How are Barca not being done for tapping up?

daswonder

Re: How are Barca not being done for tapping up?

by daswonder » 20 Jul 2010 14:37

TBM Fair play to Arsenal for holding out on this and not giving in to Barcas bullying.....

They did the exact same with Henry but Arsene held out a season or two and then sold him for £16m knowing Henry had already given his best to the club....look at where Henry is now!

Bit different there, Henry came off his worse season at Arsenal the summer he went to Barcelona.

He maybe in the states now, but he walks off being part of the best Barcelona team in history and maybe the greatest club side ever with a clean sweep of trophies between August 08 and Dec 09.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jul 2010 14:39

daswonder
TBM Fair play to Arsenal for holding out on this and not giving in to Barcas bullying.....

They did the exact same with Henry but Arsene held out a season or two and then sold him for £16m knowing Henry had already given his best to the club....look at where Henry is now!

Bit different there, Henry came off his worse season at Arsenal the summer he went to Barcelona.

He maybe in the states now, but he walks off being part of the best Barcelona team in history and maybe the greatest club side ever with a clean sweep of trophies between August 08 and Dec 09.

Not denying that - just saying that Wenger knows when to sell players and get the most money for them.........they leave Arsenal and have an ok season or 2 somewhere else but are never the same as when they were playing for Arsenal.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Jul 2010 19:38

TBM Fàbregas started his career as a trainee with Barcelona but was signed by Arsenal in September 2003 at the age of 16. he did not manage to play a first team game at the Camp Nou. Sensing that he would have limited opportunities at Barcelona, he joined Arsenal

That to me says he opted to join Arsenal and could well have stayed with Barca

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 336AAe1eax

I remember watching a documentary bout him and that's were I heard Barca thought he wad too small to be a player for them

Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are all 5'7 and Fabregas is 5'9 so Barca didn't get rid off him. English clubs can offer a contract before Spanish clubs which is how Arsenal could sign him ay a young age.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 20 Jul 2010 21:25

Barca told him when he was a kid there he was too small to play football, all those years ago Iniesta etc weren't playing in the first team either

I'll try find the documentary on youtube for you
Last edited by TBM on 20 Jul 2010 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 Jul 2010 21:36

Hoop Blah So an unreported crime is still a crime then?

No

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jul 2010 22:19

So if that's the case, have another go at explaining when then...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jul 2010 02:52

Sun Tzu
Hoop Blah So an unreported crime is still a crime then?

No

That'll be news to the ONS and the British Crime Survey.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 21 Jul 2010 09:18

Another player has spoken out. It's getting embarrassing now and Its not exactly gonna win Wenger over into selling him

Barcelona star Xavi has warned Arsenal they only have midfielder Cesc Fabregas "on loan" and that the Gunners captain will eventually return to the Nou Camp, where he started his career.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 21 Jul 2010 09:24

TBM Another player has spoken out. It's getting embarrassing now and Its not exactly gonna win Wenger over into selling him

Barcelona star Xavi has warned Arsenal they only have midfielder Cesc Fabregas "on loan" and that the Gunners captain will eventually return to the Nou Camp, where he started his career.

I actually fear for Fab's career now. He'll have a good season at Arsenal to show everyone how loyal he is before decamping next year and having a torrid few years at Barca, struggling with form and injury before retiring before he's thirty.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2010 15:17

Hoop Blah So if that's the case, have another go at explaining when then...

well, i would have thought rape would be one example....

You can't arrest someone for rape unless there is a complainant. A police officer may be 99.9% sure rape has taken place but if the 'victim' says no, or refuses to make a complaint I'm pretty sure there is nothing that can be done.

In the context of the original comment about tapping up I think that's a reasonable parallel.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2010 15:39

It's still a crime though, even if in that example you can't prosecute without the victims complaint.

There's a difference between it being a crime, and being a crime you can prove or prosecute. If I stole your car but you were too stubborn to report it because you thought it was unstealable, I'd still have taken it without your prior consent.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2010 15:44

Hoop Blah It's still a crime though, even if in that example you can't prosecute without the victims complaint.

There's a difference between it being a crime, and being a crime you can prove or prosecute. If I stole your car but you were too stubborn to report it because you thought it was unstealable, I'd still have taken it without your prior consent.

Arguable both ways.

i think my original point, and two examples, are reasonable.

Certainly in the original context of TBM asking why Barca aren't being prosecuted, the point that without a complaint from Arsenal there is (effectively) no crime is 100% true.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2010 17:23

You were replying to Big Foots 'so unreported crime is not a crime comment' though, which is obviously not the case.

Nice use of the 'effectively' to try and dig your way out though, although I'd still say that the crime has been committed but the authorities just can't do anything about it until a complaint is lodged.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2010 17:30

Hoop Blah You were replying to Big Foots 'so unreported crime is not a crime comment' though, which is obviously not the case.

