McCarthy to Liverpool

199 posts
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: McCarthy to Liverpool

by SPARTA » 06 May 2013 22:33

I don't want to lose him, but come on, we're in a very strong position will keepers; so it really wouldn't be the end of the world. If he goes he'll go for big money. Minimum £5-6m. Federici could come back in, or if we also sell him, Andersen is waiting and certainly deserves his chance. (McDermott reluctantly agreed to let him go but he's still under contract and Adkins has named his as one of a number of top keepers we have here)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 May 2013 00:25

Goalkeepers tend to reach their peak when they are in their 30s. Just how good could Alex get? For me, Feds has already peaked and won't get any better.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 May 2013 21:45

Terminal Boardom Goalkeepers tend to reach their peak when they are in their 30s. Just how good could Alex get? For me, 28 year old Feds has already peaked and won't get any better.

Good logic

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 May 2013 22:01

I don't disagree that McCarthy is potentially the better keeper, but Federici is still only 28 and should continue to improve over the next few years.

I'd much rather have McCarthy here for the next 5 years than Federici, but how likely is that to happen if he continues to improve as he has.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 May 2013 02:50

Hoop Blah
I'd much rather have McCarthy here for the next 5 years than Federici, but how likely is that to happen if he continues to improve as he has.

I think this hits the nail on the head for me. Who is likley to be here in the next 3-4 years...?

There is no doubt in my mind that McCarthy is already better than Feds and McCarthy should continue to imporve and become a top top keeper. Is this really a luxury we can afford to have when we could buy 2 or 3 good outfield players with the fee we could command for him.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 May 2013 07:34

Pepe the Horseman
Terminal Boardom Goalkeepers tend to reach their peak when they are in their 30s. Just how good could Alex get? For me, 28 year old Feds has already peaked and won't get any better.

Good logic

I just don't see any improvement in Fed's game. He showed promise as a youngster but he just hasn't kicked on. His positional sense has not improved and his judgement is still lacking. It is as if he has hit a plateau.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 08 May 2013 08:56

The only thing I'd be worried about making McCarthy number 1 is there's a big difference for a young player coming in and playing 10-15 games compared to keeping that consistency over 45-50 games, we saw Federici struggle in his first full season and it's not out of the question it could happen with McCarthy too.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 08 May 2013 09:06

Simon's Church The only thing I'd be worried about making McCarthy number 1 is there's a big difference for a young player coming in and playing 10-15 games compared to keeping that consistency over 45-50 games, we saw Federici struggle in his first full season and it's not out of the question it could happen with McCarthy too.

We can't afford NOT to play McCarthy now or he'll get itchy want to move. He simply HAS to be the Number One, be told he's the first choice, and Federici moved on. Otherwise, his head will be turned (if not already) and we've lost him before getting the best out of him. Now that would be criminal of RFC, should that happen.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 08 May 2013 09:11

The refreshing thing about Adkins is that, at long last, we have someone who is a break from the past. No misguided loyalties to certain players. He will want to do *his* thing. Thus, so long as he is not flogged, McC will be No. 1 next season. Of that, IMO, there is no doubt.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 May 2013 09:15

grey_squirrel The refreshing thing about Adkins is that, at long last, we have someone who is a break from the past. No misguided loyalties to certain players. He will want to do *his* thing. Thus, so long as he is not flogged, McC will be No. 1 next season. Of that, IMO, there is no doubt.

Plus, NA was a keeper in his time as a player

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 08 May 2013 09:49

Sounds like Reina may be on his way to Barcelona.......

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 May 2013 13:26

Struggling to understand this deluded "make him number 1 and he will stay" crap.

If a big club comes in with a good offer, he will go. Being a regular starter has had little bearing before when a big club comes in for a player and in terms of management decisions, why would the club do that as it risks the player becoming too comfortable and possibly even complacent.

Anything over £8million and he will go and to be honest with Feds we have a keeper more than capable of doing the job and can use all or some of that money to buy a couple of decent outfield players.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 08 May 2013 13:39

To paraphrase The Darkness, get your hands off of McCarthy, motherfuckers!

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 08 May 2013 14:43

Big Ern Struggling to understand this deluded "make him number 1 and he will stay" crap.

If a big club comes in with a good offer, he will go. Being a regular starter has had little bearing before when a big club comes in for a player and in terms of management decisions, why would the club do that as it risks the player becoming too comfortable and possibly even complacent.

Anything over £8million and he will go and to be honest with Feds we have a keeper more than capable of doing the job and can use all or some of that money to buy a couple of decent outfield players.

Yeah I agree with this. Federici is more than capable at Championship level as demonstrated last season. If a big offer comes in for McCarthy we'd struggle to keep hold of him.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 09 May 2013 07:14

Keep McCarthy for our campaign in the Championship next season and off load Federici to a Premier League club as a number Two.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 09 May 2013 09:22

[quote="bennno"]Think McCarthy is our best keeper at the moment, however if big money offer comes in it will test the commitment of the new Owner and his desire to play rather than warm the bench elsewhere.

That's the key issue. Is he more motivated by money than playing regularly? He's got to know that it'd be better for his career to stay here rather than pick up splinters at W*nkerpool.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 May 2013 09:42

Tilehurstsouthbank W*nkerpool.

NICE :!:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 May 2013 13:28

quality keeper who i am sure will rise in price by having one good season in the championship if he can play full season

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 11 May 2013 12:22

Big Ern Struggling to understand this deluded "make him number 1 and he will stay" crap.

Club will let him go for anything close or over 5 mil

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 11 May 2013 13:48

Club will let him go for anything close or over 5 mil[/quote]

Where have you plucked that figure from and what are you basing it on ? He's worth a lot more than that I would have thought. Keepers are the most important players on the pitch - Nige says so, so it must be true.

199 posts