Aldershot

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Aldershot

by Ark Royal » 06 Jan 2010 20:46

To me, the Jerkies have always been the local rivals but as far as stuff kicking off in and out of the ground, it was always Aldershot. Was a regular visitor from 66/67 (cup replay at the Rec with record crowd of 16,500(!) crammed inside) right up until our last visit there in 91(?). That last game was oxf*rd awful and only a last minute goal from Stuart Beavon salvaged a point. Always thought the Rec was a quirky ground but with character and I used to like the view from the corner terracing below the railway line.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jan 2010 20:47

I went to all the notable games with Aldershot in the 70s. Particularly recall the 4-0 hammering we gave them on Easter Monday at Elm Park circa 1979.

There was always crowd violence at the Aldershot-Reading games invariably caused by Reading fans (JP) I might say as Aldershot never really had the numbers, if I can go all Brimson for a moment.

I recall their supporters cowering in a corner of the Town End at that Easter derby game in the 70s as they were assailed from all sides. Can't condone it of course.

Also remember a pre-season friendly at Aldershot around the same time and British Rail actually put on a special train to take Reading fans there, for a friendly!

Admittedly it was only a three car unit, but still a special.

The real point, is that in all my 40 odd years supporting RFC, Aldershot are the only team we REALLY hated.

Why that is I'm not sure. I think the proximity and the feeling by Reading that Aldershot were upstarts.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 06 Jan 2010 20:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWi66n6 ... re=related

Brian Potter was delighted at Aldershots promotion

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Jan 2010 20:54

Ark Royal To me, the Jerkies have always been the local rivals

Who :| ?

southstand67

by southstand67 » 06 Jan 2010 20:55

I never went to a Reading - Aldershot game, but my memories of Aldershot are the many collecters at Bracknell Station asking for money to save the club. Pure class eh?

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Jan 2010 21:04

Got to admire them for fighting there way back in the league after all those years then doing well thanks to our players :lol: But come on roll back the years,lets get get the old rivalry back again.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Jan 2010 21:08

floyd__streete

Sw*ndon. Newbie.

southstand67

by southstand67 » 06 Jan 2010 21:09

I remember a mate of mine having the crap kicked out of him when Pompey were up in the 70's one time. They're rivals too right? Not in the same mould as Aldershot, but certainly more than Swindon or Oxford?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Jan 2010 21:11

Norfolk Royal I went to all the notable games with Aldershot in the 70s. Particularly recall the 4-0 hammering we gave them on Easter Monday at Elm Park circa 1979.

There was always crowd violence at the Aldershot-Reading games invariably caused by Reading fans (JP) I might say as Aldershot never really had the numbers, if I can go all Brimson for a moment.

I recall their supporters cowering in a corner of the Town End at that Easter derby game in the 70s as they were assailed from all sides. Can't condone it of course.

Also remember a pre-season friendly at Aldershot around the same time and British Rail actually put on a special train to take Reading fans there, for a friendly!

Admittedly it was only a three car unit, but still a special.

The real point, is that in all my 40 odd years supporting RFC, Aldershot are the only team we REALLY hated.

Why that is I'm not sure. I think the proximity and the feeling by Reading that Aldershot were upstarts.

My fave was the 6-2 hammering we gave them in the FA Cup in 67. 5-0 at half-time.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Jan 2010 21:19

Ark Royal
floyd__streete

Sw*ndon. Newbie.

Have never heard Swindon described as the Jerkies before. Is it because you have a beef with them?

southstand67 I remember a mate of mine having the crap kicked out of him when Pompey were up in the 70's one time. They're rivals too right? Not in the same mould as Aldershot, but certainly more than Swindon or Oxford?

