England vs Germany - THE BUILD UP THREAD

254 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England vs Germany - THE BUILD UP THREAD

by Schards#2 » 24 Jun 2010 09:24

If you ignore penalties, our record against Germany in competitive games isn't that bad:

1966 - 4-2 aet
1970 - 2-3 aet
1982 - 0-0
1990 - 1-1 aet
1996 - 1-1 aet
2000 - 1-0
2001 - 0-1, 5-1

If England play to their ability, they can win this as Germany don't look that great either. Furthermore, Argentina have been under zero pressure so far and, when they are, I don't think Maradona will be tactically astute. How sweet would it be to put Germany AND Argentina out?

boycey

by boycey » 24 Jun 2010 09:26

Schards#2 If you ignore penalties, our record against Germany in competitive games isn't that bad:

1966 - 4-2 aet
1970 - 2-3 aet
1982 - 0-0
1990 - 1-1 aet
1996 - 1-1 aet
2000 - 1-0
2001 - 0-1, 5-1

If England play to their ability, they can win this as Germany don't look that great either. Furthermore, Argentina have been under zero pressure so far and, when they are, I don't think Maradona will be tactically astute. How sweet would it be to put Germany AND Argentina out?

The world cup starts on sunday.
We have nothing to fear from the Germans.

And what will they be saying about the prospects of playing us??
I think the may fear the "wurst".

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Jun 2010 09:26

England have NEVER lost to Germany inside 90mins in a major tournament. FACT

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Jun 2010 09:29

I really have a lot of time for Germany. Great pro's.

I think our World Cup could be over...

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 24 Jun 2010 10:29

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 24 Jun 2010 10:30

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 24 Jun 2010 10:58

Thaumagurist* Australia? Only 4 goals? Come on, Australia? You're kidding? You don't mean that on the basis of that game, Germany's strength is proven?

England 0-0 Algeria

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 24 Jun 2010 11:00

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 24 Jun 2010 11:04

The French surrendered early, the USA arrive last minute and we are left to face the Germans. O'level history revision.

havoc

by havoc » 24 Jun 2010 11:25

Gus the teenage cow the reaction to england scraping through in the worst group in the tournament as if they were world beaters makes me realise why a hell of a lot of people want them to fcuk up....as much as they are overly negative when they lose/draw so they are overly positive when they hold on against a very average side to win 1-0,.....................................England have been incredibly disappointing and should have sailed through that group rather than rely on last-ditch tackles to sneak through in second place, despite all the jingoistic nonsense being spouted all over the place after such a mediocre performance the truth is that England have been awful....

couldn't 'gree more gus. LOLable wanking over the performance on SSN this morning

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jun 2010 11:53

Schards#2 If you ignore penalties, our record against Germany in competitive games isn't that bad:

1966 - 4-2 aet
1970 - 2-3 aet
1982 - 0-0
1990 - 1-1 aet
1996 - 1-1 aet
2000 - 1-0
2001 - 0-1, 5-1

on penaltys, and with a handball goal respectively?

(or would it be even better to score a handball goal, but own up to the ref, then go on to score 5 legitimate goals)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jun 2010 11:57

Gus the teenage cow the reaction to england scraping through in the worst group in the tournament as if they were world beaters makes me realise why a hell of a lot of people want them to fcuk up....as much as they are overly negative when they lose/draw so they are overly positive when they hold on against a very average side to win 1-0,.....................................England have been incredibly disappointing and should have sailed through that group rather than rely on last-ditch tackles to sneak through in second place, despite all the jingoistic nonsense being spouted all over the place after such a mediocre performance the truth is that England have been awful....

couldnt disgree more gus, and genrally lol at this typical small time reaction from an ex colony.
its good to be in the world cup, its good to be in the 2nd round, its good to get to play the germans who dont look unbeatable, and are very inexperienced at this level. its good to hope, its good to believe that its possible that we can improve further, and beat them.
no ones saying we were brilliant, no ones saying we will win the whole thing.just that its now possible.
hurrah to that you bunch of bitter celts

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Jun 2010 12:01

Thaumagurist* Algeria is better than Australia. After all, they beat the African champions to qualify for the WC.

They also drew 0-0 with Rwanda in qualifying, and weren't even in Pot A of African teams at the start of the qualifying tournament. Drawing 0-0 with Algeria is infinitely worse than 'only' beating Australia 4-0. You utter tool.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 24 Jun 2010 12:02

At last, I could hear the England fans over those trumpet things on the radio yesterday against Slovenia. Let`s hope belatedly a few thugs turn up on Sunday and it all kicks off before the game. The war wasn`t won like this, have we gone soft?

havoc

by havoc » 24 Jun 2010 12:05

brendywendy

lol at this typical small time reaction from an ex colony.

ah, THIS is the reason everyone wants Ing-ger-land to fail

brendywendy

you bunch of bitter celts

whatever you say, Brendon :roll:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Jun 2010 12:06

Negative_Jeff At last, I could hear the England fans over those trumpet things on the radio yesterday against Slovenia. Let`s hope belatedly a few thugs turn up on Sunday and it all kicks off before the game. The war wasn`t won like this, have we gone soft?

:lol: Yep, there is that little something missing from this World Cup.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jun 2010 12:10

cmonurz
Thaumagurist* Algeria is better than Australia. After all, they beat the African champions to qualify for the WC.

They also drew 0-0 with Rwanda in qualifying, and weren't even in Pot A of African teams at the start of the qualifying tournament. Drawing 0-0 with Algeria is infinitely worse than 'only' beating Australia 4-0. You utter tool.

that does slightly ignores the repsctive pressures on each game and team.
thats why its so hard to call 1st round games in th eworld cup.

big teams can be under huge pressure and struggle, they often go on to win the cup
small teams can play with freedom, and put in the big performances as a result but eventually go out

i agree
germany beating a 10 man 700 year old aussie team 4 nil >>>>>>>england drawing with algeria in a very tight match, in a tight group against a team who put 11 men behind the ball,

england drawing 1-1 with america>>>>>>germany losing Vs the mighty serbia though

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Jun 2010 12:16

havoc
brendywendy

lol at this typical small time reaction from an ex colony.

ah, THIS is the reason everyone wants Ing-ger-land to fail

brendywendy

you bunch of bitter celts

whatever you say, Brendon :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

keep real names off GF peter , you mutha

& i couldnt give a toss you big monkey! surely everyone wants the other teams to lose, no matter where you are from.
& i would be a bit miffed if the scots and irish started supporting us.thats half the fun surely(all the fun for them since they arent there)
its funny how all the other nations can talk themselves up, and say their here to win it etc, but if we do all of a sudden were being jingoistic. for how much longer must we bow our heads and apologise for our colonial past, eh? eh?

+ im from a family of sad and bitter celts myself, so im well qualified to talk about their sad bitterness.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 24 Jun 2010 12:26

brendywendy scots and irish

*turns out palms, shrugs shoulders*

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Jun 2010 12:27

havoc

couldn't 'gree more gus. LOLable wanking over the performance on SSN this morning

I agree Gus. When SSN were interviewing England fans yesterday they were saying "We can go on and win this now". Just LOL. So many fickle people about. We're the worst team ever one minute, then a win against Slovenia, we're World beaters.

Still, at least we got to the finals eh Gus...

254 posts