614 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official Deadline Day Thread......

by Avon Royal » 01 Sep 2012 09:01

Stranded
Avon Royal ^
Spot on.

For some people there is no middle ground between the "Reading Way" and "The Portsmouth way".

Our transfer business has been good, there has just been too little of it for comfort. We may well stay up, we may even repeat 2006/7, but in failing to add more depth and quality we have made it harder than it could have been to achieve.

How much would make you comfortable? We made what 7 signings (off the top of my head), now have 2 choices for each position and whilst questions about some of the back ups are fair enough as a promoted side that is likely - looks at the Soton and West Ham squads - even with the money they've spent in the last two days I don't think our squad is weaker than theirs.

Most teams in the bottom half will be in trouble with two or three injuries and we are no different - one more signing yesterday wouldn't have made much difference.

We could have done with more quality upfront. Pot, Rogerts and ALF don't give us much depth.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2012 10:06

Royal Rother
cmonurz Given most of this board consider Huddersfield's Rhodes a waste of time it's bizarre Morisson, whose career in the English league extends not past Huddersfield, might be considered adequate cover.

Morrison looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Rhodes looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Morrison didn't cost £6m.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but do you see it now?

Nope. You deliberately understate Rhodes perceived worth to anyone, never mind Reading.

If we don't take a Premier League attitude to transfers, we won't establish ourselves in the Premier League. I am basing this desire on the stated aim of our new owner.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 01 Sep 2012 10:13

IN BRIAN WE TRUST

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2012 10:38

Pepe the Horseman No, cos the old Reading can oxf*rd off and you'll never see the new Reading wanting for stuff cos we've got money and what not! Erm. What? Eh? Sorry. Enjoy

Drunken posting FTL. :|

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Sep 2012 10:39

Royal Lady
Pepe the Horseman No, cos the old Reading can oxf*rd off and you'll never see the new Reading wanting for stuff cos we've got money and what not! Erm. What? Eh? Sorry. Enjoy

Ennit!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2012 10:40

cmonurz
Royal Rother
cmonurz Given most of this board consider Huddersfield's Rhodes a waste of time it's bizarre Morisson, whose career in the English league extends not past Huddersfield, might be considered adequate cover.

Morrison looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Rhodes looks very promising and could be more than adequate cover in time.

Morrison didn't cost £6m.

Sorry if this sounds patronising, but do you see it now?

Nope. You deliberately understate Rhodes perceived worth to anyone, never mind Reading.

If we don't take a Premier League attitude to transfers, we won't establish ourselves in the Premier League. I am basing this desire on the stated aim of our new owner.[/quote]Rhetoric m8. He's not going to say - I'm worth billions but I'm not spending much of it on Reading Football Club, is he? Not when he's wanting to win the fans over! :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2012 10:41

Pepe the Horseman
Royal Lady

Ennit!

Shameful though. Truly shameful. It's like a less well constructed Spacey drunken rant.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 01 Sep 2012 10:47

I am not ITK but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this. I work with a Swindon fan and we have quite a lot of banter about footie and last night he sent me a text basically taking the pi** because we hadn't signed anyone. However, he said that our new owners want to get Redknapp in and BM out. When I rubbished his claims he said he was being deadly serious. I know his brother works for one of the football agencies and to be fair he has never tried to pass on any information in the past. I know it's probably b*ll*cks but nothing would surprise me in football.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Sep 2012 10:47

I guess this really comes down to one of two things. Either the owners are full of shit, have no money and we need to start some kind of protest to get them out of our club or there's money and McDermott's so out of his depth that he doesn't know how to spend it and we need to start some kind of protest to get him out of our club.

Tricky.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2012 10:49

Or McD is perfectly capable within the constraints afforded to him, the new owners are rich, but this is a business to them, not a hobby and they're not spending shite loads of money because they want to make profits. Maybe. Who knows? :|

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Sep 2012 11:02

So you think McDermott should get the blame when we're relegated :?: Interesting.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2012 11:14

Royal Lady Or McD is perfectly capable within the constraints afforded to him, the new owners are rich, but this is a business to them, not a hobby and they're not spending shite loads of money because they want to make profits. Maybe. Who knows? :|

Money was available though. We were prepared to spend 5 million on Zaha...

Anton didn't give Brian a 'budget' as such, but there was money there if we found the right deal that we wanted to do.

We brought in 7 senior players, any more and we may well have upset the team dynamic that served us so well.

It's pretty obvious that BMc is very happy with the business he's done this summer, he thinks we've got enough to stay up, and so do I.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 01 Sep 2012 11:22

We performed quite adequately against chelsea(one of the top sides in the PL) and were unlucky to come away with no points and we were the better side for long periods and that is without 2 fairly key players.Im happy with what we have atm and to strenthen in jan if we need to.The club has said that things will be run as it always has and they wont be spending silly amounts of money.Im sure Brian knows what he is doing and i for one have 100 per cent faith in him

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2012 11:40

Avon Royal ^
Spot on.

For some people there is no middle ground between the "Reading Way" and "The Portsmouth way".

Our transfer business has been good, there has just been too little of it for comfort. We may well stay up, we may even repeat 2006/7, but in failing to add more depth and quality we have made it harder than it could have been to achieve.

You are without question the most negative Reading fan on here. According to you, we get things wrong every fcuking season yet miraculously the club always manages to achieve what you state they can't? How exactly is that?!

