The Non - League thread

10507 posts
AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Non - League thread 2010/11

by AndyRFC » 25 Mar 2011 02:47

TBF when we stacked it v Staines in September I called it. Not good enough. JeffeROFLson LOLouis

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 25 Mar 2011 16:21

Alan Partridge
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I actually saw them draw with last-placed St Albans on Saturday, and it wasn't in any way flattering to St Albans. I'm not surprised they lost tonight.

Starting to look good for Farnborough, but I've heard rumours that the money has long since run out at the club, and even if they do go up, "survival" could mean rather more than trying to finish above 22nd.

You'd have thought a club forced to fold due to spending above your means might have learnt some lessons. The money they were throwing around last season was ridiculous. I imagine it's the same this season.

got to love a half-finished stand which wouldn't look out of place (with seats and a roof) in L1

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 26 Mar 2011 04:03

Wax Jacket
Alan Partridge
Rev Algenon Stickleback H I actually saw them draw with last-placed St Albans on Saturday, and it wasn't in any way flattering to St Albans. I'm not surprised they lost tonight.

Starting to look good for Farnborough, but I've heard rumours that the money has long since run out at the club, and even if they do go up, "survival" could mean rather more than trying to finish above 22nd.

You'd have thought a club forced to fold due to spending above your means might have learnt some lessons. The money they were throwing around last season was ridiculous. I imagine it's the same this season.

got to love a half-finished stand which wouldn't look out of place (with seats and a roof) in L1

The reason it's half finished is because the period given for the planning permission was due to run out. The club faced the option of letting the planning permission expire and having to go through the process and costs involved with reapplying or build what they could with the funds available. It currently isn't much of a problem that the stand isn't finished as the crowds aren't large enough and at that level segregation isn't required, although that could change if they get promoted.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Mar 2011 19:02

Alan Partridge

Went and watched Diddy on Tuesday they were pretty dump, Hemel got a couple of lads i recognised and were quite handy. They've got at least 3 ex Windsor players including the superbly named Fiston Manuella playing there.

Fiston is one of the nicest guys I have met.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 26 Mar 2011 23:14

FA Vase Semi Finals first legs Coalville 3 Kings Lynn 0 Poole Town 1 Whitley Bay 2

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Mar 2011 06:58

.. and belatedly :oops: the 'other' NL results affecting our 'local' sides...

CONFS
Braintree 3-1 Maidenhead Utd
Bromley 1-2 Hampton & Richmond
Basingstoke 0-2 Havant and W
Dartford 3-0 Lewes
Farnborough 2-0 Weston-S-Mare
Eastleigh 4-1 Woking
St Albans 0-2 Thurrock

ISTH1S
Dulwich Hamlet 6-0 Fleet Town
Godalming Town 0-0 Faversham Town

SOUTHP
Banbury United 2-0 Bedford Town
Chippenham Town 1-0 Chesham United
Cirencester Town 3-0 Weymouth
Halesowen 0-3 Truro City
Leamington 2-1 Didcot Town
Salisbury A-A Brackley Ab waterlogged @ 3-2
Swindon Supermarine 0-2 Cambridge City
SOUTH1C
Ashford Town (Middx) 0-3 Arlesey Town
Aylesbury 3-0 Burnham
Biggleswade Town 2-1 Beaconsfield SYCOB
Hitchin Town 2-0 AFC Hayes
Marlow 0-5 Barton Rovers
North Greenford United 0-3 Daventry Town
Slough Town 2-1 Bedworth United
Uxbridge 3-1 Leighton Town
SOUTH1S&W
AFC Totton 3-1 Cinderford Town
Bridgwater Town 0-5 Yate Town – opener from Meaker 5’
Paulton Rovers 3-4 North Leigh
Sholing 2-0 Almondsbury Town
Thatcham Town 2-0 Hungerford Town

COCOP
Chertsey Town 1-3 Mole Valley SCR
Chessington & Hook United 1-2 Bookham
Colliers Wood United 1-2 Camberley Town
Croydon 1-2 Badshot Lea
Dorking 1-3 Cove
Egham Town 0-1 Hanworth Villa
Horley Town 1-1 Guildford City
Molesey 4-1 Ash United
Sandhurst Town 2-2 Banstead Athletic
COCO1
CB Hounslow United 1-4 Hartley Wintney
Cobham 3-0 Farnborough North End
Feltham 2-2 Knaphill
Frimley Green 2-1 Chobham
Hayes Gate 1-3 Bedfont Sports
Sheerwater 2-1 Eversley
South Park 1-2 Staines Lammas
Westfield 1-3 Farleigh Rovers
Worcester Park 7-1 Warlingham

