentford,Brighton,Reading and even Palace for most of his time there were bona-fide nailed on top-flight clubs. I can also assume Royalee is too young to actually remember the complete and utter shambles that was Manchester City Football Club in the mid to late 90's. Brentford was/is the epitome of shoestring, Brighton were double figures adrift with a third of the season gone when he took over and still were in with a shout of survival on the final day, whilst at Palace apart from one short period he was pretty much Red Adair as whenever they were in the shit he got the call to firefight again.

If he'd made the point that Coppell is happier at lower profile clubs where he is away from massive hype and expectation and afforded the time to build teams in an efficient and understated manner then I couldn't much argue. As it is the post just makes him look silly.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2009 20:55

I think there were bigger forces at work when Coppell was at Man City than met the eye. I'd really just let Royalee get on with his hatred of Coppell I'm sure Copps doesn't really care what some cretinous oaf thinks about him.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Nov 2009 00:13

Some excellent posts by AP and Vision as usual.

No surprise Royalee hasn't been back on here since they posted!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 05 Nov 2009 07:14

Anyone know RFCs top finish ever??

Anyone know Palaces top ever finish?

Why am I even bothering?