Announcements Today

223 posts
rfc58

Re: Announcements Today

by rfc58 » 03 Sep 2013 10:00

MouldyRoyal
Elm Park Pasty
southbank1871 I too would have liked us to have signed some more players (there's still a chance we have or will), but I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR. It's embarrassing.

+1 Seriously not sure what some of you were expecting I really don't. I am deflated about the lack of signings, although I am not so gutted about Mapps and Kebe going as I am not sure their commitment was there any more. Anyone who thought we would be chucking £Ms around last night was always going to be disappointed (and I admit I bought into this a little). The club cannot go on sending out mixed messages, saying one day we build brick by brick, and on another saying we will make signings. Having said that, I am not sure how long QPR can exist as a business model given the wages that must going out there, that is just plain ludicrous. If anything, it is our poor comparison with Wigan which concerns me more.

Got to remember Wigan received alot of money for the sales of Kone and Mcarthy. Even if they kept 50% of that that to cover their own running costs, they would still have had a larger budget than us.

It might have been a bit of skullduggery by Whelan but at one point the Macarthy sale wasn't going ahead because of the terms offered by Everton, and that may have been down to the Fellani deal, so he was taking a gamble by signing before this deal was agreed, hence the part people are saying about buying first, then selling.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 Sep 2013 10:01

So what we're all saying is it's too early to get 'Sissoko' on the back of my away shirt?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2013 10:01

urz13 The only way to become a successful PL club is to spend money - you just have to spend it well. We have done neither.

We are spending money. And we are spending it well.

On the things that can secure a better long-term future than a few players in the here and now.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Sep 2013 10:02

Royal Rother
urz13 The only way to become a successful PL club is to spend money - you just have to spend it well. We have done neither.

We are spending money........

....on Pogs wages

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Sep 2013 10:03

Cypry
Dixeyroyal
semtex1871 I don't understand what the rush to get into the Premier League is all about....

...it is by far the dirtiest league in the world with most games being won & lost based on very dodgy decisions made by the referees....teams like Reading will never be able to compete in that league unless we are transformed into a major player like what happened at Man City....unfortunately that took about £1 billion....

...face it, we will always be little old Reading FC.....

You seem to have completely missed the point, the only people that have EVER stated their intent to return to the Premier league asap was Anton, SJM and the Manager.

What really grips my shit is the constant lies from the club, not the fact that we are in a rush to get back to the PL.

For what it's worth i actually agree with you about the PL, however, my expectation levels were raised pre season when the club said that they would spend money and bring in the players to get us promoted, again a load of bullshit to sell season tickets.

And therein lies the problem - show me a direct quote where anyone from the club has said we'd spend money....go on - try it....

You won't find one; do you know why? Because nobody from the club has ever said we'd spend money - it's a figment of a section of the fans imagination, rich Russian owner = spending loads of cash. What the club as actually said all along is that the club would continue to be run in a prudent fashion, and guess what - they've been absolutely true to their word.

If you can criticise anyone within the club, then you could say that Anton doesn't really understand what simpletons some of our fans are, and has been a bit naive in talking about our ambitions in signing players before the deals are actually done.....

Nonetheless, the fact that we've not had a "business complete" release from the club yet (which is normally issued on deadline day), I'm reasonably confident that we might still see a signing or two announced in the next few hours....

Not strictly accurate, both Anton and Adkins mentioned several players coming in AFTER Drenthe, Bridge and Williams, and to date that has not happened.

You are right about not saying "we will spend loads" but they talk about going up, Anton also said he wanted us to establish ourselves as a Premiership club, you need to be very cute/lucky to do that without spending money on transfers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Sep 2013 10:04

loyalroyal4life Regardless of the shambles yesterday, does anyone not think it is time for a change in terms of hammond leaving? He has been at club so long that maybe a new challenge for him and new vision for us may be a good thing?

Be careful what you wish for

TSI are the new Venky's

royaltxd

by royaltxd » 03 Sep 2013 10:12

I have mixed feelings this morning...

I was so excited at the beginning of the season with the owner and NA saying they want to win the league by winning every game and scoring 100 goals (considering my initial thoughts were just consolidate and stop the rot).

This was the club stating this, not the supporters. As a supporter, I bought into this.

With the lack of activity last night, some of our players need to pull their fingers out now to make this a reality.

But I can see us dipping in to the loan market when it reopens next week with a few out of favour gems to be had... Long, Sharp, Sig?? to name only a few.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 10:13

royaltxd But I can see us dipping in to the loan market when it reopens next week with a few out of favour gems to be had... Long, Sharp, Sig?? to name only a few.

Only one of those would drop to the Championship so...

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Sep 2013 10:17

royaltxd I have mixed feelings this morning...