HELLP
Abingdon Town 0-3 Wantage Town –‘ Freds’ now pull clear in 2nd place with games in hand on leaders Ardley who were involved in the league cup (W1-0 @ Slimbridge)
Binfield 0-2 Highworth Town - reportedly the 'Moles' looked knackered after their midweek successes.
Bracknell Town 3-2 Kidlington – another big upset in favour of the 'Robins' – Kiddy reportedly led 0-2
Carterton 6-2 Pegasus Juniors
Flackwell Heath 1-1 Shortwood United
Old Woodstock Town 1-2 Fairford Town
Oxford City Nomads 1-2 Wokingham & Emmbrook
Reading Town 2-1 Wootton Bassett Town - 2 wins in a row eases RTFC plight ahead of next two games away at 1st and 2nd placed sides.
Witney United 0-1 Shrivenham - BlanketBoys drop into the bottom 4
HELL1E
Finchampstead 2-4 Rayners Lane
S.Kilburn 1-2 Holyport
Hellenic Supplementary Challenge Cup R2
Cricklade Town 1-2 Woodley Town
Hellenic Supplementary Challenge Cup R3
Newbury 2-3 Purton
Penn & Tylers Green 0-1 Thame Utd

Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup Final
Chalfont Wasps 3-0 Didcot Casuals att 160+ decent sized crowd shame it wasn't warmer
@ NEWPORT PAGNELL TOWN FC

I was at this one with the youngest - he chose it as it was a Cup Final :) - even contest for 60'+ but once Wasps got in front they were very comfortable winners against their lower-placed opponents from the N.Berks league. Casuals now have an incredible 7 games in hand on league leaders Lambourn Sports having led the league I think back in October?

WESS1
Ringwood Town 0-0 Fleet Spurs
Verwood Town 4-1 Tadley Calleva
Whitchurch United 3-4 Horndean

... promise to try harder next w/e to get a Preview out earlier - mind you it's an RFC home match so I've other things to sort out. i.e. whose getting use of our eldests' ST since he's involved in some Violin recital in the PM.

bonzodogdodaband

by bonzodogdodaband » 27 Mar 2011 14:44

Normally go to the odd NL game each season. Met up with a friend and we took in Salisbury v Brackley on a glorious sunny day until Half Time when the heavens opened and it pissed it down. At 3 - 2 to Salisbury game was abandoned on 83minutes. Pitch was clearly unplayable but should they have played the last 7 mins. Driving back home 5 miles out of Salisbury no rain at all. Barry Quinn ex ROI international played for Brackley but was fairly anonymous.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Mar 2011 02:17

Went to Waterside Park, Thatcham for the West Berkshire Derby. Got the train in, arrived about 1pm, cracking pub just over the road (The Swan), Doom Bar, don't mind if I do. The game was fairly even but Thatcham dictated the pace and deservedly led at half time. Hungerford (who's coaching staff in the technical area included one Michael Gilkes) brought on a striker at half time and immediately looked a much better team as he held the ball up very well, but against the run of play Thatcham got a second after a scuffed shot from 20 yards fell to Thatcham's number 9 who tucked it away. Big changearound in fortune for Thatcham since the reverse fixture in January, Thatcham were 9th before the start of play compared to Hungerford's 5th, while back in January Thatcham were very much in a relegation battle. They looked a much better side this time around, obviously playing with confidence.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Mar 2011 02:26

Was it Mitchell Bryant that Gilksie brought on?

One time on Readings books, scored 6 in one game for Basingstoke last season, (iirc) plays for Hungerford and is currently getting sued by Banbury United for falsifying his documents and earning the Puritans a points deduction

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 28 Mar 2011 02:40

Four Of Clubs .. and belatedly :oops: the 'other' NL results affecting our 'local' sides...

Bracknell Town 3-2 Kidlington – another big upset in favour of the 'Robins' – Kiddy reportedly led 0-2

Yep - first half was all Kiddy and they were good for their 2-0 lead at half time. Then Bracknell made a substitution and changed formation to put 3 up front, and it was a different match. Bracknell's number 6 scored from a corner after about 60 minutes, and then did exactly the same about 45 seconds later!

After that it was a textbook example of a team losing their discipline and losing their rag, as Kiddy got more and more rattled and wound up. Bracknell came close to scoring several times, not least when a Kiddy defender panicked in his own area and wellied the ball "clear" when facing the wrong way so the ball hit his own post, but it bounced the wrong side and out for a corner. Bracknell did put a chance away to go 3-2 up ten minutes from the end, and after that all hell let loose.