ANSWER: The club know what they are doing!

I come back to my original point. Some people are never fcuking happy. We've signed 7 - they want 8. If we'd signed 10, they'd want 11.

This comment about the middle ground is complete bollox too. Has it occured to you that some of us are happy with who we've signed? We've just done our business early & quietly. The fact that Sky aren't getting into a frenzy about RFC MUST mean we've not done enough business? IT MUST!!!! :roll:

We didn't have a huge squad in 06-07 we had a core group of about 15 & it worked well. The same can be said of this season hopefully. You are writing some of these players off without even giving them a chance. All you do on here is fcuking bitch & moan about everything. I have never seen you post anything positive about the club since I've been a member on here. I honestly don't know why you bother supporting them if everything they do grates on you.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 01 Sep 2012 11:53

September 1st - we've got what we've got.

Everybody will have their own opinion, mine personally is that I would have liked to seen us strengthen the squad further but I have nothing to do with the running of the club, it's finances or player negotiation.

I would have loved to seen us bring Zaha in, mainly due to the fact that we will be lucky to see much of Kebe before Christmas which leaves us Jobi and McCleary as wingers, one of those gets injured and it's HRK with no wide man in reserve. However Zaha would probably have wanted regular first team football and we could by no means guarantee that.
I would like to think that the negotiation broke down over the above and not that we wouldn't pay the extra million.

It's almost impossible to say that we don't have a premier league squad because so many are unproven at this level, however if we finish mid table this season I would expect to see a statue of a bald bloke with glasses outside the megastore for next season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Sep 2012 11:55

blythspartan I am not ITK but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this. I work with a Swindon fan and we have quite a lot of banter about footie and last night he sent me a text basically taking the pi** because we hadn't signed anyone. However, he said that our new owners want to get Redknapp in and BM out. When I rubbished his claims he said he was being deadly serious. I know his brother works for one of the football agencies and to be fair he has never tried to pass on any information in the past. I know it's probably b*ll*cks but nothing would surprise me in football.

Had just spent 20 minutes or more drafting a reply to this but have lost it and can't be bothered to bore you all with a new version.
However I have heard a very strong rumour about Harry and Saints and come November IMHO any of the 3 promoted clubs could well be in for his services (all in the south of course) if any or all are in the bottom 3 which I feel is quite likely.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 01 Sep 2012 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2012 11:59

Victor Meldrew
blythspartan I am not ITK but I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this. I work with a Swindon fan and we have quite a lot of banter about footie and last night he sent me a text basically taking the pi** because we hadn't signed anyone. However, he said that our new owners want to get Redknapp in and BM out. When I rubbished his claims he said he was being deadly serious. I know his brother works for one of the football agencies and to be fair he has never tried to pass on any information in the past. I know it's probably b*ll*cks but nothing would surprise me in football.

This is funny. A Swindon fan ITK about our new Russian owners. Got to laugh.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Sep 2012 12:00

Nothing has changed, we could finish 12th, we could finish 20th. If we go down we'll have a pretty decent chance of bouncing straight back. We'll probably be able to gamble harder than we did last time and we won't have the same managerial situation with a burnt ou manager, 3/4s of a team and too many players wanting to jump ship.

We've improved on the best Championship defence last season. We're scoring goals, not giving up lots of easy chances and are more creative in midfield. We'll see how we're going after 10 games. We will not be humiliated a la Derby or Sunderland.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Sep 2012 12:04

I have absolute faith in the club & Brian.

This season really is a lottery. No one really knows who will get relegated do they? It's far too tight to call & it will go right down to the wire again.

I hope & pray it's QPR though. They would be utterly fcuked if so.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Sep 2012 12:12

MmmMonsterMunch
Avon Royal ^
Spot on.

You are without question the most negative Reading fan on here. According to you, we get things wrong every fcuking season yet miraculously the club always manages to achieve what you state they can't? How exactly is that?!

ANSWER: The club know what they are doing!

I come back to my original point. Some people are never fcuking happy. We've signed 7 - they want 8. If we'd signed 10, they'd want 11.

This comment about the middle ground is complete bollox too. Has it occured to you that some of us are happy with who we've signed? We've just done our business early & quietly. The fact that Sky aren't getting into a frenzy about RFC MUST mean we've not done enough business? IT MUST!!!! :roll:

We didn't have a huge squad in 06-07 we had a core group of about 15 & it worked well. The same can be said of this season hopefully. You are writing some of these players off without even giving them a chance. All you do on here is fcuking bitch & moan about everything. I have never seen you post anything positive about the club since I've been a member on here. I honestly don't know why you bother supporting them if everything they do grates on you.

Not sure what you got so excited about.
The poster says what most of us feel-the transfers in are good but we wanted a few more which is quite a reasonable wish of any fan.
What disappoints me is that the likes of Church,Hunt,HRK,Harte and (I hate to say it but he is old)Bryn have not been moved on just as much as a disappointment that we didn't bring in 2 or 3 more.

Don't kid yourself, this is not a 106 team that needed minor adjustment,this is a team good enough for top 3 in the Championship but IMHO (even with the additions)not strong enough to be anything but relegation candidates this season.
The 106 team beat Spurs (3-1?) so two weeks Sunday will be time for us to assess where we are even though I admit it is still very early to draw conclusions.

614 posts