The Non - League thread

10440 posts
double d

Re: The Non - League thread

by double d » 08 Jan 2018 15:27

Fa Vase is really dominated by northern clubs isn't it. I think in the last 10 years only one southern team has won it.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Jan 2018 15:38

That's one of the problems with NL football - the clubs in the North East tend to avoid applying for promotion as the travelling far outweighs any benefit of going up. Flackwell Heath also withdrew their application a couple of years back as they were placed in the SL South & West which meant extra long journeys compared to had they been placed in South & Central.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 08 Jan 2018 16:18

Terminal Boardom That's one of the problems with NL football - the clubs in the North East tend to avoid applying for promotion as the travelling far outweighs any benefit of going up. Flackwell Heath also withdrew their application a couple of years back as they were placed in the SL South & West which meant extra long journeys compared to had they been placed in South & Central.

South Shields bucked the trend last season by going up to the Northern Premier Div 1N, but the list of recent Vase winners - and finalists - is just totally dominated by NE clubs.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jan 2018 18:31

Sutekh Possible trip to Newcastle and Paul Brayson :shock: - you’d think they’d try to retain regionalisation for as long as possible

Reckon it looks bright for Windsor and Thatcham

As a matter of interest what sort of financial rewards do clubs get for progressing through the FA Vase rounds?

I think Thatcham have quite a tricky draw there, one of last seasons beaten semi-finalists and a phoenix club which I guess gives them some top facilities, supporter base and finances.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/fa-vase/more/prize-fund

£30k for the winners, £20k for the runners up and a total of £4,125 in prize money for getting this far.

In terms of gate receipts, I'm pretty sure the clubs take an equal share of the profit from the game after the home club take off the costs of putting it on. Those costs will include any travel expenses the away team claim too, so a trip to Newcastle for Bracknell would potentially come out of the gate receipts.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Jan 2018 11:47

There is also a £50k grant from the sponsors Buildbase that clubs can apply for. One grant per competition so that's one from the Vase and one from the Trophy. Clubs have until this Sunday to apply. The best 6 from each competition will be invited to Wembley Stadium to give a presentation based on what the money will be used for.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jan 2018 14:25

This indicates £6k so far.... (I can’t do tables on here but....)

Round. Winning club Losing club
First Round Qualifying (220) £550 £175
Second Round Qualifying (170) £725 £250
First Round Proper (101) £825 £275
Second Round Proper (64) £900 £300
Third Round Proper (32) £1,125 £375
Fourth Round Proper (16) £1,875 £625
Fifth Round Proper (8) £2,250 £750
Sixth Round Proper (4) £4,125 £1,375
Semi-Final (2) £5,500 £1,750
Final (1) £30,000 £20,000

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/fa-va ... prize-fund

Edit - oh it’s already been done....

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 09 Jan 2018 22:21

Burnham deducted 3pts for playing Ziel Browne against Lydney in early December. I did mention in an earlier post about ringers playing for Burnham in place of signed on players. They really didn’t need this, but it is of their own making.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2018 10:08

peterroyal76 Burnham deducted 3pts for playing Ziel Browne against Lydney in early December. I did mention in an earlier post about ringers playing for Burnham in place of signed on players. They really didn’t need this, but it is of their own making.

Couldn't a 3 point deduction for using a ringer actually be seen as lenient?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 10 Jan 2018 12:02

Sutekh
peterroyal76 Burnham deducted 3pts for playing Ziel Browne against Lydney in early December. I did mention in an earlier post about ringers playing for Burnham in place of signed on players. They really didn’t need this, but it is of their own making.

Couldn't a 3 point deduction for using a ringer actually be seen as lenient?

We call it a ringer I think they call it registration issues! It may have been a genuine registration issue, but I know they have played people they shouldn’t have.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 10 Jan 2018 18:09

... and Bracknell hang on against a very late onslaught at Larges Lane last night to advance to the last 16 of the Vase.

