How to stop the diving...

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

How to stop the diving...

by seahawk10 » 21 Jun 2010 23:46

I think we would all agree that diving, embellishment and dishonesty that go on during a game needs to be stopped. I am sure this topic has been kicked around before but I would like to hear some possible solutions to the problem.

My idea is to have FIFA impose some pretty harsh punishments for these acts. The NFL routinely hands out fines if something that goes on during a game is missed by officials. So why not do this with proper football? If FIFA handed out one game suspensions for the obvious Rivaldo type dives do you think that would put an end to this type of gamesmanship? Aside from doing it in a cup final, you might help your team for that game but hurt them for the next.

Thoughts?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How to stop the diving...

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2010 23:53

The real bad and obvious ones can only be addressed retrospectively by means of a game ban. It can also only be done for televised tournaments.

Overall it's a difficult call. Take tonights game and the penalty. Yes the Honduras player caught him on the ankle but did not warrant attacker falling over. Delayed reaction, took a step then fell over = dive.
Penalty?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 22 Jun 2010 01:02

I just want to start with the most blatant offenders. If it is clear from the video that you are faking (no contact, hit another part of the body and you writhe in pain holding your face, etc). Then you are out the next game.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 22 Jun 2010 01:51

What's cheating to one is to another cunning

Short of on-the-spot video replay review and the very real threat of a public beheading for all violators, I throw up my hands

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 22 Jun 2010 06:42

IMO, diving and cheating are part and parcel of the game. We cannot fully prevent it from happening. Besides, everyone cheats sometimes. One example would be Shane Long in the Fa cup against Liverpool. I felt that he went down a bit too easily. But if it is done excessively (eg. Ronaldo) then there must be some action taken.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Jun 2010 08:09

I think I may have offered my solution before, I''m surprised it hasn't caught on.

FIFA need to employ a marksman with a high velocity paintball rifle. When the cheat thinks he's got an advantage by conning the ref, video evidence will be checked and the culprit taken out with a barrage of paintballs.

This has the advantage that the cheat will be wondering if they really got away with it before being publicly humiliated when they're outed as a cheat.

Adds to the crowd entertainment too.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 22 Jun 2010 16:01

Royal_Delight IMO, diving and cheating are part and parcel of the game. We cannot fully prevent it from happening. Besides, everyone cheats sometimes. One example would be Shane Long in the Fa cup against Liverpool. I felt that he went down a bit too easily. But if it is done excessively (eg. Ronaldo) then there must be some action taken.

Not quite correct. I think that diving and cheating are more prevalent the higher up the football pyramid you go. To say that it is 'part and parcel of the game' is way too sweeping a statement and would be a terrible indictment of the game. Do I tell the kids that I coach that is perfectly acceptable to dive and fake injury?

As for action, I think that Draconian measures need to be taken with the use of replay technology. Players who fake injury or clutch their face after a tap on the ankle must know without any doubt that their actions will be caught on screen, scrutinized and punished severely with say, a four, five or six match ban instead of one. Even players who are thicker than dinosaur shit will realize that it is in their own best interests. If nothing is done, then players will continue to do this - because they know that the current system is balanced in favour of the cheats.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Jun 2010 16:06

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2010 17:58

electrodes to be compulsarily attached the genitals of each player. 3 video refs to watch the games and zap any fecker who:

a) dives
b) feigns injury
c) gives lip to the ref
d) is french (for spacey)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2010 18:03

paultheroyal The real bad and obvious ones can only be addressed retrospectively by means of a game ban. It can also only be done for televised tournaments.

Overall it's a difficult call. Take tonights game and the penalty. Yes the Honduras player caught him on the ankle but did not warrant attacker falling over. Delayed reaction, took a step then fell over = dive.
Penalty?

The problem is if you don't go down, you don't get shit, regardless of whether you've been impeded. Likewise unless you've been smacked in the face or go down poleaxed the violent conduct red is almost never given.

It's not just a question of penalising going down easy / simulation, but rewarding doing your damndest to stay up.

Do it by giving pens and freekicks if they are impeded regardless of going down straight away, or at all.

And you should be able to give a freekick / penalty AND give a yellow to the player who went down, for overegging the pudding. Like that guy who was kicked by the African player .. Argentinian? Went down like he was shot and feigned injury until his mate came and told hi the red had been dished out. Then got up fine. Definite red for the kick, but also a yellow for simulation IMO.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 22 Jun 2010 18:07

Thaumagurist*
RoyalChicagoFC What's cheating to one is to another cunning

Cunning? Sorry, it's still cheating whatever anyone wants to call it.

..as you and I would

OTOH, there's a Mediterranean n7ion where the same thing is considered not cheating but an display of cleverness when someone gets away with it

Total World Cups won by that country: 4
Total World Cups won by yours and mine combined: 1

That's not to rationalise anything; it is rather to point out that there is an element of cross-cultural moral relativism that has to be taken into account here, and with particular respect to what --if anything, ever, at all-- gets done about it

From where I sit, it's hard to be optimistic

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2010 18:08

can we compromise by saying it's cunning cheating if you don't get caught, but still cheating.

I don't believe the laws say the ref has to catch you for it to be cheating.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 22 Jun 2010 18:25

::sigh::

CTRL-ALT-DEL

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 22 Jun 2010 19:12

Retrospective punishment.

End of.

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 22 Jun 2010 19:20

a panel of former players should review matches and anyone seen to be diving will be banned for one match. If this happens three times the ban should be five games. if there is contact and he makes the most of it, its hard to prove its a dive, even though it may well be, but any instances of no contact should be punishable by a ban and club fine.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2010 20:17

Urinal Mint a panel of former players should review matches and anyone seen to be diving will be banned for one match. If this happens three times the ban should be five games. if there is contact and he makes the most of it, its hard to prove its a dive, even though it may well be, but any instances of no contact should be punishable by a ban and club fine.

Former players seem to know sweet FA about the rules judging by half the pundits and commentators who are former players.

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 22 Jun 2010 20:50

Ian Royal
Urinal Mint a panel of former players should review matches and anyone seen to be diving will be banned for one match. If this happens three times the ban should be five games. if there is contact and he makes the most of it, its hard to prove its a dive, even though it may well be, but any instances of no contact should be punishable by a ban and club fine.

Former players seem to know sweet FA about the rules judging by half the pundits and commentators who are former players.

they know a lot more than some suit on 300k a year that's never kicked a ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2010 20:53

Urinal Mint
Ian Royal

they know a lot more than some suit on 300k a year that's never kicked a ball.

Here's a thought... former referee's and linesmen who've had to retire from running the pitch... Afterall, they ought to know the laws.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Jun 2010 01:43

Video replays for significant events.

End of.

So oxf*rd easy FFS.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Jun 2010 12:20

Shoot the cheating cvnts. That'll do it!