No, he was responding to my comment. Your use of 'obviously' is clearly misplaced....

Hoop Blah Nice use of the 'effectively' to try and dig your way out though, although I'd still say that the crime has been committed but the authorities just can't do anything about it until a complaint is lodged.

No need for digging, no one is in a hole !!

You have your view, which i can understand. I have a differing one, which I think is just as valid. Your view takes us down the 'thought crime' route. I may only have THOUGHT about a crime, but it's still a crime !!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jul 2010 17:44

It's nothing like and a thought crime!!!

I'm talking about actual actions and breaking the law, which is pretty much what Big Foot was as well, or at least that's how everyone else seems to have taken it.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2010 18:06

Hoop Blah It's nothing like and a thought crime!!!

I'm talking about actual actions and breaking the law, which is pretty much what Big Foot was as well, or at least that's how everyone else seems to have taken it.

You'd have a stronger case if you decided to argue that no crime has been committed until a judge and jury convicts someone....

Luckily there is room in the tolerant and open minded world of HNA for differences of opinion. Even if some people seem to find that hard to take on board !!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jul 2010 21:23

Sebastian The crime itself is the action (or omission in some codes of law). Just because it's not reported doesn't stop it being a crime. It just means that it's an unreported crime.

Crime =/= conviction.

If it's a crime at the time it's committed then why the need for conviction ?

That is what establishes whether a crime has in fact been committed....

If a defendant is found not guilty then the crime was never committed.

We are both partially correct of course.

There is still a distinction to be made in some cases between the moment at which (retrospectively) it is determined a crime happened and the moment a victim decides the action was a crime. They do not have to coincide and that is especially true of the Arsenal / Fabregas / Barcelona triangle.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 09:50

Sebastian
No we're not. Let's follow the process:

1. Someone acts in a way that is defined in law as a crime. Two options:

a) They get reported/caught and convicted - result: a crime has been committed, and the person has been convicted of that crime. Guilty in the eyes of the state/law
b) They don't get reported, or they are reported, but no conviction is achieved - result: a crime has been committed, but the person has not been convicted of that crime. Not guilty in the eyes of the state/law

2. Someone does not act in a way that is defined in law as a crime. Two options:

a) someone reports them as having committed a crime, a conviction somehow is achieved - result: no crime has been committed, but the person has been convicted of a crime. Guilty in the eyes of the state/law
b) They are not reported as having committed a crime, or are reported but no conviction is achieved - result: no crime has been committed, no person has been convicted of a crime. Not guilty in the eyes of the state/law

Your contention seems to be that a crime has been committed only if someone is convicted of it. Which is incorrect.

If someone breaks into your house, steals your telly, rapes your family and kills you, but gets off scot free, are you saying that no crime has been committed? A crime has definitely been committed, it's just that no one has been convicted.

A crime is defined in law as an act that can be prosecutable. It is NOT the act after it has been prosecuted.

How was the result in your law degree?

Ah, I don't have a law degree, nor do i pretend to !

You miss a further situation which is the one we started with.

Someone commits and act which could be a crime, but depends on the victim wanting it to be seen as such. The Arsenal / Fabregas / Barca triangle is such a case. Brace could have phoned Fabrega and said 'if you join us we'll give you lots of money'. Tapping up, against the rules. But it needs Arsenal to object for it to actually be a crime. They might decide the want Fabregas to go, and want his fee to climb so will allow the crime to take place becasue they see some benefit.

I understand the point others made ages ago which you embellished. In retrospect of course the crime (if it becomes one) took place at the time the act was committed. But the same act may or may not be a crime depending on the 'victim'.

So to wind right back - Barca haven;t tapped anyone up yet because Arsenal have chosen not to make it a crime. the crime is crucially reliant on the decision of the victim, if the victim is OK about it then the 'crime' is unreported AND isn't even a crime.

In the wider sense then of course a crime exists even if it's not been reported and I've never suggested otherwise is true generally. If someone steals my car it's still been stolen even if I don;t go to the police (for whatever reason), although my insurers would point out that if I had not reported it then it hadn't been stolen in their eyes !!

Not sure this is going anywhere now. Clearly a person of your wide experience, extensive qualifications and professional knowledge will run rings round me in terms of detailed legal debate. Which would be a bit pointless really given we're talking football and the issue of tapping up - which you don't have an opinion of I see !!

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 23 Jul 2010 13:36

Fcuking hell. If someone breaks the law, they've committed a crime whether or not they are prosecuted.

Can't believe this argument is even happening.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 14:30

Sebastian
Stretton Royal Fcuking hell. If someone breaks the law, they've committed a crime whether or not they are prosecuted.

Can't believe this argument is even happening.

Don't worry, I've won now.

You may have won 'your' arguement.

But only by ignoring mine !

You'll go far in politics.

Sadly :wink:

Interesting you state some pretty categorical things about the football laws while admitting you know nothing about them ! Prospective minister material !!!