RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

171 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jul 2015 20:46

linkenholtroyal I was being sarcastic and I think Forster was playing In the equivalent of league 1 at that point

When we signed Forster he dropped down a division to join us and he'd previously scored at a good rate in League Two (our division). He was a big money signing at that level and nothing like a young and unproven player like Kitson or Doyle.

Lita, as a £1m signing wasn't either.

When Cureton came to us, again to play in what was then League Two, he was about as proven a goalscorer at that level as you could wish for. He'd been consistently banging them in for Rovers for 3 or 4 seasons and how we got him on the cheap as we did was excellent business, some might say a bargain!

At the same time we also spent £750k on Martin Butler, another proven scorer at the level we were playing at. His partnerships with Cureton and Forster where fundamental in the success we had around that time but we'd paid big money for 2 of them so it just goes to show that although Doyle and Kitson were good cheap gambles we've had just as much success buying proven players as well.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Jul 2015 22:09

SC so far has impressed me with his management of out going, over paid players and the quality of the 3 confirmed incoming signings so far this summer. Maybe we should trust him that Donaldson fits his stratagy for 2015/16 and if he believes 1mil + is justified then we should back his judgment. He has the owners backing, he should have ours.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2015 23:18

Hoop Blah
linkenholtroyal I was being sarcastic and I think Forster was playing In the equivalent of league 1 at that point

When we signed Forster he dropped down a division to join us and he'd previously scored at a good rate in League Two* (our division). He was a big money signing at that level and nothing like a young and unproven player like Kitson or Doyle.

Lita, as a £1m signing wasn't either.

When Cureton came to us, again to play in what was then League Two*he was about as proven a goalscorer at that level as you could wish for. He'd been consistently banging them in for Rovers for 3 or 4 seasons and how we got him on the cheap as we did was excellent business, some might say a bargain!

At the same time we also spent £750k on Martin Butler, another proven scorer at the level we were playing at. His partnerships with Cureton and Forster where fundamental in the success we had around that time but we'd paid big money for 2 of them so it just goes to show that although Doyle and Kitson were good cheap gambles we've had just as much success buying proven players as well.

* Pedant mode - Division 2 (old Division 3)

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Jul 2015 23:21

Back Steve Clarke, I kinda think he knows more about the game than we do

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2015 23:27

Yeah, but so did Brendan Rodgers, Terry Bullivant and Tommy Burns.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 01 Jul 2015 23:31

Yawn... Move on ... Reading fc has!

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 02 Jul 2015 19:39

Oilroyal SC so far has impressed me with his management of out going, over paid players and the quality of the 3 confirmed incoming signings so far this summer. Maybe we should trust him that Donaldson fits his stratagy for 2015/16 and if he believes 1mil + is justified then we should back his judgment. He has the owners backing, he should have ours.

Totally agree. ..good post

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 02 Jul 2015 21:21

Hoop Blah
RoyallyFcuked Personally, I think we should be trying to sign a young striker with good potential from either League One or Two.

So maybe Tom Bradshaw from Walsall or Tom Nichols from Exeter?

Why?

We have a youth system that's churning out players who need a chance. Both Samuel and Tanner are good prospects who should be involved this season so why buy in players of similar ages and potential?

Fair point, I do agree that Tanner and particularly Samuel deserve a chance, but my main point was if we were actually going to spend £1M plus on Donaldson why not buy someone else who could get you 15+ goals in the championship? If not a young player with potential then at least another proven striker who is younger than Donaldson.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2015 21:54

Probs cos we're not going to get another 15+ goal champ striker for a mill. Young and hungry players don't come cheap these days either. Wolves paid 2.5m for Afobe. Assombalonga cost Forest a fortune. On the flip side, Cardiff paid around £750k for that Chesterfield bloke and he's been shite.

Tommio

by Tommio » 02 Jul 2015 21:57

Pepe the Horseman Probs cos we're not going to get another 15+ goal champ striker for a mill. Young and hungry players don't come cheap these days either. Wolves paid 2.5m for Afobe. Assombalonga cost Forest a fortune. On the flip side, Cardiff paid around £750k for that Chesterfield bloke and he's been shite.

5 goals in 16. Could be worse?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jul 2015 22:11

Shite might have been a bit harsh then.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2015 23:51

RoyallyFcuked Fair point, I do agree that Tanner and particularly Samuel deserve a chance, but my main point was if we were actually going to spend £1M plus on Donaldson why not buy someone else who could get you 15+ goals in the championship? If not a young player with potential then at least another proven striker who is younger than Donaldson.

Because we've already got Nick Blackman....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jul 2015 09:22

Oilroyal Yawn... Move on ... Reading fc has!

+1

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 03 Jul 2015 18:22

Hoop Blah
RoyallyFcuked Fair point, I do agree that Tanner and particularly Samuel deserve a chance, but my main point was if we were actually going to spend £1M plus on Donaldson why not buy someone else who could get you 15+ goals in the championship? If not a young player with potential then at least another proven striker who is younger than Donaldson.

Because we've already got Nick Blackman....

Blackman was never was any good though and it was a poor signing but we've only got ourselves to blame there as he hadn't even proven he was good enough even at League One level let alone the Championship.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2015 09:05

Still interested in Clayton apparently. Mr Howe says he is hopeful the club will bring in two more strikers namely Donaldson and Beric.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Jul 2015 09:05

We're gonna have A LOT of strikers.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 07 Jul 2015 09:12

YOU'RE gonna have a lot of strikers.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Jul 2015 09:14

Pepe the Horseman We're gonna have A LOT of strikers.

Intention might be to persuade Pog to leave .... i.e. 'Sure you can stay and sit on the bench or play in the reserves all season .... or you can go somewhere else maybe .... and accept a lower wage ....'

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2015 09:21

Royalwaster
Pepe the Horseman We're gonna have A LOT of strikers.

Intention might be to persuade Pog to leave .... i.e. 'Sure you can stay and sit on the bench or play in the reserves all season .... or you can go somewhere else maybe .... and accept a lower wage ....'

Let's hope they aren't that stupid !
Why force Pog to do nothing for his wages ?
It would be much better to use the influx of strikers to get Pog playing consistently well, with the bait that he can earn himself a move somewhere good if he knocks in 20 goals for us this season.
Isolating your highest earner seems a fatally flawed plan !!
Hemay also struggle to find a reserve team to play for at Reading

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Jul 2015 09:24

Beric, Donaldson and Sa all seem a bit similar to me. Could do with a quick striker who can get in behind. Or is that Samuel?

171 posts