I very much doubt that we'd feature on Portsmouth's rival-o-meter, but I have to say that I have a massive disliking of them. I've never seen us beat them, we've lost badly every time I have been to their sh*thole of a ground and to add insult to our regular defeats there, they are generallty supported by a bunch of chavs best represented by that absolute goon John 'Portsmouth FC' Westwood who I have had the misfortune to meet and can confirm that he is an uttercunt. Their delusions of grandeur are unfounded as they rarely fill their 20,000 heap to capacity and they are currently basically cheating by having massively overspent in the last decade and now cannot pay their players. I genuinely hope that they go bust. Churlish? Maybe, but who cares.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Jan 2010 21:29

Me and my mates had a ruck with 5 Aldershot fans in Windsor, on my stag do, last year........was stood with them in a queue chatting, asked who we supported etc etc - showed their hatred for Reading but nothing more was said or done.

Here's 3 of them:

End of the night though - outside they start mouthing off and before we know it its a 5 on 5 ruck in the middle of the street.........thing is, i was dressed as a fcuking elf

:oops:

All because we were Reading and they were Aldershot :|

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 06 Jan 2010 21:32

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 06 Jan 2010 21:47

I very much doubt that we'd feature on Portsmouth's rival-o-meter,

Back in the 70's The Reading /Pompy games always ended in a big fight,especially in the days before segregation. I remember trying to get over the fence into the Tilehurst road end to get away from a big bundle.

I used to enjoy the "friendly" rivalry between us and Shots though :mrgreen:

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 06 Jan 2010 21:48

Rusty royal
I very much doubt that we'd feature on Portsmouth's rival-o-meter,

Back in the 70's The Reading /Pompy games always ended in a big fight,especially in the days before segregation. I remember trying to get over the fence into the Tilehurst road end to get away from a big bundle.

I used to enjoy the "friendly" rivalry between us and Shots though :mrgreen:

Wasn't there a bit of trouble at the Station a few years ago with Portsmouth?

southstand67

by southstand67 » 06 Jan 2010 22:04

TBM Me and my mates had a ruck with 5 Aldershot fans in Windsor, on my stag do, last year........was stood with them in a queue chatting, asked who we supported etc etc - showed their hatred for Reading but nothing more was said or done.

Here's 3 of them:

End of the night though - outside they start mouthing off and before we know it its a 5 on 5 ruck in the middle of the street.........thing is, i was dressed as a fcuking elf

:oops:

All because we were Reading and they were Aldershot :|

Random question, completely unrelated I know, but have you got any of santa's little helpers' numbers still?

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 06 Jan 2010 23:08

Lucy Beale is a 'shots fan?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 06 Jan 2010 23:47

They have no post count ticker. LOL

Wide and Wonderful
Location: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

by Wide and Wonderful » 06 Jan 2010 23:48

I think my first game was a pre-season friendly against Aldershot in the very early 80s (82/83 perhaps?)

Can't remeber too much about the occassion as it was the efforts of the old man to get his sensitive young boy interested in football. I spent the whole game being bored, moaning about standing up and I couldn't see over the wall, so I sat on the concrete block at the bottom of the floodlights in the corner where the southbank met the tilehurst end.

My old primary school teacher was an Aldershot fan and used to wear his Aldershot tracksuit when holding PE lessons and was a bit of a bastard. I think my dislkike of Aldershot town comes more from the memory of having to run around in a hail storm in my vest, pants and plimsoles whilst he barked out 'encouragement' dressed up in his Aldershot gear.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Jan 2010 03:56

I remember playing the Shots at the Rec on a Boxing Day game about 83? I reckon the crowd was about 6,000 but there must have been 3,000 Royals it was like a home game, and it was the most one sided 0-0 I have ever seen. A brilliant atmosphere on an old stand up terrace. I think Reading fans used to be up for this game as we would always outnumber them and more often than not beat them, which was not always the case with Oxford Pompey and Swindon.

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 07 Jan 2010 06:57

ayjaydee There was mention on the thread about a song but my memory is hazy these days

It started "tiptoe through the southbank" but I am buggered if I can get anymore.

Any "old uns" care to refresh my memory?

"Tiptoe through the South Bank
WIth yer boots on
And yer sawn off shotgun
Tiptoes through the South Bank with me"

Around '70 we took a load down to aldershot. The feds stopped us at Ash railway station IIRC. They searched us, confiscated anything naughty and then sent us on.