Joao to West Brom nonsense.

194 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Joao to West Brom nonsense.

by Stranded » 05 Sep 2022 14:43

retro royal He looked so much happier having Long up with him, think we need two up front going forward, one thing I do like with Ince he mixes up the formation, not sure it's intentional or just no other choice. Sometimes it works like Stoke, and other times it doesn't Sheff Utd

He said before the season, he doesn't want us to have one rigid formation but the ability to switch between a few depending on opposition/circumstances.

He was honest enough to say that if Loum were fit Joao wouldn't have started but I am sure the performance of the two up top will have given him food for thought - more so if Long hadn't shinned his big chance.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Sep 2022 16:35

Think Pince sees Meite as a like for like Shane Long replacement as well. Run around a lot and make a nuisance of himself. Shank one over the bar from 6 yards too

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Sep 2022 16:51

Yeah it was certainly effective against Stoke - probably made more so because Wilmot and Flint I thought were poor defensively, but they couldn't deal with them two, granted more Joao than Long but Long still played his part as well, Kelvin E also did well when he came on, retaining the ball well and worked hard up top.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Sep 2022 00:53

3points Think Pince sees Meite as a like for like Shane Long replacement as well. Run around a lot and make a nuisance of himself. Shank one over the bar from 6 yards too

Unfair on Meite. Scores a lot from those positions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2022 08:16

Yeah, I'd say they're very very different players.

Long has a pretty good first touch and can link up play and hold the ball pretty well. Meite, love him though I do, is a bit of a blunt force battering ram.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Sep 2022 13:23

Who would you have preferred - Long vs Walcott?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Sep 2022 13:33

Royalwaster Who would you have preferred - Long vs Walcott?

Long.
Easy.
Not averse to Walcott but concern would be he’d be another of our ‘name’ signings who were just not right.
Never had a doubt that Shane wanted to be here, would give it his all and give the fans a big boost.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Oct 2022 21:12

Would Joao want to be in another relegation battle?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Oct 2022 22:07

SouthDownsRoyal Would Joao want to be in another relegation battle?

Has publicly stated he does.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2022 07:53

Nameless
Royalwaster Who would you have preferred - Long vs Walcott?

Long.
Easy.
Not averse to Walcott but concern would be he’d be another of our ‘name’ signings who were just not right.
Never had a doubt that Shane wanted to be here, would give it his all and give the fans a big boost.

+1. Walcott may have proved us wrong but in our position in the summer we need players who will fight for us and give us their all every week

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2022 07:54

Pepe the Horseman

I bet he's glad he stayed.

I had a dream that I met John Swift last night and he said he wish he'd stayed with us

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Oct 2022 08:43

Royal_jimmy
Pepe the Horseman

I had a dream that I met John Swift last night and he said he wish he'd stayed with us

If Swift had stayed then one of two things would have had to happen. Either 1 - we would play differently on 2. Swift would have had to amend his game to suit the new style.

In both scenarios there is absolutely no guarantee we would be doing as well as we are and we would also not have signed at least one of the players currently doing well.

It could be argued that we are only doing as well as we are because Swift and the others left. That is no disrespect to them as individual players but it allowed us to properly evolve the formation and style of play for the first time in a few seasons.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2022 23:50

Stranded
Royal_jimmy
Pepe the Horseman Has publicly stated he does.

If Swift had stayed then one of two things would have had to happen. Either 1 - we would play differently on 2. Swift would have had to amend his game to suit the new style.

In both scenarios there is absolutely no guarantee we would be doing as well as we are and we would also not have signed at least one of the players currently doing well.

It could be argued that we are only doing as well as we are because Swift and the others left. That is no disrespect to them as individual players but it allowed us to properly evolve the formation and style of play for the first time in a few seasons.

+1 on this. Also feel like teams knew how to play against us with Swift in the side. I'm hoping we can move Ejaria on next summer too

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Oct 2022 10:34

Royal_jimmy
Stranded
Royal_jimmy

+1 on this. Also feel like teams knew how to play against us with Swift in the side. I'm hoping we can move Ejaria on next summer too

Ian has stolen your login :wink:

194 posts