Emile Heskey tribute thread

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Emile Heskey tribute thread

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jul 2010 16:45

So why give Heskey the abuse? Is it because elements of the print media choose to do so and a number of people follow like sheep? I think that we could still have played 442 had we played Crouch instead of Heskey and possibly produced better performances.

Y21 is also spot on with the inference to inflexible tactics. One of the reasons we had a good second halfto last season, I believe, is because the players were easily adapted to play in either a 442 or a 433/4231 type system. Flexibility was introduced.

Or is it because there are just not enough good quality English players about? lampard looks good for Chelsea because he has Drogba in front of him and Ballack/Essien/whoever alongside. gerrard looked great for Liverpool when he had Torres in front and Alonso alongside/behind. Would a different man in charge of the national team have done any better? I don't think so.

Sure Heskey has not scored enough goals in his career but he must have been doing something right to have been selected so many times.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 Jul 2010 16:47

It was odd - my memory of his qualifying campaign was that he got players to essentially play a 4-2-3-1 Gerrard away from Lampard etc

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 15 Jul 2010 16:49

papereyes It was odd - my memory of his qualifying campaign was that he got players to essentially play a 4-2-3-1 Gerrard away from Lampard etc

but then froze in the finals - although that wasn't the only big decision that he ducked during the tournament

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 15 Jul 2010 16:57

Terminal Boardom So why give Heskey the abuse? Is it because elements of the print media choose to do so and a number of people follow like sheep? I think that we could still have played 442 had we played Crouch instead of Heskey and possibly produced better performances.

Y21 is also spot on with the inference to inflexible tactics. One of the reasons we had a good second halfto last season, I believe, is because the players were easily adapted to play in either a 442 or a 433/4231 type system. Flexibility was introduced.

Or is it because there are just not enough good quality English players about? lampard looks good for Chelsea because he has Drogba in front of him and Ballack/Essien/whoever alongside. gerrard looked great for Liverpool when he had Torres in front and Alonso alongside/behind. Would a different man in charge of the national team have done any better? I don't think so.

Sure Heskey has not scored enough goals in his career but he must have been doing something right to have been selected so many times.

First you started off by suggesting there was no better alternatives to Heskey, but now you're saying we would've done better by playing Crouch rather than him...

England's problem is that the last three managers we've had have all pretty much picked exactly the same side playing in exactly the same way. There is no way to differentiate between them other than McLaren's 3-5-2 against Croatia which failed due to only being introduced for one game (the most important one of the qualifiers).

Capello played a suitable formation to get us to the World Cup but ditched it at the last minute. The reason Heskey was then picked for the main competition is because he was arguably the best partner for Rooney seeing as his hands were tied for deciding to play with two strikers.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 15 Jul 2010 18:04

Fair play to Heskey. He may have failed this summer in the World Cup but he came home, donned a skirt and won Wimbledon.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jul 2010 20:01

Thomas L'Heureux
Terminal Boardom So why give Heskey the abuse? Is it because elements of the print media choose to do so and a number of people follow like sheep? I think that we could still have played 442 had we played Crouch instead of Heskey and possibly produced better performances.

First you started off by suggesting there was no better alternatives to Heskey, but now you're saying we would've done better by playing Crouch rather than him...

England's problem is that the last three managers we've had have all pretty much picked exactly the same side playing in exactly the same way. There is no way to differentiate between them other than McLaren's 3-5-2 against Croatia which failed due to only being introduced for one game (the most important one of the qualifiers).

Capello played a suitable formation to get us to the World Cup but ditched it at the last minute. The reason Heskey was then picked for the main competition is because he was arguably the best partner for Rooney seeing as his hands were tied for deciding to play with two strikers.

I think you will find that I said that by selecting PringleMan we may have
possibly produced better performances
. As the last 3 managers have all picked pretty much the same players, what does that say about the strength in depth? Where is the competition? The Premier League was created to make the national side better. How did that work out then?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jul 2010 20:29

Terminal Boardom
Hoop Blah Doesn't matter who it is I never like it when a player retires from international football

Well said HB. Representing your country is the biggest honour going. To then turn your back is wrong and should be regarded as a form of treason. To me it smacks of arrogance and this is regardless of the sport. For once, I have to side with Beckham and his approach to representing his country.

I think it sometimes coincides with age and a drop in form and to save the embarrassment of being dropped as was the case with Scholes.
I'm not sure that I follow your point about Beckham and his approach to representing his country.
Is this not a player who has been unfit but still played for England so that he can collect a few more caps and as for the bollocks about playing in the Olympics (for the good of a young team?) and the next World Cup and choosing to deny that he would be interested in being the next England manager-what a load of publicity tosh all over again.
Back to Heskey-a good trier and a player with a better touch and passing range than many give him credit for but you can't have a player in the side just to try and make Rooney's job easier-he has to do more than that and it is time for him and some of those other losers to move aside,i.e Heskey,Terry,Upson and Beckham for starters.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 15 Jul 2010 21:05

Terminal Boardom The Premier League was created to make the national side better. How did that work out then?

