RUMOUR - McDermott to Wolves

1271 posts
dogzbollox

RUMOUR - McDermott to Wolves

by dogzbollox » 14 Feb 2012 07:35

Little rumour from Ian Abrahams (@Moose_talkSPORT) on Twitter this morning McD being linked with the Wolves job, anyone know anything else?

Spirit of Elm Park

Re: McDermott to Wolves

by Spirit of Elm Park » 14 Feb 2012 07:39

Only that it is lazy journalism....pick a manager doing well....

McDermott would never leave with a) half a job done and b) the russians coming in.

Non-story IMO.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 14 Feb 2012 07:53

Spirit of Elm Park McDermott would never leave with a) half a job done and b) the russians coming in.

Well, there may be something in it.

With the takeover comes much uncertainty all round, and one of the strongest foundations of our current success is the relationship between the chairman and the manager. And although JM is remaining in the hot seat, there's no guarantee he'll be pulling the strings and may be unable to keep BM if the new owners want something else. It's all too early to tell.

I think the mitigating factor against it is that the Wolves board has publicly stated they want someone proven at that level. Could be a smokescreen of course.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Feb 2012 08:05

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 14 Feb 2012 08:41

No chance

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 14 Feb 2012 10:42

McDermott is our Ferguson - Will be here in 20 years time! :D

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 14 Feb 2012 12:41

dogzbollox Little rumour from Ian Abrahams (@Moose_talkSPORT) on Twitter this morning McD being linked with the Wolves job, anyone know anything else?

Even moose's colleagues accuse him of getting his news from newspapers.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 14 Feb 2012 12:45

Geekins McDermott is our Ferguson - Will be here in 20 years time! :D

Agreed

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Feb 2012 13:04

dogzbollox Little rumour from Ian Abrahams (@Moose_talkSPORT) on Twitter this morning McD being linked with the Wolves job, anyone know anything else?

that goes against what morgan has said. he wants an established and experienced manager, not someone like mcdermott who is still learning his trade.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Feb 2012 13:51

Friday's Legacy

that goes against what morgan has said. he wants an established and experienced manager, not someone like mcdermott who is still learning his trade.

You mean Moxey.

But he does also say "We have to work quickly, we have to get the right manager in, but we are open-minded about what shape and form that takes, whether it is short term or long term."

So they could bring in someone to keep them up this season and then appoint someone like McD in the summer

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Feb 2012 13:55

TBM
Friday's Legacy

You mean Moxey.

no, i'm taking a quote from steve morgan, wolves chairman, interviewed on sky earlier today. moxey is chief exec and said similar yesterday.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Feb 2012 14:03

Friday's Legacy no, i'm taking a quote from steve morgan, wolves chairman, interviewed on sky earlier today. moxey is chief exec and said similar yesterday.

Well the interview i saw with morgan was saying he wanted Alan Curbishley...........the interview with Moxey said they wanted someone with experience

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Feb 2012 14:09

TBM
Friday's Legacy no, i'm taking a quote from steve morgan, wolves chairman, interviewed on sky earlier today. moxey is chief exec and said similar yesterday.

Well the interview i saw with morgan was saying he wanted Alan Curbishley...........the interview with Moxey said they wanted someone with experience

yes and they were both yesterday. morgan has, unsurprisingly, been interviewed again today.. he highlighted the new man has to be experienced, has to have been there and done it etc. this rules out mcdermott and any other young manager. curbishley clearly wets his appetite, as he said yesterday, and wolves hope to have a manager in place by the close of the week.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 14 Feb 2012 18:43

I think this has only arisen because a few of their fans said they would want him. Nothing more in it than that.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 Feb 2012 08:46

club going down vs a club on the up

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Feb 2012 14:33

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... t-approach

Reading have played down speculation linking Brian McDermott with the Wolves job after insisting there has been no approach from the Premier League strugglers.

Wolves sacked Mick McCarthy on Monday following last weekend's derby humiliation by West Bromwich Albion and McDermott has been mooted as a contender for the vacancy.

Alan Curbishley, Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock are reported to be the leading candidates for the post, but McDermott's impressive work at Reading has put his name in the frame.

McDermott has been in charge at the Madejski Stadium since late 2009 and currently has the Royals in the Championship play-off zone following three successive wins.

Director of football Nick Hammond says he has not spoken to Wolves about the speculation and confirmed McDermott is focused on Reading's bid for promotion back to the top flight.
Difficult decision

"I know the Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey well but I haven't spoken to him in the last 48 hours," Hammond told the Reading Evening Post.

"I'm sure he has a lot on his plate at the moment. Mick McCarthy did a wonderful job there and I'm sure the club had a very difficult decision to make.

"There are good people at Wolves. We've dealt with them a lot in the past concerning Kevin Doyle, Marcus Hahnemann and other players and we have a good relationship.

"Brian just wants to concentrate on business here. There are so many games coming up soon that's all he wants to think about.

"There will always be talk and speculation when a manager is winning matches in the way Brian is.

"But we can't really think too much about that peripheral stuff because our focus is on the games ahead."

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 16 Feb 2012 18:48

Well you know how much he loves Irish players and they have Foley,Ward,Hunt and Doyle and O'Hara has an Irish name as does Henessey despite being Welsh.
He would also be closer to his adopted son Shane at nearby WBA.
Brian's star has never been brighter after such a tremendous record and it can be seen often if managers don't take opportunities when they are doing so well they can just drift away.
I think this is most unlikely to happen but stranger things have happened in football.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 16 Feb 2012 20:14

I think it would actually be pretty surprising if Brian's name has not been mentioned in the Wolves camp. I'd be surprised but not gobsmacked if something comes of this.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 16 Feb 2012 20:29

Cripple Creek I think it would actually be pretty surprising if Brian's name has not been mentioned in the Wolves camp. I'd be surprised but not gobsmacked if something comes of this.

i don't for one minute want to lose mcdermott, but if we did lose him i'd sleep a lot easier if mccarthy came in as his replacement, or dare i say it - neil warnock. lets hope it's not up for discussion any time soon.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Feb 2012 09:11

Anyone see Kevin Doyle and Shane Long being interviewed on soccer AM?

What a nice pair of blokes. Just thinking how they would now work well
as our front two with Roberts-Hunt as back up

1271 posts