A fit and proper person?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
working class hero

A fit and proper person?

by working class hero » 05 Aug 2010 13:10

What is a fit and proper person when it comes to running a club?

Shinawatra apparently was [until his lack of cash became apparent]. Russian billionaires seem to be although there are doubts about how individuals could become so wealthy so soon after the collapse of 'Communism'.

Today I note the following from the squeaky clean Scudamore when asked about the possible Chinese government backing for Huang who wants to take over Liverpool:

'Asked about China's human rights record, he added: "I don't think that is something we would get into. I don't think it is right to be going into detail."'

So we can decide fitness and propriety without going into detail? The salient detail seems to be that China has £322,000,000,000 to invest overseas.

Pompey are soon to fold I hope, and many will be delighted if Utd / Chelsea were to hit big problems. The sooner the Prem house of cards fails the better it will be. Real football can then prosper.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: A fit and proper person?

by Dirk Gently » 05 Aug 2010 13:11

The PL is ahead of you on that - it's no longer the "F&PPT", it's been renamed the "Directors & Owners Test!"

working class hero

by working class hero » 05 Aug 2010 13:22

I know - but in any reputable major business [does such a thing exist?] directors and owners are tested against whether they are fit and proper. The PL weasels may be dropping words which make their life dificult, but semantic jiggery pokery will not obscure the truth.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Aug 2010 13:26

The criteria are being tightened all the time - for instance the FL have now adopted the PL rule on open disclosure of ownership above 10%.

But it's only 5 years ago we were told that the clubs "would never accept" any ownership test - unless the government intervenes it's down to the clubs to reform themselves, and that will only happen in slow stages, rather than "big bang".

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Aug 2010 15:00

Would the 'fit and proper person(s)' test not be applied to the Chinese Investment Corporation, and not to the Chinese government?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1