Really ?

I can't believe that !!!!!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jul 2010 21:19

I thought Scholes quit international football as he was pissed off at being asked to play on the left instead of in his club position.

Sure Beckham was talking in soundbite but at least he comes across as sincere. He will never turn his back on representing his country - whether he will or not is another matter. Personally, I think his day has passed.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jul 2010 21:22

Sun Tzu
Terminal Boardom The Premier League was created to make the national side better. How did that work out then?

Really ?

I can't believe that !!!!!

Not the sole reason but certainly used as an argument for it to happen.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 16 Jul 2010 00:44

soggy biscuit Fair play to Heskey. He may have failed this summer in the World Cup but he came home, donned a skirt and won Wimbledon.

First time I laid eyes on him eight years ago, my first thought was of Sonny Liston

The intervening years, while not unkind, haven't improved matters

Anyway, best of luck to the man --and for a significantly better outcome than that which befell Sonny Liston, fo' shizz

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 Jul 2010 04:40

Emile Heskey's 62 caps -

More than Hoddle, Gazza, Beardsley, Sheringham, Des Walker,

Same amount as David Platt and Chris Waddle

One less than Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Jul 2010 09:20

Y21_Royal
Thomas L'Heureux I completely and utterly disagree with you.

Out of all of the teams in the quarter-finals onwards, how many played with two up top? And even the one or two that did didn't do so in a traditional 4-4-2 formation.

Heskey should never have started for England in this year's World Cup simply because we should have got with the times and moved away from playing such a rigidly poor formation. The game has evolved, especially on the continent and further afield, and the need to pick Heskey would never have come about if we employed a manager that actually had some tactical variety and a bit of whit.

Exactly right. What's especially frustrating is the fact that the best PL clubs have done this. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City all play a variation of 4-3-3 and yet at international level we haven't adapted.

Heskey often got the stick when what we should have been complaining about were the one dimensional tactics that necessitated playing him

Barry the bird boggler Exactly, we supposedly have a world class Italian manager who has won things at the highest level yet he is rigidly sticking to that formation.

How many of the clubs in the Premier League have 11 Englishmen starting in 451 or 433? They can't do it without the help of foreign players. In Spain they're taught exactly the same way all the way up from junior level the same is true here, 442 get it forward as quickly as possible and if the little kid with asthma gives the ball away scream at him.

Capello tried different formations in his early games but they didn't work his job isn't just about winning games it's about changing a whole national ethos.As it says in 442 Magazine this month, We're talking about a man who changed his formation three times in one match when Milan were in danger of going out of the Champions League at the group stage in '94 and they got to the final. There is a vast difference between changing a formation when you have gifted players like Maldini, Baresi and Desailly and changing it when you have Upson, Johnson and Barry.

As for him only playing established players and being afraid to try newer ones He played young players like Raul and Guti at Madrid and gave a debut to De Rossi at Roma when he was 18. We do not have the talent pool to do try the youngsters the way Capello has done with his teams before.
Last edited by sandman on 16 Jul 2010 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 16 Jul 2010 09:23

The whole year inn Emile Heskey's 62 caps -

More than Hoddle, Gazza, Beardsley, Sheringham, Des Walker,

Same amount as David Platt and Chris Waddle

One less than Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer :|

if they'd made the most of their talent the way Emile did we'd have won the World Cup 5 times in a row

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 16 Jul 2010 16:41

Capello played so many players out of position , Gerrard , Rooney , Milner , Terry , and Heskey.......6000 miles out of position !

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jul 2010 19:55

Thank you for ruining our chances at this world cup Heskey and here's to Peter Crouch.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jul 2010 01:12

Royalee Thank you for ruining our chances at this world cup Heskey and here's to Peter Crouch.

:D
you are being ironic aren't you? :shock:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Jul 2010 01:18

Heskey may well not have been good enough but he made the best of what he had. Played okay in the first two England games, certainly better than Rooney.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jul 2010 22:35

Maguire Heskey may well not have been good enough but he made the best of what he had. Played okay in the first two England games, certainly better than Rooney.

Definitely. Rooney showed the odd touch of quality combining with Gerrard, but tbh I think we'd have done better with Heskey and one of Crouch or Defoe starting ahead of Rooney.

Heskey's lack of goals wouldn't have been much of a problem if Rooney played even half as well as he is capable and Lampard had actually turned up before Germany.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 17 Jul 2010 23:04

why would anyone blame english players for failing to "bring home" the world cup when they are in the minority in our domestic league at the top level?