A Bracknell player was shielding the ball by the corner flag when the Kiddy winger (who clearly had the red mist) literally sprinted 80 yards at full tilt and scythed straight through him at knee height for a red card and sparking a mass-brawl. Honestly, it would have been rejected for the Vinny Jones "Football Thugs" DVDs as being too brutal!

When play was restored there were a couple of nasty off-the-ball incidents from Kiddy players as well as some juice verbal fisticuffs from their bench which nearly turned into the real thing. They'd lost the plot just as much as their team.

Great stuff, and all for a fiver!

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 29 Mar 2011 23:14

Away 1-1 draws for Didcot at Hednesford and Maidenhead at Hampton and Richmond. Both creditable results despite both teams taking the lead in their matches but the point is much more use to Didcot than it is to Maidenhead, who to be honest look doomed anyway.

4-2 away win for Farnborough at Boreham Wood taking them to within one point of the leaders Braintree in the Blue Square South table with both sides now having seven matches to play.

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 29 Mar 2011 23:56

Elmer Park 4-2 away win for Farnborough at Boreham Wood taking them to within one point of the leaders Braintree in the Blue Square South table with both sides now having seven matches to play.

Another good win for the Boro and they really have the momentum now. I just fear that their tough run in, in particular the next five games, will cause them to drop a few too many points to take first place.

Remaining fixtures are:

Farnborough
Bromley (h) 10th
Eastleigh (a) 8th
Welling (a) 3rd
Chelmsford (a) 5th
Woking (h) 6th
Dorchester (a) 16th
Thurrock (h) 19th

Braintree
Dorchester (h) 16th
Boreham Wood (a) 17th
Bromley (a) 10th
Havant and Waterlooville (h) 9th
Hampton and Richmond (a) 15th
Welling (h) 3rd
Weston Super Mare (a) 12th

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 30 Mar 2011 12:58

Last night it was Bracknell Town 0 - 3 Ascot United in the Hellenic Premiere and as far as we know the first ever competitive match between the 2 clubs (junior and youth excepted).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Mar 2011 18:05

Royal Rother OMG - Andover won tonight. First points in months!

Strange week for North Leigh: 3 away games in a week, 2 cracking wins at Bideford and Sholing and an 8-0 defeat at Frome sandwiched in between.

In their 2 games since the above game they've been 2-0 down after 25 mins but ended up winning 4-3 away, and 3-0 down at home after 26 mins only to win 6-3.

They only get 60 - 70 fans to their home games (and a bunch of 7 or 8 noisy teenagers with a drum to the away games) but they must have had some fun recently!!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Mar 2011 20:21

Terminal Boardom
Alan Partridge

Went and watched Diddy on Tuesday they were pretty dump, Hemel got a couple of lads i recognised and were quite handy. They've got at least 3 ex Windsor players including the superbly named Fiston Manuella playing there.

Fiston is one of the nicest guys I have met.

Never met the guy, but what im reliably told about him is pretty much the opposite of "nice"!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Mar 2011 21:07

He was pretty much a gent whilst at Windsor but he definitely has a Red Mist somewhere close overhead and it has descended in the past with extremely severe consequences for him and, as I understand it, on more than one occasion, for someone in close proximity at the time...

Those consequences (for him ar least) range from 3 months to 3 years depending on which report / rumour you take as gospel.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Apr 2011 13:22

I was referring to off the pitch rather than on it. :oops:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Apr 2011 20:21

AthleticoSpizz Was it Mitchell Bryant that Gilksie brought on?

One time on Readings books, scored 6 in one game for Basingstoke last season, (iirc) plays for Hungerford and is currently getting sued by Banbury United for falsifying his documents and earning the Puritans a points deduction
That'll be a no (or don't know) I take it then handbags.........

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Apr 2011 01:33

Terminal Boardom I was referring to off the pitch rather than on it. :oops:

No need for an :oops: mate; you've chatted with him which is more than the rest of us have! Speak as you find is better than rumour and heresay. (But he has been sent off quite a lot in his career...!) :wink:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Apr 2011 14:22

Slightly earlier at getting a (P)Review out this week - least it got posted just before the games were played ! :oops:

No 'twiddly bits though sorry ...... taking our youngest to the M'Stad this PM so the other half has kindly offered to take us as far as Bennet Rd. 8)

.... 'Local' NL Interest this PM:

CONFS
Basingstoke v Ebbsfleet United
Braintree Town v Dorchester
Dover v Bishop's Stortford
Farnborough v Bromley
Hampton & Richmond v Boreham Wood
Havant and W v Chelmsford
Lewes v Maidenhead Utd
St Albans v Dartford
Staines Town v Eastleigh
Thurrock v Weston-S-Mare