Visitors Blackfield & Langley were somewhat disappointing on the night as the 'Robins' were comfortably 2 up by H/T.
- they evidently didn't play to their strengths on the 'carpet' but eventually (probably out of desperation) threw enough forward and appeared to find their feet. (if that's not too 'contortional' :mrgreen: )
Got a consolation penalty about 10' from time but Bracknell managed to 'throttle' them in midfield and played out the rest of the game with few real alarms

here are the Vase 5th Round draw - Dates & Odds after last night's replay

01 Wolverhampton S.C. (WMP 10) v Leighton Town (SMP 9)
02 Thatcham Town (HELP 9) v Bromsgrove Sporting (MIDP 9)
03 Marske United (NL1 9) or Hinckley (MID1 10) v Newport (IoW) (WXSP 9) or Bradford Town (WSTP 9)
04 Newcastle Benfield (NL1 9) or Coleshill Town (MIDP 9) v Bracknell Town (HELP 9)
05 1874 Northwich (NWCP 9) v Chichester City (SCP 9)
06 Stockton Town (NL1 9) v Stourport Swifts (MIDP 9)
07 Windsor (HELP 9) v Hamble Club (WSXP 9)
08 Melksham Town (WSTP 9) v Tring Athletic (SMP 9)

Fifth Round - 3rd February
Quarter-Finals - 24th February
Semi-Finals (1st Legs) - 17th March
Semi-Finals (2nd Legs) - 24th March
Final - 20th May

Betting
4 Marske United
6 Bromsgrove Sporting
8 Bracknell Town
10 Stockton Town, 1874 Northwich
14 Newcastle Benfield
16 Wolverhampton S.C.
20 Chichester City, Coleshill Town, Hamble Club, Melksham Town, Stourport Swifts, Thatcham Town
25 Leighton Town
33 Tring Athletic, Windsor
40 Hinckley
50 Bradford Town, Newport (IoW)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...elsewhere on Tue:

SL One East: Chalfont St P drew 0-0 with Fleet Town
SL One West: Nor Lye thumped 1-4 at Eynsham Pk by Yate
SL League Cup Marlow won 3-1 at Basingstoke
Aldershot Senior Cup Hartley Wintney romped to 4-0 success at Chertsey

... and in the delayed B&B Cup tie holders Maidenhead Utd went out 4-5 on pens at York Rd to Chesham after a 3-3 draw ...Generals now travel to The Loop to face Diddy in the Q-Fs - at a date yet to be confirmed.

- in the Hellenic Prem - Ascot drew 2-2 with Flackwell Heath - 'Yellamen' 2 up very early on but 'Heathens' fought back for a point despite being reduced to 10 men.

Tonight (Wed) the only meaningful action locally saw Farnborough edge Banbury 1-0 at Cherrywood Rd.

Cup ties at Kidlington (Oxon Sen) & Highworth (Hellenic Floodlit) were postponed/Abandoned respectively due to Fog - lucky I opted to 'sofa' it tonight.

For those nearby who want to risk it, tomorrow night (Thu 11th) sees a Southamption Senior Cup Q-F Tie scheduled for a 19:45 KO at the Simplyhealth City Ground (formally known as Denplan) where Winchester City play host to a Southampton XI [Adults £5 u-16s Free] 8)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2018 08:47

Bracknell now one win away from their best ever Vase showing which was a 6-0 stuffing at Great Yarmouth in the QFs back in 1983 or 1984.

Going to be really tough for them to equal that though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 09:56

Sutekh Bracknell now one win away from their best ever Vase showing which was a 6-0 stuffing at Great Yarmouth in the QFs back in 1983 or 1984.

Very proud of the team. I know the Chairman fairly well and the club are really going places. It may take a few years but with the investment going in they could easily be where Maidenhead are in under 10 years which would be huge for the town.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jan 2018 11:15

Interesting betting on the FA Vase.

I would say the best 3 teams left in it are Marske, Sporting Bromsgrove and Coleshill. (Ive got the Northern and Midland leagues down as the strongest step 5 divisions). The latter are one round behind, but they are 25/1. That's if you can get a bet on.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2018 13:45

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh Bracknell now one win away from their best ever Vase showing which was a 6-0 stuffing at Great Yarmouth in the QFs back in 1983 or 1984.

Very proud of the team. I know the Chairman fairly well and the club are really going places. It may take a few years but with the investment going in they could easily be where Maidenhead are in under 10 years which would be huge for the town.

Agreed, the new chap in there has turned things round really well after the slow decline of the decade before and getting the new pitch and facilities sorted was just what was needed for the short term future of the club. Think would still need to relocate completely for anything beyond the Southern or Isthmian leagues but just being able to walk again is something to be proud of.

