10373 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The generic transfer thread

by URZZZZ » 13 Apr 2021 09:53

Hendo
Sanguine
URZZZZ Marcus Maddison has had his loan spell cut short at Bolton

Cited his reasons as “not enjoying football any more” and that football has “broke him” - to the verge of possible retirement. Whatever the problem is, it sounds deep, best wishes to him

Well the football industry has eventually broke me. All the abuse, pressures & monotony of the last 2 years has just got to me. I’ve tried to fit in & be happy but if I can’t be happy In a winning team fighting for promotion it’s clearly something deeper. I’m returning home to think do I want to play football any more as it just doesn’t bring me any joy at all.

:(

That is proper shit. Thought he was a pretty decent player as well. Someone I think Reading could've done well in signing a few years ago.

Think we were interested in signing him at a point, the summer of 2018 perhaps? - recall the ‘Boro chairman confirming our interest. Was shocked when I saw he was at Bolton, always looked a talented little player

Regardless, it’s a sad situation - hope he gets some help if that’s what he needs

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 May 2021 12:49

Placeholder for Kane to Man city

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 May 2021 17:52

BBC saying Kane hasn't handed in a transfer request but instead believes he has a gentlemans agreement with Daniel Levy about letting him go

oh Harry....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 May 2021 19:46

I still can't see it happening for the fee Levy will charge, in a post Covid football landscape. Haaland will be cheaper too, and is 8 years younger

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 May 2021 22:51

Apparently Abramovich is gonna go all out for Kane. Would he go to Chelsea though?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 May 2021 08:38

Pepe the Horseman Apparently Abramovich is gonna go all out for Kane. Would he go to Chelsea though?

I think he would providing he got paid well and the have Champions League football. They would also have to be the only team with the chance of signing him. I am certain they'd be third choice for him behind City and United.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 May 2021 10:18

I don't think even Levy is stupid enough to sell Kane to Chelsea. They almost never do business.

Remember when Chelsea bid £50m for Modric and Levy rejected that and accepted £30m from Real Madrid? :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 May 2021 10:21

URZZZZ
Hendo
Sanguine
Well the football industry has eventually broke me. All the abuse, pressures & monotony of the last 2 years has just got to me. I’ve tried to fit in & be happy but if I can’t be happy In a winning team fighting for promotion it’s clearly something deeper. I’m returning home to think do I want to play football any more as it just doesn’t bring me any joy at all.

:(

That is proper shit. Thought he was a pretty decent player as well. Someone I think Reading could've done well in signing a few years ago.

Think we were interested in signing him at a point, the summer of 2018 perhaps? - recall the ‘Boro chairman confirming our interest. Was shocked when I saw he was at Bolton, always looked a talented little player

Regardless, it’s a sad situation - hope he gets some help if that’s what he needs

I see he has signed for Spalding Town so that he can focus on something else and play part time to see if just playing "for fun" helps him. Good luck to him.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 May 2021 10:53

Stranded
URZZZZ
Hendo

I see he has signed for Spalding Town so that he can focus on something else and play part time to see if just playing "for fun" helps him. Good luck to him.

Same what happened to Billy Kee

He plays PT in the 10th division or something and works as a brickie and says he enjoys it so much more

He was one of the best players in L1 and says he had bulimia and anxiety attacks due to football, no job is worth that

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 May 2021 10:55

My mrs grandad, a spurs fan, is having a deb8 about whether footballers should stay for respect at their clubs (ie gerrard/shearer/le tiss) or leave to win trophies they deserve for their talents (ie RVP/Probs/Kane/Bale/Modric)

I think the latter, he does not.

He said if Kane goes, oxf*rd him and he will have no respect for him as Spurs made him. Football fans are so fickle.

What do you think?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 May 2021 11:14

Simmops My mrs grandad, a spurs fan, is having a deb8 about whether footballers should stay for respect at their clubs (ie gerrard/shearer/le tiss) or leave to win trophies they deserve for their talents (ie RVP/Probs/Kane/Bale/Modric)

He said if Kane goes, oxf*rd him and he will have no respect for him as Spurs made him. Football fans are so fickle.

What do you think?

Yes I agree football fans are fickle.

It is no different to any walk of life. You join company A as an 18 year old, they train you up to be an expert in your field, should you stay at the company because they trained you up? Or if you feel the company is going in the wrong direction do you leave for one of the competitors who have their shit in order?

If Kane wants to go and compete at the very top level, fair play to him, he's good enough. If Spurs had invested more in the squad when Pochettino had them as serious challengers then he would likely have stayed his whole career there, they didn't and are now drifting as a result of bad decisions and lets face it, any player is one bad injury away from no longer being useful to a club and shipped out on their terms so you have to look after yourself.

Not sure Shearer/Gerarrd are great examples really, Gerrard won what 2 FA Cups, 3 League cups, a Champions League and a UEFA Cup staying at Liverpool - the only thing missing was a PL title - so had no real need to move on.

Shearer only went to Newcastle having won the league and if he was being loyal to a club, it should have been Soton who took him on as a youth and gave him his break.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 May 2021 11:55

I don't think players owe a club 'loyalty'. If Kane wasn't scoring goals, Spurs would soon enough let him leave. Sure, Spurs gave him opportunities, but he owes his success predominantly to his own ability and hard work.

A more interesting part of this discussion for me is the psychological side for players of playing for their boyhood teams. There is no doubt that a) Gerrard could have won more trophies had he left Liverpool, and also b) that he chose not to because Liverpool is his club. To Gerrard, there was no greater honour and achievement to be had than playing for Liverpool. As much as he wanted to win the Premier League with Liverpool, I'd wager Gerrard wouldn't swap lifting the European Cup for his club once, for a few Premier League titles with, say, Chelsea.

