The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Sep 2020 11:16

Villa have got a half decent side this season. Not sure about playing Barkley and Grealish together though, would leave them very open. Not entirely convinced by Ollie Watkins yet either but it is early days.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Oct 2020 13:54

Everton buy Godfrey from Norwich. Probably a backup for Coleman but they have a serious team now.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Oct 2020 21:35

Simmops Everton buy Godfrey from Norwich. Probably a backup for Coleman but they have a serious team now.

York City to reportely receive £2.5M of the transfer fee.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 08:23

Simmops Everton buy Godfrey from Norwich. Probably a backup for Coleman but they have a serious team now.

He's a centre-back, not a right-back.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 08:25

Spurs sign Carlos Vinicius from Benfica. It's their first striker purchase for 1127 days (Fernando Llorente).

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Oct 2020 08:58

genome

He's a centre-back, not a right-back.

:roll:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2020 10:07

Winston Biscuit

York City to reportely receive £2.5M of the transfer fee.

That’s fantastic news.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 10:13

genome Spurs sign Carlos Vinicius from Benfica. It's their first striker purchase for 1127 days (Fernando Llorente).

Doesnt Bergwijn play up front?! :?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 10:19

Spurs described Bergwijn as a 'forward' when they announced signing him https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/january/bergwijn-joins-from-psv/

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 10:31

Winston Biscuit
genome Spurs sign Carlos Vinicius from Benfica. It's their first striker purchase for 1127 days (Fernando Llorente).

Predominantly an inside forward/winger, like Son. Definitely not a striker in the traditional sense

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 10:46

genome
Winston Biscuit

Predominantly an inside forward/winger, like Son. Definitely not a striker in the traditional sense

Son is a winger?!

Maybe I am out of touch here. I have 'striker' down as a championship manager era description of a centre forward. I file it alongside 'false 9' and 'inverted wingbacks'

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 10:50

Related - heard a journalist the other day, when talking about Spurs signing this new fella, say 'well now that we are in the era of Harry Kane transitioning from a number 9 to a fasle 9......'

I just WTF'd at the radio and turned it off rolling my eyes. It feels like the football know-it-all clamour for attention very much involves trying to think up or use as many new w*nky names and descriptions for things that already exist just because they think it makes them look more knowledgeable than the next man/woman/trans

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2020 11:24

Winston Biscuit Related - heard a journalist the other day, when talking about Spurs signing this new fella, say 'well now that we are in the era of Harry Kane transitioning from a number 9 to a fasle 9......'

I just WTF'd at the radio and turned it off rolling my eyes. It feels like the football know-it-all clamour for attention very much involves trying to think up or use as many new w*nky names and descriptions for things that already exist just because they think it makes them look more knowledgeable than the next man/woman/trans

Agreed, got no real time for it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 11:35

Winston Biscuit
genome
Winston Biscuit

Son is a winger?!

Maybe I am out of touch here. I have 'striker' down as a championship manager era description of a centre forward. I

Depends on your definition of winger. If you're thinking as part of the midfield in a 4-4-2 like Glen Little and Bobby Convey, then no. But winger can mean out wide as part of a front 3 now. Son did play centrally sometimes when Kane was out injured but rarely and that because they had no other centre-forwards.

To pass the Winston test, I should've said "It's their first centre-forward purchase for 1127 days (Fernando Llorente)" :wink:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 11:35

Hendo
Winston Biscuit Related - heard a journalist the other day, when talking about Spurs signing this new fella, say 'well now that we are in the era of Harry Kane transitioning from a number 9 to a fasle 9......'

File it under xG

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 11:45

genome
Hendo

File it under xG

Still dont know what xg is tbh. Have no interest in knowing either.

I still cant believe how much people have bought into the insanity of assist stats. That's probably the one that baffles me most as you see fairly sensible people using them to the point they seem to just be accepted now. Its absolute nonsense.

One of my favourite modern day nonsense football moments was when I was in an airport waiting to fly and was killing time by checking out HT scores on a telly somewhere. A fella walked up and his mate shouted over asking how Man Utd got on. He replied that it was 0-0, then a few seconds later excitedly shouted over that they had had 65% possession and pumped a clenched fist as he delivered this news. His mates responded in kind too with a few 'get in!' type comments.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Oct 2020 13:09

genome
Hendo

File it under xG

Oh god yes.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Oct 2020 20:59

Hendo
genome
Hendo

File it under xG

Oh god yes.

nope, xG is a legitimate attempt to assess on-ball player contribution

Like every model it will develop and improve. Most stats in football are shit

They have to be so Jamie Redknap can understand it and say something on TV.

Brentford have made good use of it. They sold Watkins because he is an over-valued asset

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Oct 2020 21:01

C :| v :| ni

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Oct 2020 21:39

genome
Hendo

File it under xG

Trequerista is my fave position. Whatever the oxf*rd that is.

10373 posts