I was so excited at the beginning of the season with the owner and NA saying they want to win the league by winning every game and scoring 100 goals (considering my initial thoughts were just consolidate and stop the rot).

This was the club stating this, not the supporters. As a supporter, I bought into this.

With the lack of activity last night, some of our players need to pull their fingers out now to make this a reality.

But I can see us dipping in to the loan market when it reopens next week with a few out of favour gems to be had... Long, Sharp, Sig?? to name only a few.

If we do get Sissoko and someone decent up front on loan I'd actually be pretty happy ... problem is that at the moment it's a big IF!

royaltxd

by royaltxd » 03 Sep 2013 10:21

MouldyRoyal
royaltxd But I can see us dipping in to the loan market when it reopens next week with a few out of favour gems to be had... Long, Sharp, Sig?? to name only a few.

Only one of those would drop to the Championship so...

Depends on their desire to player regular first team football...

I'm talking a few months loan here, and I don't believe players the calibre of Long/Sharp/Sig are completely out of reach.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Sep 2013 10:22

Everyone needs to calm down. Let's wait until we know people, wait until we know.

MELKSHAM HOOPS

by MELKSHAM HOOPS » 03 Sep 2013 10:22

Reading are hopeful of securing a deal for former Liverpool and Juventus midfielder Momo Sissoko on a free transfer.

The 28-year-old was in Reading yesterday with director of football Nick Hammond but no announcement was made before last night's 11pm transfer deadline.

He has cancelled his contract with current club Paris Saint Germain, however, and is now a free agent, meaning he can sign for a club outside the window.

The Mali international started in his career in France with Auxerre before moving to Spain where he spent two seasons with Valencia.

He then earned a move to Liverpool in 2005 and the following year he played an integral part in the Reds' FA Cup success.

Italian giants Juventus signed him for a fee of just below £10milllion in 2008 and he spent three seasons in Turin before moving to Paris in 2011.

After a good first season, he struggled for game time last year and spent the end of the last campaign on loan in Italy with Fiorentina.

RoyalBoy26

by RoyalBoy26 » 03 Sep 2013 10:24

Either we're going to be all surprised when Reading do make the 'Announcement(s)' or we'll all feel gullible to have bought into feeling excited EVERY deadline day with us getting nobody.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Sep 2013 10:26

Just bumped into Nige at Caffè Nero. He said to expect an announcement shortly.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 10:27

genome Just bumped into Nige at Caffè Nero. He said to expect an announcement shortly.

Double latte?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Sep 2013 10:28

The only player hat will be named today is Sissoko - the full list of transfers has been published so there wont be any extra pre deadline announcements

I would have thought that Sissoko is still being negotitated hence the lack of any announcement still. if he doesnt sign it will be a deadline day disaster. However we only have to look at Drenthe where it took two days after it was common knowledge for an announcement to be made. So clearly there are reasons for keeping quiet currently.

I think timing is always an issue with these things. It we had signed Drenthe, Sissoko and Bridge on deadline day tyhis place would have been in meltdown. But equally reading should have kept their mouths shut about further signings...... I would have thought past experience would have taught them that when it comes to deadline day they dont really operate in a way when they can be totally confident in getting transfers over the line.....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Sep 2013 10:29

Norfolk Royal
genome Just bumped into Nige at Caffè Nero. He said to expect an announcement shortly.

Double latte?

Large skinny mocha, no cream.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Sep 2013 10:29

Only one Trevor Morley The only player hat will be named today is Sissoko - the full list of transfers has been published so there wont be any extra pre deadline announcements

Unless they are loan deals or free agents

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Sep 2013 10:32

TBM
Only one Trevor Morley The only player hat will be named today is Sissoko - the full list of transfers has been published so there wont be any extra pre deadline announcements

Unless they are loan deals or free agents

Yes but as I understand it there wont now be any announcements on loans until the loan window opens again shortly - otherwise why hurry to get loans tied up prior to 11pm yesterday. Obviously free agents can join wheenever but the lack of any reference to a free agent other than Sissoko suiggests it will only be Sissoko (if at all)

Cypry

by Cypry » 03 Sep 2013 10:33

I would have thought that Sissoko is still being negotitated hence the lack of any announcement still. if he doesnt sign it will be a deadline day disaster. However we only have to look at Drenthe where it took two days after it was common knowledge for an announcement to be made. So clearly there are reasons for keeping quiet currently.

I think timing is always an issue with these things. It we had signed Drenthe, Sissoko and Bridge on deadline day tyhis place would have been in meltdown. But equally reading should have kept their mouths shut about further signings...... I would have thought past experience would have taught them that when it comes to deadline day they dont really operate in a way when they can be totally confident in getting transfers over the line.....

Got a link?

223 posts