Wonder how may Bracknell fans will make the trip to Newcastle Benfield...

More important for them to rack the wins up in the Hellenic league though so they have chance of promotion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 13:58

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

Agreed, the new chap in there has turned things round really well after the slow decline of the decade before and getting the new pitch and facilities sorted was just what was needed for the short term future of the club. Think would still need to relocate completely for anything beyond the Southern or Isthmian leagues but just being able to walk again is something to be proud of.

Wonder how may Bracknell fans will make the trip to Newcastle Benfield...

More important for them to rack the wins up in the Hellenic league though so they have chance of promotion.

I was lucky enough to see a sneak preview of their potential new home a while ago, impressive stuff. Good thing is they aren't even talking about turning pro or getting in the Football League like a lot of clubs around there sort of level do. The Chairman is realistic and theres no pressure at all which is how you want to be at that level. A slow build will always win at non-league level imo.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jan 2018 16:01

Old Man Andrews I was lucky enough to see a sneak preview of their potential new home a while ago, impressive stuff. Good thing is they aren't even talking about turning pro or getting in the Football League like a lot of clubs around there sort of level do. The Chairman is realistic and theres no pressure at all which is how you want to be at that level. A slow build will always win at non-league level imo.

Perhaps you could just support them full time and then you wouldn't have to bother all of us lot on here with your mad ramblings about Reading FC

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Jan 2018 19:28

No pressure?

Not sure about that. I know a guy who knows the manager and he has said that he’s enjoying it there but is fully aware what will happen if he doesn’t get the results demanded.

Bracknell are clearly the best team I’ve seen in the Hellenic this season but promotion (which is rather important if they are to justify the substantial wage bill I’d have thought) is far from certain.

Good luck to them but I could still see this all going pear shaped pretty rapidly.

(PS You refer to “lots of clubs around their level” but I can’t remember any club in Step 9 of the Pyramid ever talking about going full time or getting into the Football League - must have missed that!)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 20:28

John Smith
Old Man Andrews I was lucky enough to see a sneak preview of their potential new home a while ago, impressive stuff. Good thing is they aren't even talking about turning pro or getting in the Football League like a lot of clubs around there sort of level do. The Chairman is realistic and theres no pressure at all which is how you want to be at that level. A slow build will always win at non-league level imo.

Perhaps you could just support them full time and then you wouldn't have to bother all of us lot on here with your mad ramblings about Reading FC

Does your carer know you use the internet when they aren't looking?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2018 22:14

Royal Rother No pressure?

Not sure about that. I know a guy who knows the manager and he has said that he’s enjoying it there but is fully aware what will happen if he doesn’t get the results demanded.

Bracknell are clearly the best team I’ve seen in the Hellenic this season but promotion (which is rather important if they are to justify the substantial wage bill I’d have thought) is far from certain.

Good luck to them but I could still see this all going pear shaped pretty rapidly.

(PS You refer to “lots of clubs around their level” but I can’t remember any club in Step 9 of the Pyramid ever talking about going full time or getting into the Football League - must have missed that!)

I'm sure there was more to it than just a couple of iffy results but I'm pretty sure Mark Tallentire wouldn't agree with the no pressure line.

As for the going full time and Football League ambitions. Unless you're a phoenix club who is having to start at the very bottom I can't imagine any clubs at that level even whisper that kind of ambition.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jan 2018 07:22

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother No pressure?

I'm sure there was more to it than just a couple of iffy results but I'm pretty sure Mark Tallentire wouldn't agree with the no pressure line.

As for the going full time and Football League ambitions. Unless you're a phoenix club who is having to start at the very bottom I can't imagine any clubs at that level even whisper that kind of ambition.

They certainly have no immediate ambitions.

When I said lots of clubs around their level having crazy ambitions I was referring to clubs such as Billericay who make a mockery of non-league football. I believe they need something like 2000 per home game according to their owner and manager in order to be sustainable and "go to the next level". I know they are a different level to Bracknell, should have made it clearer what I meant by "clubs around them".

I have no proof of this but I think there were team selection issues with Tallentire and a big row after the last game of last season which resulted in the split.

10440 posts