Official Deadline Day Thread......

614 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by Royal Ginger » 01 Sep 2012 00:02

England coach Gary Neville tweets: "What the transfer deadline gives you is a clear indication of which are the badly run football clubs!"

^ This. We did it weeks ago rather that then doing it all today. Look at Liverpool. That's what happens when you wait until deadline day.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Sep 2012 00:04

blythspartan I have to say that the attitude of some of the fans on here quite shocking. They behave like spoilt little kids whose mummy won't buy them their favourite toy.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 01 Sep 2012 00:08

MmmMonsterMunch Has this turned into an "I'm older than you competition"? Forgive me I didn't realise. I'm 31 - is that too young? Do I lose?

Judging by the flavour of your crisps..........yes

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2012 00:09

Tamworth_Royal
MmmMonsterMunch Has this turned into an "I'm older than you competition"? Forgive me I didn't realise. I'm 31 - is that too young? Do I lose?

Well I am bored of arguing that we can stay up with what we have so I am going to bed & will dream about that sublime Pog goal @ Chelsea.

Nowt wrong with Monster Munch crisps particularly the Roast Beef variety.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 01 Sep 2012 00:18

MmmMonsterMunch
Tamworth_Royal

Well I am bored of arguing that we can stay up with what we have so I am going to bed & will dream about that sublime Pog goal @ Chelsea.

Nowt wrong with Monster Munch crisps particularly the Roast Beef variety.

I preferred the Golden Twin packs that came in the big square metal boxes, from the small factory in Caversham........there I go showing my age again....and I still have belief in RFC, and us being stronger every week, and STAYING in the Premier!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Sep 2012 00:57

akranes As stated previously - if we signed Pogrebynak (for example) today and not when we did then everyone would be dancing with joy.

Bingo.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 01 Sep 2012 01:03

Royal Rother Did you guys see BM on Sky last night? He explained how we conduct business.

Worth your while catching it.

Made me proud to have Reading as my 2nd team.

Funilly enough, I've just finished watching that now. The Footballer's Football Show. I thought Brian was terrific, he looked confident in the squad we had and was more than happy we got our business done early, so our players could be there for pre-season (unlike these last minute Charlies). He did mention he had one more deal which they were looking at, but that it didn't come off. It was a great show. Very interesting to have a manager, a club owner and an agent's perspectives on transfers.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 01 Sep 2012 01:11

MmmMonsterMunch Are we REALLY all moaning about our transfer dealings?! I think we've done some great business.

I am really happy with the squad personally. We have a tight 'group' as BM would say. Too many in upsets the apple cart. All we need to do is sort out the shitty mistakes at the back which we will do I'm sure & we'll be ok. This team has goals.

Who'd have thought we'd win the league last year? You could argue that was more about determination than skill - we practically stole that league title. No reason why we can't do something similar again to stay up. These players are hungry.

Absolutely spot boll**ks right!

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 01 Sep 2012 01:44

Royal Bahamas
MmmMonsterMunch Rather strange that you ask me if I'm new to football. Au contraire - I stood in p1ss at Elm Park so forgive me for being quite happy at the current situation.

We should all be very happy with what we have acheived and what we can still do in the future. We have one of the best Managers, great Owners,.... and a TEAM spirit that has been instilled in the Club as a whole. Live it. Enjoy it. Do it with a smile on your face, that starts in your heart!

That's right! I don't understand the benefits of moaning all the time and thinking the worst will happen. Can someone explain it to me please? It seems far better to appreciate what we've got - a great club, good players, good stadium, bright future, ... - than to worry about what we haven't and things that may never come to pass.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Sep 2012 01:48

No, cos the old Reading can oxf*rd off and you'll never see the new Reading wanting for stuff cos we've got money and what not! Erm. What? Eh? Sorry. Enjoy

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Sep 2012 01:57

Chortle.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Sep 2012 01:58

Can't believe we SMASHED our previous transfer record

EDIT: Hat-trick

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Sep 2012 03:35

QPR sign 12 players! But they are not panic buying. Rob Green on 50k a week makes one errror against Swansea, so they spend 9 million on a keeper. Thay are still paying Joey Barton 50k a week not to play for them. We may well go down but at least we won't have to watch a bunch of money grabbing mercinaries each week.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Sep 2012 03:58

I see with new ownership nothing has changed with the fans. Who said anything about going crazy spending money? We legitimately could have used one or two more players, most people agreed with that, even the "experts". Like has been said, and it bears repeating, if we have an injury or two to key players we could be in a lot of trouble. But if there are some who feel that adding those couple players would have made the team cross the line from "well run" to "spending like a drunken sailor" dooming us to financial implosion, the lower leagues and eventually liquidation...I guess there would be no way to change any minds. So why even bother trying to reason with that mindset...

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 01 Sep 2012 07:35

^
Spot on.

For some people there is no middle ground between the "Reading Way" and "The Portsmouth way".

Our transfer business has been good, there has just been too little of it for comfort. We may well stay up, we may even repeat 2006/7, but in failing to add more depth and quality we have made it harder than it could have been to achieve.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2012 08:02

cmonurz Given most of this board consider Huddersfield's Rhodes a waste of time it's bizarre Morisson, whose career in the English league extends not past Huddersfield, might be considered adequate cover.

Morrison looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Rhodes looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Morrison didn't cost £6m.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but do you see it now?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2012 08:11

Avon Royal ^
Spot on.

For some people there is no middle ground between the "Reading Way" and "The Portsmouth way".

Our transfer business has been good, there has just been too little of it for comfort. We may well stay up, we may even repeat 2006/7, but in failing to add more depth and quality we have made it harder than it could have been to achieve.

How much would make you comfortable? We made what 7 signings (off the top of my head), now have 2 choices for each position and whilst questions about some of the back ups are fair enough as a promoted side that is likely - looks at the Soton and West Ham squads - even with the money they've spent in the last two days I don't think our squad is weaker than theirs.

Most teams in the bottom half will be in trouble with two or three injuries and we are no different - one more signing yesterday wouldn't have made much difference.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Sep 2012 08:22

Just to confirm, can we still sign loan players or is the window shut completely until Jan?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Sep 2012 08:23

That was my point 7 pages ago. We were linked to 1 player and the only link about it is that we had a bid of 4m euros turned down when the asking price was 5m euros. Yes it would have been a club record transfer fee but we were interested enough to put in a record bid anyway and with the new owners we are supposedly able to compete for signings that we should realistically be able able to go for.

This isn't wholesale throwing money about to panic buy half a team on the back of one bad result, this is one last piece of the jigsaw type signing that we have failed to land for the want of spending an extra £750,000. That is what's frustrating in my opinion. Anyone who thinks we could do without a considered signing to add quality in depth to an area of the squad is really burying their head in the sand.

EDIT: Agreeing with Libertine and Avon Royal there

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2012 08:30

The way to financial ruin is to pay more for something than you think it's worth to you. Do it once and you'll do it again. And again. And again.

614 posts