RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

171 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2015 11:21

Nameless I get the impression the ground work has been done, the players identified, the money made available and we are getting the business done.

It does seem that way, and Clarke kind of hinted at it the other day in his Ascot interview.

I'm still not sure we should just be chucking extra £200k's around like confetti but I can't see the Thai's or Clarke being too wasteful so I'm not going to worry about it for them, I've faith that they, along with Hammond, will do the right thing, at least more so than Zingaravich anyway.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2015 11:31

Hoop Blah
Nameless I get the impression the ground work has been done, the players identified, the money made available and we are getting the business done.

It does seem that way, and Clarke kind of hinted at it the other day in his Ascot interview.

I'm still not sure we should just be chucking extra £200k's around like confetti but I can't see the Thai's or Clarke being too wasteful so I'm not going to worry about it for them, I've faith that they, along with Hammond, will do the right thing, at least more so than Zingaravich anyway.

Maybe there is £1.2 million in the budget for him, or there was £2.5 million for 2 strikers so even at a million we're under budget...
Who knows !!!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 30 Jun 2015 11:32

Kuhl_Runnings When he scored against us a few months ago I said to my brother how we could use a player like him. Although he is decently old, he still has bags of pace, a fierce shot and great attacking positioning. A bit like Cox

Since we lost Long, and to an extent Roberts, we've not had a striker who has been able to chase lost causes and win us throws, corners free kicks etc up the pitch and relieve pressure. You need a blend of youth and experience, and we have a lot of young players so as long as the offer for Donaldosn isn't a large percentage of the budget then we could do worse

JIM

by JIM » 30 Jun 2015 11:59

Must remember the wage bill. as well as transfer fee

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2015 12:03

JIM Must remember the wage bill. as well as transfer fee

Presumably we wouldn't be chasing him if we didn't think we could afford his wages though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2015 13:29

I've emailed Nick Hammond just in case he's forgotten the wages bit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2015 13:33

Obviously goals were a big problem for us, and we're still lumbered wiyh Pog (not looking good for him if we sign 2 strikers)

I'm just concerned we're more desperate for warm bodies at LB, LW, CB and GK. the current signings suggest that Ferdinand might be fit, or that Clarke really rates our young left siders and Sweeney and Keown.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jun 2015 13:40

Ian Royal Obviously goals were a big problem for us, and we're still lumbered wiyh Pog (not looking good for him if we sign 2 strikers)

I'm just concerned we're more desperate for warm bodies at LB, LW, CB and GK. the current signings suggest that Ferdinand might be fit, or that Clarke really rates our young left siders and Sweeney and Keown.

Or that some signings that are being worked on will take longer than others to get done perhaps?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2015 13:57

CW says we are pursuing our interest so presumably we'll make a third bid shortly.....

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Jun 2015 14:04

CW says dogs can't look up.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2015 14:08

Ian Royal Obviously goals were a big problem for us, and we're still lumbered wiyh Pog (not looking good for him if we sign 2 strikers)

Not sure words like 'desperate' are needed now, Clarke seems to be on the case !

If Ferdinand is fit (which the Chicago trip at least suggests might be the case) then that's handy. I doubt Keown or Sweeny will jump ahead of Dickie or Hyam though. We're not short of defensive talent !

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Jun 2015 15:04

Talent agreed, what we're lacking is a bit of experience in the middle at the back. If Ferdinand can get fit and stay that way he'll be exactly what we need.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2015 18:27

Hoop Blah

Or that some signings that are being worked on will take longer than others to get done perhaps?

I guess I'm just surprised we can afford to sign two strikers, a midfielder and then one - two goalkeepers, a left back and a left winger. Monetarily and considering integrating new players in large numbers rarely works. But as you point out, still early days.

clearly we're after a cb and a gk... it concerns me that the other two might not be on Clarke's priority list and he's not done a good enough job so far to have my faith that he get it right.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2015 18:52

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah

I guess I'm just surprised we can afford to sign two strikers, a midfielder and then one - two goalkeepers, a left back and a left winger. Monetarily and considering integrating new players in large numbers rarely works. But as you point out, still early days.

clearly we're after a cb and a gk... it concerns me that the other two might not be on Clarke's priority list and he's not done a good enough job so far to have my faith that he get it right.

I'd probably take Clarke's view on priorities than anyone on HNA !
Not getting the signings right does not equal not signing what the HNA Massive wants....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2015 18:56

I'm hardly going to say the opinion I hold is wrong, just because I'm an HNA? spazz, and accept Clarke's possible view because he's a professional manager. They regularly get it wrong. And he's done very little to make me trust his judgement over mine. Unlike the likes of Coppell, Pardew and many others.

It'd be pretty oxf*rd dull* round here if everyone just said what they thought doesn't matter and the club / manager will have it right whatever they do.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 30 Jun 2015 19:23

Apparently we've just had a 1.6m bid rejected. plz stop bidding now.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jun 2015 19:34

If we had this guy, Sa, and Pog, would you play Pog wide in midfield
(e.g. instead of HRK) or would one be on the bench?

Could we work a 433 with Pog wide?

Of course, if we really are after two extra strikers, with Pog, Cox, Samuel already here,
presumably someone is leaving?

Esteban

by Esteban » 30 Jun 2015 19:35

blueroyals Apparently we've just had a 1.6m bid rejected. plz stop bidding now.

I doubt we'd chance our arm for two bids then suddenly double our offer.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 30 Jun 2015 19:50

Snowball If we had this guy, Sa, and Pog, would you play Pog wide in midfield
(e.g. instead of HRK) or would one be on the bench?

Could we work a 433 with Pog wide?

Of course, if we really are after two extra strikers, with Pog, Cox, Samuel already here,
presumably someone is leaving?

Honestly not sure if serious.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jun 2015 20:13

blueroyals Apparently we've just had a 1.6m bid rejected. plz stop bidding now.

+1

£1.6m is crazy money for Donaldson

171 posts