England vs Germany - THE BUILD UP THREAD

254 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

England vs Germany - THE BUILD UP THREAD

by floyd__streete » 23 Jun 2010 21:46

I'm looking forward to seeing:

- Tabloid coverage bordering on the offensive.
- Boris f*cking Becker wheeled out by BBC as if he were some sort of adopted British hero.
- News At Ten devoting the first half of their bulletin to England fans crying after our inevitable loss.

boycey

Re: England vs Germany - THE BUILD UP THREAD

by boycey » 23 Jun 2010 21:47

floyd__streete I'm looking forward to seeing:

- Tabloid coverage bordering on the offensive.
- Boris f*cking Becker wheeled out by BBC as if he were some sort of adopted British hero.
- News At Ten devoting the first half of their bulletin to England fans crying after our inevitable loss.

and we wouldnt want it any other way.
Literally lovely stuff.
Cant wait.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Jun 2010 21:48

^ Fair point.

I am also looking forward to a load of irrelevant hyperbole about England improving as tournaments go on, as if we've ever beaten the likes of Brazil, Germany or Argentina in knock out tournament football in the last forty-odd years.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 23 Jun 2010 21:49

- penalty shoot-outs being shown...with studio guests...Southgate, Waddle and Batty :lol: in every game from now til Sunday :roll:

boycey

by boycey » 23 Jun 2010 21:52

Best thing that could happen.
Lose and we get knocked out by a good team.

Win.... well then my friends..... it suddenly becomes very interesting.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2010 22:00

On the plus side I'm guaranteed a team in the quarter finals and to support the winner of the game on Sunday.

On the minus side I'm guaranteed only one team in the quarter finals and to support the loser on Sunday. :|

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 23 Jun 2010 22:04

Can we have a poll on which town centre gets trashed first in the inevitable event of losing on pens?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Jun 2010 22:25

At full time....

Ian Royal England 0:4 Germany I told you so

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 23 Jun 2010 22:30

Ark Royal Can we have a poll on which town centre gets trashed first in the inevitable event of losing on pens?

I predict that a Serbian/Russian/Bulgarian will get stabbed in Essex after being mistaken for a German.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 23 Jun 2010 22:31

floyd__streete - Tabloid coverage bordering on the offensive.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 23 Jun 2010 22:48

the reaction to england scraping through in the worst group in the tournament as if they were world beaters makes me realise why a hell of a lot of people want them to fcuk up....as much as they are overly negative when they lose/draw so they are overly positive when they hold on against a very average side to win 1-0, no doubt the likes of spacey will call me bitter coz Ireland aren't there but WITH THE PLAYERS AT THEIR DISPOSAL, England have been incredibly disappointing and should have sailed through that group rather than rely on last-ditch tackles to sneak through in second place, despite all the jingoistic nonsense being spouted all over the place after such a mediocre performance the truth is that England have been awful.....because of the incompetence of England and France you will see one of the following four in the semi finals, uruguay, ghana, usa, mexico, four distinctly average sides ...yet when one of them reaches the semi-final or indeed final the french and english press will be the most scathing about the merits of the team that does make it, little realising that it was their own sides shortcomings that opened the loophole for whichever of those four gets lucky

if schweinsteiger is injured, england have a chance as germany are light in the middle but the sheer objective fact is that germany have been much more impressive than england so far and should win, and even if england do win they'll no doubt lose in a tough quarter-final and they only have themselves to blame, if they had won that easy peasy group they'd already be almost certain to be semi-finalists but now despite all the amateur football fans jumping up and down they are all but out
Last edited by Gus the teenage cow on 24 Jun 2010 00:03, edited 2 times in total.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 23 Jun 2010 23:05

Ich nichten lichten...

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 23 Jun 2010 23:14

not really that bothered by germany to be honest. they're nothing like the team they were in 96, certainly nothing to fear this time. if anything i think germany is the perfect draw for us. there's always an edge to it, and they will be up for it, as will both sets of fans. roll on sunday!

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 23 Jun 2010 23:23

Great atmosphere in town tonight. I will wear a German shirt on Sunday but have promised a good friend that if England win, I will wear an England shirt for the rest of the tournament.

I have to admit I screamed and screamed and screamed at the TV when Özil scored.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Jun 2010 23:25

Gus the teenage cow the reaction to england scraping through in the worst group in the tournament as if they were world beaters makes me realise why a hell of a lot of people want them to fcuk up.

LOL at this - at least 80% of the callers on 606 straight after the game were not reacting as if England were "world beaters". :lol:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Jun 2010 23:29

Not many (apart from the standard bandwagon jumpers) have suddenly said England are world class. They should have won the group easy, but England aren't the only favourite to have struggled so far. They were much improved today in a really challenging game. As much mental as physical.

I actually believe it's a benefit to these players to have these tough games, because when England play mediocre sides they never ever play well. Complacency kicks in and suddenly they are passionless tossers. Can't tell me Terry, James, Gerrard, Rooney etc don't care. As ever with football lesser teams raise their game on the big stage and if the favourite isn't at it then upsets or shocks can happen.

or England to prgress they have to be at their best now and I think that is a much better situation for this group of players.

P.S the inevitable German bashing, ten bombers etc utter shite that will spew out over the next days will be horrendous and embarassing as ever. Grow up you retards.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Jun 2010 23:32

Alan Partridge ten bombers etc utter shite that will spew out over the next days will be horrendous and embarassing as ever. Grow up you retards.

Started on New at Ten tonight - interviewed an England fan and he dropped in the "Ten German bombers" line. Good old ITV :lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jun 2010 23:39

boycey Best thing that could happen.
Lose and we get knocked out by a good team.

Win.... well then my friends..... it suddenly becomes very interesting.

Not really, it'll be the Argies next.

But win, and it just becomes bloody marvellous. :mrgreen:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jun 2010 23:40

T.R.O.L.I.
Gus the teenage cow the reaction to england scraping through in the worst group in the tournament as if they were world beaters makes me realise why a hell of a lot of people want them to fcuk up.

LOL at this - at least 80% of the callers on 606 straight after the game were not reacting as if England were "world beaters". :lol:

^^ This.

It's absolutely hilarious how often people will trot out the 'England think they are world-beaters' line with no basis whatsoever.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jun 2010 00:03

cmonurz
T.R.O.L.I.

^^ This.

It's absolutely hilarious how often people will trot out the 'England think they are world-beaters' line with no basis whatsoever.

^^ this

254 posts