The real big cock-ups

121 posts
ScepticalRoyal

Re: The real big cock-ups

by ScepticalRoyal » 02 Oct 2013 13:53

I prefer the traditional "Reading way" of finding the gems and nurturing them (Long, Gylfi etc...). I'd rather see us develop slowly as a club, buying players for less money and therefore standing less to lose. Relegation last year was painful, we didn't have a squad anywhere near hoping to stay up. Look how Southampton and Norwich have spent since they were promoted, we know we can't match that. Let's try and gather together a solid team of players who understand how to play with one another under Adkins' style of (much more effective than Mcdermotts) football and hope we can go up, spend wisely, and stay up.

Wishful thinking, eh? I don't understand why some people expected us to get taken over and shoot straight to the top, that' always dangerous territory financially.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 03 Oct 2013 07:13

ScepticalRoyal I prefer the traditional "Reading way" of finding the gems and nurturing them (Long, Gylfi etc...). I'd rather see us develop slowly as a club, buying players for less money and therefore standing less to lose. Relegation last year was painful, we didn't have a squad anywhere near hoping to stay up. Look how Southampton and Norwich have spent since they were promoted, we know we can't match that. Let's try and gather together a solid team of players who understand how to play with one another under Adkins' style of (much more effective than Mcdermotts) football and hope we can go up, spend wisely, and stay up.

Wishful thinking, eh? I don't understand why some people expected us to get taken over and shoot straight to the top, that' always dangerous territory financially.

Excellent post. Quite sensible. You should post more.

Seriously...

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 03 Oct 2013 11:50

seahawk10
ScepticalRoyal I prefer the traditional "Reading way" of finding the gems and nurturing them (Long, Gylfi etc...). I'd rather see us develop slowly as a club, buying players for less money and therefore standing less to lose. Relegation last year was painful, we didn't have a squad anywhere near hoping to stay up. Look how Southampton and Norwich have spent since they were promoted, we know we can't match that. Let's try and gather together a solid team of players who understand how to play with one another under Adkins' style of (much more effective than Mcdermotts) football and hope we can go up, spend wisely, and stay up.

Excellent post. Quite sensible. You should post more.

Seriously...

I've read so many sarcastic, tounge-in-cheek comments on this board I'm still yet to work out if you're serious. :oops: :lol:

Todd Margaret

by Todd Margaret » 03 Oct 2013 14:43

ScepticalRoyal I've read so many sarcastic, tounge-in-cheek comments on this board I'm still yet to work out if you're serious. :oops: :lol:

Way to stay sceptical, ScepticalRoyal!

ScepticalRoyal

by ScepticalRoyal » 03 Oct 2013 15:55

Todd Margaret
ScepticalRoyal I've read so many sarcastic, tounge-in-cheek comments on this board I'm still yet to work out if you're serious. :oops: :lol:

Way to stay sceptical, ScepticalRoyal!

Gotta keep thinking positive.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Oct 2013 11:16

If you want to use your 20:20 vision in hindsight, how about Man Utd giving Peter Beardsley a free ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2013 13:18

Franchise FC If you want to use your 20:20 vision in hindsight, how about Man Utd giving Peter Beardsley a free ?

or David Platt

royalrumble
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by royalrumble » 04 Oct 2013 18:52

FridaysGhost Rhodes could have been ours for 8M - does anyone think he is worth less now?

Even if we did buy him - doesn't fix the problem we have with service - Strikers we have are good enough if we could get the ball to them !

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 05 Oct 2013 22:35

Ian Royal
FridaysGhost Whilst I understand the wishes of lesser Contributors to attack my posts, contrived misunderstanding of what I am saying is pathetic.

I believe that in business, as in football, one should buy cheap and sell expensive. With a supposedly good scouting system and finances, why should we ever have ended a Transfer period without the squad required to make us progress?

e.g. The same year we were relegated, Kerry Dixon scored a hatfull of goals and was then bought by Chelsea. Doyle was bought for £100,000 and sold, after relegation from the Premiership, for 6M. Which bit of 'spending on real potential' do people not understand?

I have watched both RFC and the Transfer Window over many years and our attachment to 'The Reading Way' has meant we have missed out on myriad players. Defoe could have been bought from Brighton. Both Englands current CB's (today) were available way back - as were Upson and Dawson relatively recently. Kondogbia could have been acquired before our Premiership entry last year, as could Zaha, Ince, Austin etc.

We are doing great at slowly establishing ourselves as a top Champ/low Premiership team. We are doing cr*p at buying potential quality and understanding the risks of buying players - when they really are no risk at all.

I'll just go back to laughing at your delusions if you don't mind.

Does the lion worry about the elephant-turd?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Oct 2013 23:19

From Despair To Where?
Franchise FC If you want to use your 20:20 vision in hindsight, how about Man Utd giving Peter Beardsley a free ?

or David Platt

Even today, you could make a really good side of players who were "cast off" by Man United to varying degrees. Foster in goal, Shawcross and Pique at centre back, Pogba, Eikrem and Morrison in midfield, Tosic and Ljajic on the wings, Rossi up front...

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Oct 2013 03:04

Trevor Francis at Sheffield Weds giving Cantona a trial and deciding against him, then Howard Wilkinson at Leeds letting him go to Man Utd for just over a million.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Oct 2013 10:03

Reading didn't see the benefits in keeping Jimmy Hill, Sam Bartram or Peter Osgood.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Oct 2013 17:14

Barry the bird boggler Reading didn't see the benefits in keeping Jimmy Hill, Sam Bartram or Peter Osgood.

Ah Jimmy Hill-sad to read in the paper the other day that he now has dementia.
Even average modern players are now millionaires because of him (and to some extent George Eastham).
On the other hand would football now be so ridiculously expensive and players still on the same planet as the rest of us if he hadn't had such influence?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 07 Oct 2013 11:17

Victor Meldrew
Barry the bird boggler Reading didn't see the benefits in keeping Jimmy Hill, Sam Bartram or Peter Osgood.

Even average modern players are now millionaires because of him (and to some extent George Eastham).
On the other hand would football now be so ridiculously expensive and players still on the same planet as the rest of us if he hadn't had such influence?

Not to mention Bosman.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Oct 2013 17:26

glass half full
Victor Meldrew

Not to mention Bosman.

Not sure that had quite such an impact on earnings but I agree that the case certainly had a major impact on the modern game.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Oct 2013 06:55

Bosman certainly did have an impact on player earnings as players were able to get massive salaries and signing on fees from their new clubs when moving on for free at the end of their contracts, or had loyalty bonuses written into their contracts for not asking for a transfer (it's why no player these days puts in a formal transfer request; they stand to lose millions if they do).

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 08 Oct 2013 09:36

I think you mean 'much more attractive than Mcdermotts' style. Mcdermott instilled the most effective style of football I have ever seen in the season he got us promoted. It was a style that turned a bunch of very very average championship players into championship title winners. With that bunch of players we would have finished mid-table at best under Adkins.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 08 Oct 2013 10:18

Weren't we close to getting Neil Lennon, too?

I recall him being dropped by Leicester (?) for a mid-week game at Elm Park because we were about to sign him.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Oct 2013 11:18

Berkshire Born

Weren't we close to getting Neil Lennon, too?

I recall him being dropped by Leicester (?) for a mid-week game at Elm Park because we were about to sign him.

He was at Crewe, and although we bid for him he chose Leicester ahead of us. One of those many examples when we wanted someone but he found a bigger and better-paying club to go to.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Oct 2013 13:54

Believe he chose Leicester as Dario Gradi said they would be a better fit for him than Reading at that time.

121 posts