RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

171 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RUMOUR- Clayton Donaldson

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2015 20:37

Snowball If we had this guy, Sa, and Pog, would you play Pog wide in midfield
(e.g. instead of HRK) or would one be on the bench?

God no.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jun 2015 22:32

blueroyals Apparently we've just had a 1.6m bid rejected. plz stop bidding now.

Doubt it

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jun 2015 23:18

Ian Royal

God no.

Ian, I've asked you before, please don't use my real name on the board.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jun 2015 23:19

Perfectly serious.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Jul 2015 08:27

Ian Royal

God no.

Play him as CB ... very good with headers *cough* and very pacy *choke* .... and shouldn't score any own goals.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 01 Jul 2015 09:49

I'm sorry - £1M for a 31 year old from the lower-leagues??

Has RFC gone stark raving mad???

We couldn't find 600k to land Mackie but we can find almost double that for a journeyman striker whose best years are well behind him? York/Crewe/Brentford then a season in Chump with Brum??

Clarke is clearly the new Burns - an out of his depth kid in a sweet shop.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Jul 2015 09:57

strap I'm sorry - £1M for a 31 year old from the lower-leagues??

We couldn't find 600k to land Mackie but we can find almost double that for a journeyman striker whose best years are well behind him? York/Crewe/Brentford then a season in Chump with Brum??

Completely agree (minus the Clarke dig).

We could easily spend £1m on a younger up and coming League 1 striker with a few goals under his belt. Someone like a Will Grigg (yes I know he's just been promoted with MK Dons but just an example).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jul 2015 10:04

The fee wasn't the problem with Mackie, it was his wages.

Plus Mackie's as much of a journeyman as Donaldson, only a year and a half younger than him, and has a much poorer scoring record .

JamesWN

by JamesWN » 01 Jul 2015 10:06

Much rather take Cifti as Wigan have had a £1m bid accepted for a young, talented, agile and fast striker... Something we lack

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Jul 2015 10:08

I thought we established he was abitofacunt?

Jano

by Jano » 01 Jul 2015 10:22

If, and it's obviously a questionable if, the bids are 500k and then 800k plus add ons, it's not so bad. Can't really see us getting promoted/play offs any time soon so if he does a job for a year or two then moves on I can see the sense seeing as any add ons, unless games played or goal scored based shouldn't really be triggered. However when your talking about £1m+ and add ons on top for a 31 year old, considering Readings history of purchasing, it seems to me like someone at the club has gone stark raving mad (or maybe won the euromillions).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jul 2015 10:31

The thing is, why would he want to leave a team top of the league to a team in 21st?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jul 2015 10:36

Donaldson's on like a third wages wise of what Mackie is. That difference alone is about £725,000 a year. if you give both two years then a fee would have been effectively negated by the wages. Plus Donaldson's goal return rate.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 01 Jul 2015 10:38

I know I have said this before but I would rather get a youngster like Tom Nichols I know I have mentioned him before but 29 appearances and 17 goals last season, offer Exeter 500 k and they will probably bite your arm off, also offer 750k for James Collins of Shrewsbury there you go it gives you 2 young options who scored 35 goals between them last season. ok that was in league 2 but they are young so have time to grow and you get 2 strikers for the same price and they are less likely to get injured and between them they are likely to produce 1 good striker. Donaldson is a gap filler not a future signing.
If we did get to the Prem in the next 2 seasons which is at the moment I know highly unlikely he would be 32/33 and unless his fitness levels or ability are very Special he will not be with us so in my eyes a waste of 1 million ish pound.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jul 2015 10:57

linkenholtroyal I know I have said this before but I would rather get a youngster like Tom Nichols I know I have mentioned him before but 29 appearances and 17 goals last season, offer Exeter 500 k and they will probably bite your arm off, also offer 750k for James Collins of Shrewsbury there you go it gives you 2 young options who scored 35 goals between them last season. ok that was in league 2 but they are young so have time to grow and you get 2 strikers for the same price and they are less likely to get injured and between them they are likely to produce 1 good striker. Donaldson is a gap filler not a future signing.
If we did get to the Prem in the next 2 seasons which is at the moment I know highly unlikely he would be 32/33 and unless his fitness levels or ability are very Special he will not be with us so in my eyes a waste of 1 million ish pound.

Waste of £1M if he plays a significant part in getting us promoted to the PL?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 01 Jul 2015 11:00

Winston Smith
linkenholtroyal I know I have said this before but I would rather get a youngster like Tom Nichols I know I have mentioned him before but 29 appearances and 17 goals last season, offer Exeter 500 k and they will probably bite your arm off, also offer 750k for James Collins of Shrewsbury there you go it gives you 2 young options who scored 35 goals between them last season. ok that was in league 2 but they are young so have time to grow and you get 2 strikers for the same price and they are less likely to get injured and between them they are likely to produce 1 good striker. Donaldson is a gap filler not a future signing.

rather spend another year in champ bring 2 youngsters on and have more of a chance of staying there if we do get back there......

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jul 2015 11:06

If Donaldson is a gap filled for Samuel/Novakovich/Cardwell to step up into, I'd be fine with that.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Jul 2015 11:18

thing is we don't need youngsters trying to step up and learning the championship, i would much rather a experienced striker who can set the ground running. Fine bring in a youngster to compliment experience but not to pin our hopes on.

At the moment we have Cox - who i am sure will not be with us come the end of this window considering we now have pog sa samuel and potentially Donaldson.

Pog - Not prolific

Samuel - Untested at this level

Sa - untested at this level

At least with Donaldson we will have someone who is proven at this level to score goals i don't believe we can risk going for another striker that is untested at this level

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jul 2015 11:21

linkenholtroyal
Winston Smith

rather spend another year in champ bring 2 youngsters on and have more of a chance of staying there if we do get back there......

No guarantee that the 2 unidentified youngster in your scenario would give us a better chance of staying there.

I am going to further your nonsensical wild assumptions by saying one of the 2 youngsters will be arrested for fiddling crimes and the other turn out to be a food addict and bloat out. We break the record for least points in the top division ever.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 01 Jul 2015 11:46

The fee was never an issue, we could not meet Mackie's wage demands, QPR could, it's that simple

171 posts