I think if Spurs were moderately successful in terms of trophies, as Liverpool were in Gerrard's earlier years, Kane would probably stick it out on that same basis - a few trophies for Spurs being better than a bucketload for City.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2021 12:01

Simmops My mrs grandad, a spurs fan, is having a deb8 about whether footballers should stay for respect at their clubs (ie gerrard/shearer/le tiss) or leave to win trophies they deserve for their talents (ie RVP/Probs/Kane/Bale/Modric)

What do you think?

Each individual is driven by their own motivations in life. For some, loyalty, for others, the ability to play at the top level and win trophies

It's becoming more and more likely that Spurs aren't winning anything in the short term so if Kane wants to win trophies, it's difficult to blame his reasoning

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 May 2021 12:08

I'm not even sure trophies are the biggest factor here. It's playing at the top level.

Kane is an elite player, arguably the best in the world in his position and should really be playing regularly in the Champions League. It's no surprise if he's not up for sticking around for a 2nd season in the Europa League with Spurs.

Whether someone's gonna stump up the cash is another issue too.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2021 12:12

NathStPaul
Pepe the Horseman Apparently Abramovich is gonna go all out for Kane. Would he go to Chelsea though?

I think he would providing he got paid well and the have Champions League football. They would also have to be the only team with the chance of signing him. I am certain they'd be third choice for him behind City and United.

It's interesting how Kane's game has evolved this season, from that traditional goalscoring striker on the last line of the defence to someone who also has the ability to drop in deep and utilise his passing range, hence the number of assists for him this season

With this evolution in his game, I could see him suiting Liverpool's style to a tee - something I couldn't have envisaged a few years ago

Given the constant upheavals at Chelsea - would struggle to see the logic of him joining there

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 May 2021 12:15

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

It's interesting how Kane's game has evolved this season, from that traditional goalscoring striker on the last line of the defence to someone who also has the ability to drop in deep and utilise his passing range, hence the number of assists for him this season

With this evolution in his game, I could see him suiting Liverpool's style to a tee - something I couldn't have envisaged a few years ago

Given the constant upheavals at Chelsea - would struggle to see the logic of him joining there

I agree with your points but I think he has changed his game at Spurs due to the fact the service to him has become so poor in the last couple of seasons. He simply had to drop deeper in order to assist others or to set himself up, if he didn't do it then nobody would.

Agree with you RE: Liverpool. Just don't see them spending that sort of money. Only way I could see it is if they can somehow convince Firmino to go to Spurs in exchange along with £50m-£70m.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2021 12:15

Sanguine I don't think players owe a club 'loyalty'. If Kane wasn't scoring goals, Spurs would soon enough let him leave. Sure, Spurs gave him opportunities, but he owes his success predominantly to his own ability and hard work.

A more interesting part of this discussion for me is the psychological side for players of playing for their boyhood teams. There is no doubt that a) Gerrard could have won more trophies had he left Liverpool, and also b) that he chose not to because Liverpool is his club. To Gerrard, there was no greater honour and achievement to be had than playing for Liverpool. As much as he wanted to win the Premier League with Liverpool, I'd wager Gerrard wouldn't swap lifting the European Cup for his club once, for a few Premier League titles with, say, Chelsea.

I think if Spurs were moderately successful in terms of trophies, as Liverpool were in Gerrard's earlier years, Kane would probably stick it out on that same basis - a few trophies for Spurs being better than a bucketload for City.

Wasn't that part of his reasoning for the U-turn on joining Chelsea?

Along the lines of "yeah, I may win more trophies there but there's no greater feeling that winning trophies at Liverpool". As he said, at the time of handing in his transfer request he was "immature" and enjoyed the flirting nature, lured in by Mourinho

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 May 2021 12:17

URZZZZ
NathStPaul

Also with them having spent so much last season already and they do not look like getting rid of Werner at all

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2021 12:23

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul I think he would providing he got paid well and the have Champions League football. They would also have to be the only team with the chance of signing him. I am certain they'd be third choice for him behind City and United.

I agree with your points but I think he has changed his game at Spurs due to the fact the service to him has become so poor in the last couple of seasons. He simply had to drop deeper in order to assist others or to set himself up, if he didn't do it then nobody would.

Agree with you RE: Liverpool. Just don't see them spending that sort of money. Only way I could see it is if they can somehow convince Firmino to go to Spurs in exchange along with £50m-£70m.

I think Kane dropping deep was a deliberate ploy from Mourinho - who saw the capabilities in his game to be able to do that - especially with Son's movement off the left

Obviously it's always easier said than done but there's a lot of "deadwood" at Liverpool who they can replace to generate transfer funds. It will, of course, be dependent on (a) the player wanting to move and (b) there being sufficient interest on said players but by my reckoning, the likes of Matip (decent defender but too injury prone), Davies (already!), Keita, Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Origi could move on this summer. Then there's Wijnaldum going which will free wages up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2021 12:29

Simmops
URZZZZ
NathStPaul I think he would providing he got paid well and the have Champions League football. They would also have to be the only team with the chance of signing him. I am certain they'd be third choice for him behind City and United.

Also with them having spent so much last season already and they do not look like getting rid of Werner at all

None of Ziyech, Havertz or Werner have particularly set the world on fire

Whether that's just an adaptation period or the reality is another question. Guess we'll get a greater indication next season

10373 posts