RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

171 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

by Royalwaster » 07 Jul 2015 10:13

Nameless
Royalwaster
Pepe the Horseman We're gonna have A LOT of strikers.

Intention might be to persuade Pog to leave .... i.e. 'Sure you can stay and sit on the bench or play in the reserves all season .... or you can go somewhere else maybe .... and accept a lower wage ....'

Let's hope they aren't that stupid !
Why force Pog to do nothing for his wages ?
It would be much better to use the influx of strikers to get Pog playing consistently well, with the bait that he can earn himself a move somewhere good if he knocks in 20 goals for us this season.
Isolating your highest earner seems a fatally flawed plan !!
Hemay also struggle to find a reserve team to play for at Reading

No my point is to get him to leave so that this doesn't happen .... I quite like the Pog but just don't think he's a striker.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 07 Jul 2015 10:49

Signing another striker wouldn't push Pog out. Pog is better than Samuel & Cox. It would put another nail in Cox's coffin though.

I agree that Pog isn't an out and out striker though. Would like to see 'through the centre' type of midfield:

------------- Norwood -------
McCleary ------- Quinn
---------------- Pog ----------------

Have Quinny & GMac as CM's instead of wingers.

Therefore, sell Cox & HRK.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 10:58

Pepe the Horseman Beric, Donaldson and Sa all seem a bit similar to me. Could do with a quick striker who can get in behind. Or is that Samuel?

Not sure on Beric, but he sounds like a play off the shoulder kind of forward, albeit without the blistering pace you probably want.

Surely Donaldson is the pacey though isn't he? Again, perhaps he's not Nicky Forster or Naki Wells kind of quick, but he's no Pogrebnyak is he?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 10:59

RoyallyFcuked
Hoop Blah Because we've already got Nick Blackman....

Blackman was never was any good though and it was a poor signing but we've only got ourselves to blame there as he hadn't even proven he was good enough even at League One level let alone the Championship.

The point is that the club and McDermott obviously thought he was good enough to blow over a million quid on him.

It's just not that easy, or cheap, to go out and by a keen to impress youngster from the lower divisions who's going to succeed in the way you want them to.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Jul 2015 11:00

Hoop Blah
Pepe the Horseman Beric, Donaldson and Sa all seem a bit similar to me. Could do with a quick striker who can get in behind. Or is that Samuel?

Not sure on Beric, but he sounds like a play off the shoulder kind of forward, albeit without the blistering pace you probably want.

Surely Donaldson is the pacey though isn't he? Again, perhaps he's not Nicky Forster or Naki Wells kind of quick, but he's no Pogrebnyak is he?

I was just going on his goals from last season, most of them were right place, right time types.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 11:26

The comments from the Rapid fans probably back that up too to be fair.

I meant more that he's bit like Le Fondre in playing off the shoulder, not that he's going to run in behind through pure pace (one of the comments I just read on the other thread says he's not fast).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Jul 2015 11:29

Sorry, meant Donaldson!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2015 15:13

Oh.

I thought he was pretty quick, but still more Jason Roberts or Shane Long than Nicky Forster I guess so your point probably still stands if you want someone with genuine pace.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 07 Jul 2015 15:38

Donaldson is very quick. He aint anything like Pog.

Moogoescow

by Moogoescow » 07 Jul 2015 18:00

Beric sounds more like the kind of player you play into, then play off of, it's not to bad if he doesn't have pace as long as the wingers do, but like everyone's saying we have pog and sa who aren't exactly road runner or speedy Gonzalez, depends on what football we want to play, of its hoof it into the box and get your head on it then beric probably isn't the best guy for that

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Jul 2015 10:55

Ipswich apparently put an offer in of up to £2m which CW says we wont go to.

Jano

by Jano » 10 Jul 2015 11:01

He'd have to be Tyson Gay or Justin Gatlin to justify spending £2m on him considering his age and "rawness".

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 10 Jul 2015 11:14

Good. Not worth more than 750k.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Jul 2015 13:34

Apparently Ipswich are going to bid £1.2m, I want us to sign him but that's about as far as I'd go. He's not worth more than that.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 Jul 2015 14:53

RoyallyFcuked Apparently Ipswich are going to bid £1.2m, I want us to sign him but that's about as far as I'd go. He's not worth more than that.

Maybe not but if we can sell HRK for £4m :lol: then why not pay a few quid more for Clayton.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jul 2015 14:55

Rather we paid a little bit more for someone a bit younger, but the logic is soundish.

If Donaldson was 2 or 3 years younger I would agree totally with you.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2015 18:09

tee peg
RoyallyFcuked Apparently Ipswich are going to bid £1.2m, I want us to sign him but that's about as far as I'd go. He's not worth more than that.

Maybe not but if we can sell HRK for £4m :lol: then why not pay a few quid more for Clayton.

I'd rather we bought a left winger with any money from HRK as it'll leave us with err... Fosu and sort of Blackman.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 Jul 2015 18:17

Ian Royal
tee peg

I'd rather we bought a left winger with any money from HRK as it'll leave us with err... Fosu and sort of Blackman.

I dont care who we buy as long as we sell HRK.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 10 Jul 2015 18:22

tee peg

I know, just imagine. If we are already prepared to pay £3m plus for Beric, then that's his transfer fee right there. Then there would no excuse for not going out and getting a good quality replacement left winger (which as Ian said, we also need), for £2m plus as well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Jul 2015 16:42

Ian Royal
tee peg

You're absolutely right. A clone of McCleary with a left wand would be what we need, although I've got more belief in Blackman than I do HRK.

I don't think Donaldson is good enough but if Ipswich are in for him then maybe I'm wrong. Mick is no mug at this level.

171 posts